No announcement yet.

Last years match stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holloway fans still don't get it, do they? Those of us who, rightly, question his ability will be delighted if he comes good because it will mean all the money and time we spend following our team will not be wasted, and more good days out with your mates won't be ruined by the football. All the 'I told you so' stuff that will come from people who rate him will be based on pure luck on their part because there is NOTHING about the manager nor the club at the moment that inspires any confidence for the future, so there is no basis for the opinion that he is going to be great next season. Just hope. But there is basis for suggesting he isn't the right man given the way the last few weeks of the season went. It is perfectly valid to debate his management rather than just say it will be ok next season. Why will it, exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by rodman View Post
      Fed up of reading on here how Holloway is gonna turn it all around next year.
      How he was making all those team changes as some sort of master plan like he actually knew what he was doing (ha ha).

What amazes me the most is how JFH was coated off by nearly everyone on here for producing boring, unwatchable, drossball yet it produced solid mid table football.
      Whereas under Holloway's entertaining football, with flair and attacking intent we have gone from an average mid table team to relegation fodder within a few months with no sign of any potential improvement.

I'm not a JFH fan, I was as glad to see him go as everyone else. I just don't buy into the ridiculous, unjustified Olly love fest that some on here subscribe to.

Looking back at the actual game stats shows how poor we became under Holloway.

Games

JFH was in charge for 16 games which I believe is a reasonable number of games to judge how a team is doing.
      Olly was in charge for 30 games which again is long enough and incorporates a transfer window.

JFH won 5, drew 5 and lost 6. About as average as you could get.
      Olly won 10, drew 3 and lost 17.

Putting that as percentages

JFH W - 31.25%
      D - 31.25%
      L - 37.5%

Olly W - 33.3%
      D - 9.99%
      L - 56.66%

Goals Scored

Jfh drossball produced 17 goals in 16 games which is a goals per game ratio of 1.06pg

Olly's entertaining football produced 35 goals in 30 games which is 1.16pg

So for all the extra entertainment and attacking intent Olly gets us one extra goal in every ten games played!

Goals Conceded

JFH - 22 conceded in 16 games is 1.37pg

Olly - 44 conceded in 30 games is 1.46pg

Both very much the same which points to a poor defense despite arguably the best keeper in the League.

Clean Sheets

JFH - 4 in 16 which is 25%

Olly - 3 in 30 which is 10%

Although pretty much the same ratio of goals conceded JFH could at least organize the defense enough to keep 1 clean sheet in 4 which is a reasonable return. Holloway managed 1 in 10 which is poor whichever way you look at it.

Points Per Game

JFH - 1.25 points per game

Olly - 1.1 points per game

Just to put that into perspective, under Holloway's entertaining football, 1.1 points pg gives you 50.6 points in a 46 game season.
      Which this year would have got us relegated

JFH with 1.25 ppg would get 57.5 points over 46 games, which would have been 16th place this season.

Probably the most damning stat of the lot is the amount of games lost under Holloway - a whopping 56.6%
      Very difficult to get any consistency going or improve team confidence and morale with such a huge amount of defeats.

Like I said at the beginning, this post isn't to big up JFH but to point out that under Holloway we have gone backwards in my opinion.

Holloway produced poorer results with an arguably better squad after the transfer window with 7 defeats in the last 8 games indefensible.

I just don't get why some on here are so blind and unable to see that the direction we are heading under Olly is not of an upward direction.
      If JFH was considered to be so bad that nearly everyone on here wanted him gone, then the support Olly gets from some just doesn't make sense when we are clearly a poorer side with him in charge.

Talking rubbish in interviews, with ridiculous team changes and tactics shows Olly for the buffoon he is and no amount of chest beating and bigging up the club as a whole will change that.

In fact if he had any respect for us or the club he would walk cos lets face it uncle Tone never pulls the trigger at the right time.
      It's not like we don't see what's going on? We've just seen signs of good football and choose to believe that things can get better and have faith in your team and manager, which most people are acting like it's a heinous crime to do so. Just support your club ffs.

Don't agree that Holloway has a better squad than JFH had either.

Some will use the stats you provided and use it to back their dislike for Holloway as manager but half of them refuse to let stats back up why Luongo is considered on of the best midfielders in the league.

We didn't deserve to lose a lot of the first run of 6 losses, and then were form team in the championship, and then lost a fair few of the next 6 by one goal and if players took their chances it would have been a different story - but not acceptable to lose 6 games in a row twice I'll say that.

Also annoys me is the interviews, you've had a sh*t end to the season, go about your business quietly and come back raring to go for the new season.
      My old man never said be a Chelsea fan...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
        so, it was all about a choice between drossball or puntball.

we are a club that is now at the bottom of a barrel.

hollowhead or drossball for christ sake.
        They were the 2 being compared.

Are we to keep sacking managers in the hope that one day we might find someone who does a good job or perhaps stick with someone? Not saying Holloway is the answer, in fact I wasn't that impressed with the appointment but we have to give someone a chance surely. JFH was doing a job, it didn't please the fans, he went. Ollie was brought in, a polar opposite to Jimmy and we haven't made any progress. Do we again sack the manager or give him time to sort out the mess? My guess is that we will follow the usual course and sack him in October/November, the new guy will have to sort the mess out and we go round and round on this endless journey of groundhog day.

If Ollie gets off to a good start and we can keep some sort of momentum them most will be happy, if he gets off to a poor start then get the tin hats out.

Redknapp, McClaren and Hoddle have all been with us recently, all 3 either national managers. Lets have someone from this site being installed in the top job, we can all put our 10p's worth in each week, we'll be top of the league in no time
        I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by rickyranger View Post
          Excellent post and as they say you can't argue with the facts.

Problem, as you point out, is some of our fans as so deluded they just ignore the obvious. The real problem is not Holloway going, as he will be gone early next season, it's the damage giving him a pre-season and a transfer window does. We may not recover and be back in league one, when no doubt his deluded fan club will come up with ecuses and then bugger off to Support another club.
          It's becoming such a struggle to read some of the posts on here lately.
          So some of us want a bit of stability and want to roll the dice and try something different like sticking with the same manager for a WHOLE season, and that puts us in the Ollie fan club, and if it doesn't work out we will go support another club?
          Pretty hard to make this stuff up, surely if we were glory hunters, we would aim a little higher?
          You do know the history of our club?
          Minds Are Like Parachutes.
          Work Best When Open...
          @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Working...
          X