Gazza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gazza

Apparently he's fifty today. Only saw him twice in the flesh from memory once when Spurs played at ours and once for England at Wembley

For those with better memories how good was he?

the last true world class player we had in my opinion , my mate was in the priory with him said you couldn't meet a nicer bloke , he said we were sitting in the grounds one day when this motorbike comes roaring out of the woods , bloke dressed all in black leather , he jumps off his bike takes a couple of photos of gazza drinking his coffee then speeds off again . gazza sadly told my mate this is what his life had become a circus . the bloke was trying to get well and they still wouldn't leave him alone

Comment

Great footballer and will never forget the memory's of Italia 90. I can't be as sympathetic too how he's ended up like bus. Nice bloke when sober, but a nutter when off his head which unfortunately is the majority of the time. Too much fame and fortune for a bloke with zero intelligence. Another Alex higgins
      I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Only saw him in the flesh once and that was for spurs at Loftus road

Wasn't his best game

That said he had it all

Real shame how his life has panned out though

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
          the last true world class player we had in my opinion , my mate was in the priory with him said you couldn't meet a nicer bloke , he said we were sitting in the grounds one day when this motorbike comes roaring out of the woods , bloke dressed all in black leather , he jumps off his bike takes a couple of photos of gazza drinking his coffee then speeds off again . gazza sadly told my mate this is what his life had become a circus . the bloke was trying to get well and they still wouldn't leave him alone
          Good mate of mine was in the priory with gazza too loft...RD from Notting hill? Probably the greatest player our country has ever produced. He had it all .
          Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

Was never the same after the Gary Charles tackle (what was he thinking btw).

Hoddle, Rooney (in his prime) and Scholes would all compete with him for that title van, not to mention players from years much earlier as well (that I wouldn't have seen play).

Comment

saw a programme a while back showing how he'll always nick a living doing those open mic Q and A shows at social clubs , i couldn't understand him very well though so perhaps he'll only do them up north ... really fear that he'll come to a premature ending tho he can't keep caning it

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                Apparently he's fifty today. Only saw him twice in the flesh from memory once when Spurs played at ours and once for England at Wembley

For those with better memories how good was he?
                Terrific, but wasn't blessed with the most helpful mates if half the stories were true.

Comment

Not old enough to remember him properly but That goal in euro 96. Wow

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post
                    Was never the same after the Gary Charles tackle
                    Spot on. He had more natural ability than Scholes or Rooney, more power than Hoddle. Upstairs was the problem......

As to why we don't produce players with that kind of touch and confidence on the ball, I'd say the academy system has an awful lot to answer for. And a kick about on the streets with a tennis ball does more for your footballing skills as a kid than competitive games for ten year olds being screamed at by clueless dads. A lad or lass would learn more doing one touch off a wall by themselves.

The FA's failure to get to grips with the way we progress youngsters has been costly. T.Brooking was appointed to sort that out and totally failed.

Comment

Great talent but car crash. Struggled to stay fit much of his career, one scandal after another including attacking his partner.

Too weak mentally and emotionally to cope. Wasted half his career.

For me John Barnes is other one I would mention along with those elsewhere in thread. Come to think of it we had a lot of great players in 80s and 90s across the pitch. Shilton, Pearce, Butcher, Walker, Waddle, Beardsley, Lineker, Anderson, Sansom, Ince, Robson, Wilkins, Shearer. Not all flashy but quality players. Gazza was a cheeky chappy who sometimes did memorable things we all remember. Modern England side a shadow of those previous teams. Still didn't win anything though!

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                        Spot on. He had more natural ability than Scholes or Rooney, more power than Hoddle. Upstairs was the problem......

As to why we don't produce players with that kind of touch and confidence on the ball, I'd say the academy system has an awful lot to answer for. And a kick about on the streets with a tennis ball does more for your footballing skills as a kid than competitive games for ten year olds being screamed at by clueless dads. A lad or lass would learn more doing one touch off a wall by themselves.

The FA's failure to get to grips with the way we progress youngsters has been costly. T.Brooking was appointed to sort that out and totally failed.
                        u only have to watch how some of those pr@ts that run kids teams at the weekends behave , they put their initials on their tracksuit tops and the football is more about them than the kids , one of the best players i ever played with ( skill wise) learnt it in the penny club with a tennis ball u just couldn't get the ball off him as he got older he couldn't put a beer down

Comment

Possibly the best English attacking midfielder I have ever seen.

Comment

Great player, left some great memories as a player too. Shame he got taken over by the beast that is alcoholism, remember him turning up at some hostage situation a few years back, wtf was that all about?
                            I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by Hertford Hoop View Post
                              remember him turning up at some hostage situation a few years back, wtf was that all about?

classic Gazza

Comment

Working...
                              X