No announcement yet.

What Needs Doing This Summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main concern would be to try to strengthen the back four and get rid of the peripheral players:- El Kayate, Mackie, Gladwyn, Henry, Boryshuik and JET. Caulker is on contract until summer 2018 and seems to have taken the SWP role in the squad...paid millions to do nothing - can't believe anyone will take him.

Comment

One thing which needs doing is to find out why the defence is so poor. It clearly lacks stability.
      QPR
      Best team in the world
      Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post
        Agree with Hitman on Sylla, but not on Mackie.

Wonder how much we could bring in from selling the deadwood?

Likes of Glawin/elk/jet we'd probably be looking at a mil for all three at best
        I would say around 400k for gladwin, a packet of Bonio for el krap and, isnt Jet out of contract next month?

i'd bin doherty too, would like to see the pole given a chance when he is back from his loan.
        nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Can't believe people want to keep Mackie. Do we want to move forward or? Geeza just runs around a lot normally into players. Dog turd. Get rid

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
            I would say around 400k for gladwin, a packet of Bonio for el krap and, isnt Jet out of contract next month?

i'd bin doherty too, would like to see the pole given a chance when he is back from his loan.
            Jet signed a 3 year deal in 2015

Comment

I'd like us to adopt a more attacking style. Two up front supported by a winger. Think a decent striker to what we already have is needed, the wingers are here already. A robust midfield player and strengthen the defence. One more abysmal run that we've had to endure twice this season and then I think Ollie should get the bullet as well
              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
              This morning's tempest I have to cross
              I must be guided without a stumble
              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                He said yesterday hes going to be absolutely ruthless in the summer.
                Does that include himself?

Comment

I would wave goodbye to Mackie, Henry, Grego-Cox & Comley as their contracts expire this Summer.
                  I would also try to offload Doughty, Petrasso, El Khayati, Caulker, Gladwin, JET & Borysuik.

I would try to sign LuaLua on a perm.
                  It seems we want a LW with the lad from Millwall being favoured.
                  Beyond that, I would buy a CB if Caulker goes, a versatile defender and spend as much as possible on a Striker.

Obviously if Smithies or Manning were sold, we'd need to replace them.

That would give us a squad of 26 + any youngsters (Kakay, Harmalainen, etc.)

Comment

Trouble is the players people want we will not pay the price for .So anyone wwe sign will be someone we haven't thought of or someone we haven't heard of.
                    We have to gamble on a Freeman or an Elk.

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post
                      Who would you like to see leave the club, and where do we need to strengthen?

Squad as it'll stand once season is over:

Smithies / Ingram / Lumley

Perch / Furlong
                      Onuoha / Hall / Lynch / Caulker
                      Bidwell / Robinson

Luongo / Goss / Freeman / Cousins / Manning / Henry / Gladwin / Boryshuik / Doughty
                      Pawel / Mackie / Yeni / El Khayati / Petrasso / Shodipo

Smith / Washington / Sylla / JET
                      Pretty clear from that lot who needs to go (if we can get rid of them?)

Perch, Caulker, Henry, Gladwin, Doughty, El Khayati and JET for starters.

Then you got to think about the limitations of the squad, we have 3 decent GK, do we need that many? To gain some income, Smithies will probably be sold as I can't see Ingram wanting to play second fiddle to him agn next season.

We also have 3 left backs with Haameleinen (excuse spelling) pushing the other 2 mentioned. One will have to go, but who? Bidwell who although is solid defensively, offers us nothing in attack, can't cross and when he does try to get forward has no pace to get back behind the ball. Or Robinson, who is probably completely the opposite to Bidwell and ofcourse his fitness and injury worries are a major concern.

In all honesty, if we could get 2 good, hard, tall, tough tackling, good in the air, comfortable on thee ball centre backs - the likes of Flint at Bristol City and Burn at Wigan (formerly with the Ruperts) we could also probably lose Lynch aswell.

A decent ball winning central mid fielder who knows this division (in the mould of a Derry type) who can score goals aswell...Leadbitter at Middlesboro anyone? Could mean we lose one of Luonga, Cousins or Borysiuk too?

