Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldskoolturk View Post
    Good thread!

I think there's a lot of positive things going on. Yes there have been a huge huge number of mistakes from the board down but they are now cutting their cloth accordingly.

I actually think the squad is pretty decent. Looking at a man for man comparison of who would be a replacement I genuinely can't see any position, other than maybe RB where I would say we have a problem.

We are getting a really good, solid youth system in place and are already seeing the rewards of that. He's made a lot of mistakes but Les has to be given credit for putting Ramsey in there and Ramsey deserves a lot of credit for restructuring the youth set up too to bottom. The results (i.e. Players coming through) are starting to speak for themselves.

For me there are two issues and one main reason why I don't think we will improve as a club. The main reason is Holloway. I don't rate him at all. Full of bluster and quotes, reminds me of Boris Johnson but without the intelligence and planning behind the buffoon public persona. He took us from safe mid table to scraping survival. No tactical nous, no planning, no thinking on your feet. He's the mackie of managers, beat your chest hard enough and hope that covers your all round failings.

Alongside that is the coaching set up and the lack of improvement we see in players. There are very few players that I can remember who have improved since coming to us. Keepers aside I genuinely can't think of anyone who you can hand on heart say they have developed since being in the first team. The coaching set up is inconsistent and rubbish.

Which brings me into my second issue: Groundhog Day. Sack manager in October, appoint a new one in November, struggle for rest of the season, give them pre season, struggle tiles October. Sack manager in October........

If we are a club in development we need a steady pair of hands. A Gary monk or an allardyce or a hodgson. An experienced hand who can give stability, structure and who we can give time to. No more experiments, no more up and coming, no more ex managers out of work, not whilst we are in the transition phase as a club.

Address this and I think we have a good chance of progression because I genuinely feel we have a good squad.

Sorry for the long post haha

Good post and love the 'Mackie of Managers'.

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
    I have an issue with the current manager. But I think the fact he was even considered in the first place points to much bigger issues at the club.

Personally, I don't care how big Tony Fernandes' wallet is, or if he buys the fans a pint after the game, or if he's run a successful airline or whatever else. He's not a football man and he doesn't understand the game. Ok, he's getting better at surrounding himself with people who do understand the game better. That said, I have little faith in Les as a DoF either.

Unfortunately, I don't see a quick fix. The current regime have sunk so much cash into the club over the last 5 years that they'd be daft to walk away whilst we are at rock bottom. I also suspect that them walking could spark a chain of events that could leave us in a lot of bother.

I suppose all we can do is hope that lessons have been learned and better times are ahead.......even if it is hard to see that right now!
    Not much to argue with there tbh.

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    The above is what i think plus lack of comms between fans and club,lack of honesty and the whole FFP scenario makes us look a disorganised
    bunch of amateurs who say a lot and promise a lot but actually achieve nothing in real terms,which i suppose equals BS.
    I would also add a very poor scouting network which was one of our major plus points,hopefully with Penrice etc this will improve
    but only time will tell.
    One last point the catastrophic signings of some individuals,i wont call them players but we all know who they are.
    Caulker drink and gambling problems
    Boswinga just a money grabbing
    Barton just to much baggage
    Samba just a total knee jerk signing

and the list goes on and not only signing them but the contracts they were given utter nonsense doesnt any one do their homework for christ sake.
    Re the signings, most of those players were signed whilst Phil Beard was the Chief Executive. He was involved in negotiations over transfer fees , wages and length of contract yet knew next to nothing about football. And he was appointed by Fernandes because of the work he could do in respect of a new stadium and training ground.
    This was a major error on TF's behalf. He could have appointed him for that role specifically and a football person to do the CE role.

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
      I agree with most of this. My only concern is will the DoF ever appoint a manager who would undermine his position? No!
      Agree. I actually think the modern game needs a DOF. Just not sure we have the right one. DOF needs to be background, not seen not heard but getting on efficiently. Les, sadly, seems to be front centre most of the time

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
        I think it is the whole coaching team. He should have picked decent staff to compensate for his weaknesses , Bircham and a defensive coach from a team that is no longer in the league does not really inspire me.
        We would have been better spending wages on this rather than a DOF ,a Head Scout and Scouting Consultant and whatever job was created for the P E teacher.
        Agree with the coaching issue, but think that the scouting is heading in the right direction and Ramsey is now doing the job he is good at (he should just been left there and not put in charge of the 1st team).

Comment

So you want to get rid of the new scouts and head of youth development just as results are starting to show?
          Penrice is not ours to get rid of. He is a freelance scout. Ramsey is not HOYD but a Technical Director.

