Mass makes the Championship top 20 despite being a league 1 standard player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
    His defensive works unmatched?! can think of quite a few goals where he never picked up his man or tracked back, so not too sure about that comment! always thought diakite was superb and wasted, had all those attributes apart from rash tackling but brilliant at bringing the ball forward!
    Blimey, found something I agree with you on re. Samba

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
      Blimey, found something I agree with you on re. Samba
      Lol what are you trying to say!; i say it how it is but obviously im bias about ollie as want him to prove himself! But apart from that i say it how it is!
      http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Hes got potential and can have good games but no way is he one of the best midfielders in the championship. That same top 20 list didnt include smithies, bruno, christensen, shelvey, ritchie or even chris woods or tammy abraham and theres loads more i could list whove been better than most on that list

Comment

mass had a good end to the season but went missing in earliar games

Comment

Brentford's Ryan Woods easily cleaned his clock the two times we played them.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
              Mass - he is a decent championship player. At the back end of the season he put in some very good performances and proved me wrong. I'm pleased he signed an extended contract. However, in a midfield 3 with Hall dropping back, I would have Freeman and Manning as the other 2. Football's all about opinions afterall and I don't personally switch off when someone says X made X tackles compared to last week. To me its about influencing games and you judge that on what you see, not what the stats say. He's not league 1. But he certainly isn't in the top 5 championship midfielders either.
              Agree totally for a al lot of the games he was non existent, statistics are Ball, someone can make 100 passes but all be backwards & Negative & 50 Tackles but not get the ball, I like you like to see players influence games his best was probably Leeds away but for most missing,not even the best midfielder at the club let alone best in the league as described by some, I hope he improves into a good player for the sake of the club, but jury's out for me on him, has to do a lot more

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                Oh Nasser.

In contention with Smithies for player of the year?

Seriously?
                Exactly what I thought Smithies could have stopped playing in January and he'd still be player of the year Some people really, rose tinted glasses

Comment

The bloke is a regular in the Australian national team
                  Regular in the QPR team - picked by every manager he's played for
                  Fairly regularly in the EFL team of the week
                  Runs his ar*e off every single game
                  Shows lovely bits of skill
                  Tackles and intercepts for fun, despite being half the size of most of the CMs in the Championship
                  1 goal and 3 assists needs to be improved upon, but that's already an improvement from the season before

Surely you can see there's a bit more too him than most of you are giving credit for??
                  My old man never said be a Chelsea fan...

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                    http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...edium=referral

Congrats to Mass who, despite having a stumble for a big part of the mid-season, should easily have been considered in contention with Smithies for player of the year.
                    So much for stats not giving the full picture if 'Who Scored' have placed Smithies BELOW Ali Al-Habsi, Daniel Bentley, Karl Darlow, Chris Maxwell and Rob Green....whilst Mass does make it into their top 20.

Saying that IMO Mass and Ned are probably are two most improved players since Ollie came in so credit must go to the manager for that. At least these are some positives for the manager in otherwise unacceptably poor performances by him since his return to the club.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiswickHoop View Post
                      How hes in that list and smithies isnt is beyond me.
                      Have you actually read the article? It doesn't go into too much depth but does explain for example how Al-Habsi is the top Championship keeper based on saves, clean sheets, etc. Smithies must have got bonus marks for penalty saves and saves in general but he's not made as many as the 5 keepers on this list apparently.

Luongo is on there for tackles and dribbles which Smithies doesn't have to do...

These things are all subjective anyway. Its based on stats which can be interpreted however you want to, often based on the question being asked....

Comment

I think the stats with keepers are a lot more transparent.
                        Smithies lets a couple of goals in near on every single game cos we are so poor (hence being down the bottom of the table), the other keepers dont.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                          I think the stats with keepers are a lot more transparent.
                          Smithies lets a couple of goals in near on every single game cos we are so poor (hence being down the bottom of the table), the other keepers dont.
                          This is exactly it. You can make plenty of saves, but if you keep letting in goals, your rating will go down, that's the nature of it. It's how we end up being where we are in the table, because no matter how many amazing saves smithies pulls off, we still let too many in for his score to be anything higher than a 6.6ish most games (hence his average being 6.61). He managed an 8.25 against Forest but the last game where he got anything above 6.6 was against Barnsley on the 7th of march. He's got above 7/10 in 13 matches this season out of the 45 he's played which isn't bad at all, but obviously not keeping clean sheets really does dampen your potential score as a keeper.
                          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

I reckon this list has been compiled on Opta Stats and little else. Anyone who has seen us play would very correctly point out, he hasn't even been the best in our (very mediocre) team most weeks, let alone one of the best in the division.
                            Last edited by Tarbie; 04-05-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                              I reckon this list has been compiled on Opta Stats and little else. Anyone who has seen us play would very correctly point out, he hasn't even been the best in our (very mediocre) team most weeks, let alone one of the best in the division.
                              You reckon? They explicitly state that the list is based on whoscored who use weighted statistics for each position to value different actions with different scores which they average out over the season. Over this season, Massimo Luongo playing as a defensive midfielder has made more relevant actions for his position than all but 4 players in this league, therefore he is ranked 5th. The list is compiled based on who makes the most actions and who is - as a result - the most influential in their role and Mass is the 5th most influential on average in this league.
                              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                                You reckon? They explicitly state that the list is based on whoscored who use weighted statistics for each position to value different actions with different scores which they average out over the season. Over this season, Massimo Luongo playing as a defensive midfielder has made more relevant actions for his position than all but 4 players in this league, therefore he is ranked 5th. The list is compiled based on who makes the most actions and who is - as a result - the most influential in their role and Mass is the 5th most influential on average in this league.
                                WhoScored.com........Opta.....makes no odds to me mate. I trust what I see, not what a stats man tells me.

Who decides what a "relevant action" is anyway?

Comment

Working...
                                X