No announcement yet.

Yeni as a striker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem is that Sylla is for sale. Like it or not.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
      Yeni needs to be played more, one of the only players in the squad with abit about him technical wise that could change a game for us.
      If Yeni one of the only playérs in the squad with something about him that can change a game, God ####ing help us.

Comment

Smith is very good at winning headers but is absolutely useless at directing a header. Hence misses some good chances and very rarely finds a colleague.
        Ollie plays him because of his defensive work at corners.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
          Smith off bench for last 20mins is good option but he simply should not be considered as a starter if other players are fit. His presence kills our game as our players can't resist punting it

Sylla is a better player, better striker and better finisher and he has knack of scoring goals after smithies he should be first name on team sheets as strikers win you games.

What someone mentioned above about sylla and attacking three off him is spot on
          I've been saying this for years and it's one of my qualms with the whole argument that Luongo, faurlin, etc didn't score enough goals. If we played a proper attacking quartet ahead of them, we wouldn't be complaining about the defensive midfielders doing their defensive duties.

There's not much that can be done when we have managers think they've found the right solution, only to play Washington and Smith as part of that attacking quartet and then, when they don't score goals, people blame the midfielders for not pitching in. Very simply, you play 4-2-3-1 with the 3-1 having good attacking instincts and chemistry, the 4-2 then don't become a burden to our goalscoring potential.

Have darting full backs who can actually run past the midfield duo to deliver crosses to switch things up, and because you now have two defensive midfielders who are focused on defending, they can drop deeper to cover.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

lynch hitting it up to smith i can't take much more of that if it's what we're going to be served up , most on here would want smith coming on as a late sub if bring him on if we need to nick a goal . but defenders can work him out easily and to watch the ball being punted up to him is torture

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
              lynch hitting it up to smith i can't take much more of that if it's what we're going to be served up , most on here would want smith coming on as a late sub if bring him on if we need to nick a goal . but defenders can work him out easily and to watch the ball being punted up to him is torture
              Better get used to it.

#puntball
              nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                I've been saying this for years and it's one of my qualms with the whole argument that Luongo, faurlin, etc didn't score enough goals. If we played a proper attacking quartet ahead of them, we wouldn't be complaining about the defensive midfielders doing their defensive duties.

There's not much that can be done when we have managers think they've found the right solution, only to play Washington and Smith as part of that attacking quartet and then, when they don't score goals, people blame the midfielders for not pitching in. Very simply, you play 4-2-3-1 with the 3-1 having good attacking instincts and chemistry, the 4-2 then don't become a burden to our goalscoring potential.

Have darting full backs who can actually run past the midfield duo to deliver crosses to switch things up, and because you now have two defensive midfielders who are focused on defending, they can drop deeper to cover.
                Sounds like we need a whole new team then according to you. Wouldn't disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
                  Sounds like we need a whole new team then according to you. Wouldn't disagree.
                  Not really, just need a couple of full backs. Everything else is generally pretty in place, with the exception of depth.

The issue is that managers never used their best combination of players together. If we call Yeni, Sylla, Freeman and Wszolek our ideal front 4, the only times last season where they played together on the same pitch were:

vs Wigan for 14 minutes
                  @ PNE for 10 minutes before Freeman got sent off
                  vs Barnsley for 70 minutes before Wszolek got subbed off for Washington

The other times we generally had someone like Washington or Mackie or Smith in there for at least one of them. We literally managed a full match with added time with our best attacking quartet playing (and most of that time was with Freeman deployed deeper)

If I want to get one thing out of the side this season and us having a mediocre season around it, I'd wanna see more stability in the side. Have a solid team playing regularly together and then we can say that we're looking long term, because then we are building something and seeing the results in the form of an actual team.
                  "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Not really, just need a couple of full backs. Everything else is generally pretty in place, with the exception of depth.

The issue is that managers never used their best combination of players together. If we call Yeni, Sylla, Freeman and Wszolek our ideal front 4, the only times last season where they played together on the same pitch were:

vs Wigan for 14 minutes
                    @ PNE for 10 minutes before Freeman got sent off
                    vs Barnsley for 70 minutes before Wszolek got subbed off for Washington

The other times we generally had someone like Washington or Mackie or Smith in there for at least one of them. We literally managed a full match with added time with our best attacking quartet playing (and most of that time was with Freeman deployed deeper)

If I want to get one thing out of the side this season and us having a mediocre season around it, I'd wanna see more stability in the side. Have a solid team playing regularly together and then we can say that we're looking long term, because then we are building something and seeing the results in the form of an actual team.
                    well as someone who witnessed every minute that Yeni played home and away last season, I have to say that 90% of the time he was absolute dogs poo.

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
                      well as someone who witnessed every minute that Yeni played home and away last season, I have to say that 90% of the time he was absolute dogs poo.
                      And as someone who saw the same thing, I can understand that, but it doesn't help when a player is pigeonholed away from his best abilities. He was not played to his strengths and when he finally is, we'll see the consistency we want from him. He is certainly much better than Washington Mackie or Smith

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
                        i like the sound of that and its the sort of thing that should work but sadly i think tarbs is right and smith will play over sylla. dont get me wrong, smith is a good target man but hes too one dimensional, if anything he should be a sub coming on for the last 30 minutes or so to try nick a goal or preserve a lead
                        You are correct and so is Tarbie, Ollie is not interested in what Yeni & Sylla can do, but more in having Smith in the team as a target man for Lynch and others to hoof the ball towards.

Still, it could be worse, he could have them hoof the ball towards Washington and Mackie, as he did with Gallen and Cureton about 12 years ago.
                        Last edited by stanistheman; 17-07-2017, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
                          Smith is very good at winning headers but is absolutely useless at directing a header. Hence misses some good chances and very rarely finds a colleague.
                          Ollie plays him because of his defensive work at corners.

Here's a novel idea, how about signing a defender who can do that instead.

Comment

And as someone who saw the same thing, I can understand that, but it doesn't help when a player is pigeonholed away from his best abilities. He was not played to his strengths and when he finally is, we'll see the consistency we want from him. He is certainly much better than Washington Mackie or Smith

You are correct .

for example, Lineker and Bergkamp were both played out wide at Barcelona and Inter Milan and flopped, however playing in their correct positions, they were not so bad afterall.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                              You are correct .

for example, Lineker and Bergkamp were both played out wide at Barcelona and Inter Milan and flopped, however playing in their correct positions, they were not so bad afterall.
                              Look even closer to home at one Eduardo Vargas as an example. Played out wide and did alright, plays up front and scores non stop

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                                Still, it could be worse, he could have them hoof the ball towards Washington.
                                The Hasslebaink tactic

Comment

Working...
                                X