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
            Penrice is not ours to get rid of. He is a freelance scout. Ramsey is not HOYD but a Technical Director.
            is penrice still freelance?? i thought he started working for us as our chief of recruitment or some other strange title.

tbh though ramsay has been excellent in his role from what we've all seen, and thats the mass of youth thats been brought in and who're coming into the first team. i dont think les has done as terrible a job as made out though, hes worked with what hes got and yes hes made mistakes but no where near the level of tony/beard/rigg. if anything hes tried to do what was asked of him, reduce tge wage bill and try rebuild the squad. hes brought in some gems like grant hall and smithies for example

Comment

I see a lot of posts of people saying "the problem is". However what is the problem? The season hasn't started yet !

Last season IMO, Holloway did all the right things which a manager with nothing to loss or gain should do ! (With a poor squad).

1, He tried out the all the players, (We got Mannings from this).
              2, He made some squad adjustments to make the team more balanced (Smith and Freeman were IMO OK signings).
              3, He has now brought in his own coaching team, this was not is easy.

As a club we are now spending within our means, The interesting piece with this is how many clubs going into this season are not? How many never last year? At the moment FFP is the worse set of rules ever to enter football.

I guess as I said before, the problem can only be our expectation ! We expect as QPR fans to win the league or get top six!! I look at this league which is now basically Premier League 2, and I think top half is a good result.

The next challenge the club faces, is how do we become a bigger club which can be more sustainable at this level. Well this is simple ! bigger ground! or TV money is shared further down the leagues(doubt this will ever happen).
              So people are frustrated with not being able to get a new ground deal quickly... Lets be fair Chelsea spent a good few years looking for a new ground and guess what ! They are now extending that place which should not be mentioned.

Anyone who has been following the Grenfell situation would know, West London is not full of development opportunities as they have a massive lack of affordable housing. So can we really complain that it is taking so long?

In my opinion our only hope as QPR fans is to stay positive and start enjoying the ride, we should expect each players to give 100% and I believe we should expect top half finish! However we need to be positive until we are not getting them two things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fozzieboy View Post
                I see a lot of posts of people saying "the problem is". However what is the problem? The season hasn't started yet !

Last season IMO, Holloway did all the right things which a manager with nothing to loss or gain should do ! (With a poor squad).

1, He tried out the all the players, (We got Mannings from this).
                2, He made some squad adjustments to make the team more balanced (Smith and Freeman were IMO OK signings).
                3, He has now brought in his own coaching team, this was not is easy.

As a club we are now spending within our means, The interesting piece with this is how many clubs going into this season are not? How many never last year? At the moment FFP is the worse set of rules ever to enter football.

I guess as I said before, the problem can only be our expectation ! We expect as QPR fans to win the league or get top six!! I look at this league which is now basically Premier League 2, and I think top half is a good result.

The next challenge the club faces, is how do we become a bigger club which can be more sustainable at this level. Well this is simple ! bigger ground! or TV money is shared further down the leagues(doubt this will ever happen).
                So people are frustrated with not being able to get a new ground deal quickly... Lets be fair Chelsea spent a good few years looking for a new ground and guess what ! They are now extending that place which should not be mentioned.

Anyone who has been following the Grenfell situation would know, West London is not full of development opportunities as they have a massive lack of affordable housing. So can we really complain that it is taking so long?

In my opinion our only hope as QPR fans is to stay positive and start enjoying the ride, we should expect each players to give 100% and I believe we should expect top half finish! However we need to be positive until we are not getting them two things.
                Are you ignoring the last 4 months of last season then?

Comment

Exactly haha

You don't need a new season to start with very little change from the last calamitous one to know we've got big issues!!

Comment

If Penrice is freelance that's awful decision and I would jog him on. Don't like the sound of freelance as he's potentially working for everyone including our rivals strengthening them at our expense. I would assume the best suggestions to those that pay most and thats conflict of interest in my book

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
                      Exactly haha

You don't need a new season to start with very little change from the last calamitous one to know we've got big issues!!
                      But we have got an "Official Hydration Drink Partner" now.

Comment

My grievance is with all the posters on here who have us relegated before a ball is kicked in the new season.
                        At least have the good grace to wait until we get dicked on the opening day!

Comment

Nope, I even mention them in my post. What I am ignoring in the results based on a season which was mixed in with another manager and style of play.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                            But we have got an "Official Hydration Drink Partner" now.
                            cue the media team over drive to promote the great news.

Comment

Unfortunately it seems to be where we are at the moment. No money to spend equals, average manager, average squad, average staff.

I suppose we all just have to accept a dose of reality and understanding in regards to it all and try not to get to farked off.

I'm sure the owners would love to be making bigger signings again but obviously there's a reason why they are not and it's probably got something to do with this bomb going off.

Comment

Only grievance I have is that I'd like a more balanced squad and a team that isn't afraid to attack.

Haven't had that since 2010/11 IMO.
                                Last edited by Shepherds Mush; 20-07-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X