Phil parkes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil parkes

John Motson naming his best UK side ever in The Daly Mail names Peter Shilton as his best ever goalkeeper and said there were some excellent rivals challenging for the number one slot including Ray Clemence And PHIL PARKES !!.
    Phil was transfered to West Ham for a record fee at that time and played exactly the same number of games for QPR and West Ham.
    He played one game for England against Portugal and kept a clean sheet but said he did not want to sit on the bench behind Shilton & Clemence. Great keeper and must be one of the best ever to play for the R's.

Parksy was a great keeper, just happened to be about in the era of Clem and Shilts
    I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

England wanted Parksy to play a friendly in the US. Phil had just got married and declined the invitation. That was the end of his England career. Shilts was probably the best in the country at the time, but Parkes was not far behind him. Brilliant keeper, the best I've seen at Rangers by far
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

I'm not saying Shilton was s hite but I don't recall him pulling off many worldys when playing for England and he never filled me with great confidence either.

Having said that I remember him having an absolute stormer for Derby at LR one day, he saved everything thrown at him including a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdave View Post
          i'm not saying shilton was s hite but i don't recall him pulling off many worldys when playing for england and he never filled me with great confidence either.

Having said that i remember him having an absolute stormer for derby at lr one day, he saved everything thrown at him including a penalty.
          p o l a n d !!!
          Last edited by acricketer; 09-06-2017, 12:34 AM. Reason: Wanted to put it in FÚCKing caps

Comment

I was gutted when he left and although the money was great , it meant QPR finished the season with Derek Richardson (who? you may ask) was a terrible keeper and arguably this cost QPR their place in the top flight come the end of the season.

Comment

Working...
            X