Finally, this club has been crying out for a 20 goal a season striker for how many years? Potentially paired with Sylla and Washington on rotation with Smith coming off the bench if and when we are desperate in the last 10-15 mins to get a goal by having to launch it forward and go long, could see us challenging for next seasons play off places.

All of the above is just MY OPINION though ofcourse, as I'm sure we all have our own thoughts on ways to improve the squad and the team.

Olly needs to be given time though to get his own squad and players in place, I just hope he gets it right for next season.

You Rr's!!!

Comment

Firstly Holloway needs to settle on a formation and 8-9 players who if stay fit will play week in Week out.

We then need to hold on to the likes of smithies, Hall and Wsolev. We actually have a fairly decent squad and some of the first team players like bidwell imo should be retained as part of the squad but maybe not as a mainstay in the first 11 if we have aspirations to get into the play offs.

I personally think key areas we need to improve on are both the full back positions, 1 Nasty old school cb, 1 x experienced championship cdm, 1 x pacey lw (Lua Lua) and 1 x striker. 6 players of which 3 of them need to be of decent quality if we are to compete for the playoffs.

If we move on the following I think the above is fairly realistic -

Perch, Robinson, caulker, Henry, gladwin, JET, Doughty, El kayati and Sylla( slightly harsh but I don't think Ollie fancies him and if he generates a bit of cash it might make sense).

My first 11 would resemble something along this -

Smithies

New rb hall new cb new lb

Wsolev Freeman manning/Luongo new lw - potentially Lua Lua

Smith New Striker/Washington

I do think there is arguement thar Ned could start and also Washington up top could deserve another chance to partner smith in a settled team. I certainly think we actually have a decent core in smithies, hall, Freeman, manning/Luongo, Wsolev and smith.

Ned, Luongo, lynch, furlong, Washington and bidwell are all fringe first team players who are worth keeping and having a decent squad is our benefit. We also have Shopodo and Eze who could both push on next season to become decent fringe players.

I just think defensively we have been found wanting far to often and this area needs the investment. Also a top striker playing of smith in a settled formation has the power to transform us over night if we sort our defence out. Sign Lua Lua, sort out the defence and id be fairly happy of Holloway settles on a formation and a regular starting 11.
                        Last edited by maidstone_hoop; 01-05-2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post

He won't be coming back, he went back to Poland because he was homesick, same reason Polter went back to Germany. I'd keep Doughty.
                          Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                          Pawel Wszolek - 6
                          Luke Freeman - 6
                          Matt Smith - 6
                          Ebere Eze - 4
                          Joel Lynch - 3
                          Tomer Hemed - 3
                          Toni Leistner - 2
                          Massimo Luongo- 2
                          Angel Rangel - 2
                          Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                          Geoff Cameron - 1
                          Aramide Oteh - 1
                          Jake Bidwell - 1
                          Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

We need to add some serious pace all over the park as the squad is bleeding slow when you compare us to the successful sides. Look how quick Fulham, Brighton, Huddersfield etc break and get forward

Pace adds another dimension to a side and can turn what looks an average side into a very decent one. Currently we crawl up the pitch therefore making us so easy to play against.

Comment

Will be interesting to see if Eze and oteh get some game time pre season,both done very well for u23. Definitely need 2 new full backs,defensive midfielder and a goal scorer,going to be hard to improve the squad tho as transfer budget is going to be minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by norfolk ranger View Post
                                Will be interesting to see if Eze and oteh get some game time pre season,both done very well for u23. Definitely need 2 new full backs,defensive midfielder and a goal scorer,going to be hard to improve the squad tho as transfer budget is going to be minimal.
                                In can see Eze being called up, he featured (briefly, before getting injured) in the FA Cup so Ollie does know what the boy can do. He's torn it up for the U23s. I really hope he at least gets a chance in pre season.
                                As for the budget, Ollie confirmed that there won't be a lot of money to spend, read that in an interview today.
                                Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                                Pawel Wszolek - 6
                                Luke Freeman - 6
                                Matt Smith - 6
                                Ebere Eze - 4
                                Joel Lynch - 3
                                Tomer Hemed - 3
                                Toni Leistner - 2
                                Massimo Luongo- 2
                                Angel Rangel - 2
                                Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2