Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else seen this about QPR and World War One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else seen this about QPR and World War One?

https://www.forclubandcountry.org.uk/fundraisers/qpr

It would be nice if we could reach the target. We had a large number of players that died in the Great War compared to a lot of clubs, especially given our size.

Perhaps this could be pinned by the website administrators?
    First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

My thoughts have been with my three great uncles who were killed in the great war yesterday and every day, 2 serving in the Middlesex Regiment and one in the Royal Artillery.

They were born in Hammersmith,3 of 13, maybe they supported us, I will never know, the Germans killed them in Flanders.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

Sorry for being emotional, but last night listening to these words from the ceremy at Thierry Woods effected me.
    I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
      My thoughts have been with my three great uncles who were killed in the great war yesterday and every day, 2 serving in the Middlesex Regiment and one in the Royal Artillery.

They were born in Hammersmith,3 of 13, maybe they supported us, I will never know, the Germans killed them in Flanders.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

Sorry for being emotional, but last night listening to these words from the ceremy at Thierry Woods effected me.
      I don't know of any relatives of mine that died in the war but I often get emotional when I hear the last post.
      So sad that so many young men didn't get to live their lives to the full.
      Most of us don't know how lucky we are.
      “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
      Will Danaher

Comment

My great grandfather survived the First World War. Remember going to see him on Sunday nights to his house in braybrook street,me dad asking him for a snout and him scratching around in some drawer making out he didn't have any left.lovely old man that seemed to have his armchair attached to his back like a snail has his shell.never see the old bleeder move out of it.
        "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
        London Pride is a flower that's free.
        London Pride means our own dear town to us,
        And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

the war to end all wars, if only. Well done Hammersmith for putting this up. I'll be making a donation
          I must away now, I can no longer tarry
          This morning's tempest I have to cross
          I must be guided without a stumble
          Into the arms I love the most

Comment

good article, sad though. when you learn about the smaller details of a dead soldiers life it always hits a bit harder...

dont know of any relatives who fought in the 1st world war but had a few in ww2, my maternal great granddad was maltese and fought in the siege of malta and eventually got captured by the japanese later in the war, my mum told me stories about how his fingers and toes were crushed by the japanese during his torture.
            my girlfriends great uncle was evacuated from dunkirk though, he almost died there too after he fell under water and couldnt swim back up, luckily for him though a civilian sailor saw him go under and dragged him back out although my gf can remember him being like a broken man who would drink and shake a lot coz of the war. always found that quite sad tbh, 50-60 years on he was still effected by what experienced in the war and still was until the day he died

Comment

Working...
            X