QPR fans with no connections to London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QPR fans with no connections to London

Are there any QPR fans on here (or does anyone know any) with no personal connections to W12 or even London itself?

I recently watched "The QPR story" DVD that talked about fans who live, or used to live near Loftus Road. I then wondered about QPR fans with no connections to W12 or even London itself.

If you've got no connections to London, why did you pick QPR and what makes QPR special? There must be some interesting stories here.

i'm from bracknell and traditionally my family support chelsea apart from my dad who's a fulham fan. i used to support chelsea until roman bought them out and i didn't like the idea of supporting a team that buys success (ironic in the end aint it?). didn't really support any team for a bit but then started playing as qpr on fifa, the main thing that drew me to them was the name haha. i remember when i decided to support us though, me and my dad were taking the dogs for a walk and i asked him where qpr are based, he told me west london so i pretty much decided to start following them that night, we had just been promoted from league 1 and the fact i thought ian holloway was hilarious drew me in too. i was only 10 or 11 at the time so forgive my fickle start to the pains of being an rs supporter.

went to my first game in 2006 when i was on holiday in devon, my dad surprised me by taking me to plymouth away. i can't remember the result though, only that i was awe struck. qpr is now a huge part of my life and i drive my gf mad coz i drum on a bit about qpr sometimes, i got worse after i got my first season ticket last season (renewed for this one too) as i got hooked on the qpr bug quite eagerly, nothing is quite as good a feeling as the rush of adrenaline and excitement you get when we score or the positive mood you get for an entire week when we do win. supporting a smaller club is great imo, every win and success means so much more than what bigger teams get, that's why guys like stan bowels are legends here nearly 40 years on, he brought the club success and was a true great on the pitch for us. if he'd have played for say, liverpool, i doubt liverpool supporters my age would even know who he is.

screw all the current turmoil and despite all the ridiculous lows we've had i'll still love qpr to my dying day even if it is a severely abusive relationship

Comment

Thanks for your great story Corbray.

That's very interesting you're from Bracknell and were drawn to QPR around the time Reading got promoted to the Premier League in their 106 point season. I would have thought there was a lot of local interest in Reading as that isn't too far from Bracknell.

Comment

there was and still is whenever reading have good seasons. when reading got promoted bracknell went from a mixed bunch of supporters to 90% reading, i cant stand it as they're a proper glory hunting lot and act like theyve been supporting reading their whole lives, yet the second reading do bad people go back to professing their love for arsenal or man utd etc.

it does my nut in haha!

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
          there was and still is whenever reading have good seasons. when reading got promoted bracknell went from a mixed bunch of supporters to 90% reading, i cant stand it as they're a proper glory hunting lot and act like theyve been supporting reading their whole lives, yet the second reading do bad people go back to professing their love for arsenal or man utd etc.

it does my nut in haha!
          one of my boys lives in binfield we've done some miles watching the rangers , long may it continue . there's something about reading the place and supporters i hugely dislike

Comment

The mixed bunch you describe in Bracknell happens everywhere. The book "Why England Lose" talks about this and makes for an interesting read.

Comment

I am from the States where, beginning five years ago, premiere league soccer was introduced on a regular basis to us by Fox Sports and, most recently NBC Sports. Having played competitive soccer here through college, I was looking for a team to root for. Was watching a televised QPR game under Hughes when they were playing a team that soundly thrashed them. The commentators kept talking about how dysfunctional they were despite all their high-priced players, that they were going to be relegated, and the future was in trouble.

Given I like rooting for the proverbial underdog, I knew I'd found my team. From that moment on, have religiously followed the Rangers through promotions and relegations, including the thriller at Wembley. Here in America that's often meant following them live on game day through the only option I had: BBC Radio. Would close my office door countless days on Saturdays to revel in the highs and lows, the Austins and the Bartons and the Hoiletts, with all asking why I suddenly had such passion for this team. Can't explain it to this day, but continue following their every move, their every game, with total relish. Am slated to be in London in late September, when I'll be able to see my fourth live game (seen two at Loftus Road and one at the Emirates v Arsenal) this time versus Burton-Albion.

Believe the team has many challenges ahead, but ultimately will renew its relationship with the Premiere League. Best to all fellow Rangers fans everywhere.
              Last edited by Qprtanpa1; 30-07-2017, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
                I am from the States where, beginning five years ago, premiere league soccer was introduced on a regular basis to us by Fox Sports and, most recently NBC Sports. Having played competitive soccer here through college, I was looking for a team to root for. Was watching a televised QPR game under Hughes when they were playing a team that soundly thrashed them. The commentators kept talking about how dysfunctional they were despite all their high-priced players, that they were going to be relegated, and the future was in trouble.

Given I like rooting for the proverbial underdog, I knew I'd found my team. From that moment on, have religiously followed the Rangers through promotions and relegations, including the thriller at Wembley. Here in America that's often meant following them live on game day through the only option I had: BBC Radio. Would close my office door countless days on Saturdays to revel in the highs and lows, the Austins and the Bartons and the Hoiletts, with all asking why I suddenly had such passion for this team. Can't explain it to this day, but continue following their every move, their every game, with total relish. Am slated to be in London in late September, when I'll be able to see my fourth live game (seen two at Loftus Road and one at the Emirates v Arsenal) this time versus Burton-Albion.

Believe the team has many challenges ahead, but ultimately will renew its relationship with the Premiere League. Best to all fellow Rangers fans everywhere.
                Do you live in Tanpa ?
                "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
                London Pride is a flower that's free.
                London Pride means our own dear town to us,
                And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

coming home on the SouthWestern trains you hear all sorts of accents who support the r's. Not all of them with a London accent
                  Last edited by lymehoop; 30-07-2017, 08:19 AM.
                  I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                  This morning's tempest I have to cross
                  I must be guided without a stumble
                  Into the arms I love the most

Comment

From Northern Ireland. Fell in love in 82. Loved the way they played against Hoddle, Villa and Ardilles etc. Hate the glory hunters over here. QPR for life.

Comment

How many times can tanpa use the word soccer, seriously grates me.
                      I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                        i agree. oh and tanpa if you could refer to the "usa" as the rebel colonies too that'd be much appreciated thanks!

Comment

Born and bred in norfolk....have even got the six fingers to prove it!!! Going back to the early eighties my dad used to support Norwich and my 2 older brothers spurs and Liverpool,parents even bought me a man utd kit but didnt feel anything towards any of these clubs.
                          Always get asked this question "why i support Qpr" and the reason is that i remember watching them on the telly, loved the strip and the style of football and then started to follow the club more and my love for it grew. 1st game i visited loftus road was in 87,and was amazed by the atmosphere. Certainly have been through thick and thin with our success ever since but the R's will always be my club....even tho i do moan about them a lot nowadays...just want the best for them,as we all do.
                          Do try to get to a few games each season but with family,work and travel makes it a bit harder to do sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                            Haha twice, remind not to repeat myself!
                            The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese....

Comment

Originally posted by loneranger View Post
                              Do you live in Tanpa ?
                              Tampa, yes. Am sure you're looking at my 'tanpa1' handle on this site. Done so the trolls at other clubs can't find me

Comment

Working...
                              X