Holloway getting ruined on twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
    I get this point, I really do but I do think there's two sides to the coin.

Yes the constant changing of the side is annoying, doesn't promote stability and can frustrate fans who've paid their hard earned to watch but I think it has to be remembered that the manager has to see all players available to him playing in match day scenarios which have absolutely no resemblance to training matches, in different formations, different positions and playing alongside different players so they can be judged come the end of the season.

A lot of these players will be released or sold and it's imperative that we (the club / manager) do that with a clear head and unfortunately this is the only way it can be done. As mentioned in my first post, this season will flitter out in a damp squib. No better time to try players out imo. Yes we are not mathematically safe, but we will not go down.
    Jimmy - couple of points.

1 - how do you expect to judge a player when you only give him 1 or 2 games? Surely they need 4 to 5? Petrasso was taken off at half time. Now I don't rate him but what did ollie expect to learn from that? Goss has started once in last 5 I think. No one can expect to learn anything about a player in the odd game.

2 - all for experimenting but surely you do that making 1 or 2 changes each game. We have made 22 changes in the last 5 games. 4 against derby, 4 against villa, 6 for brighton, 4 for city and 4 for wednesday. That's not experimenting, that's either a) manager trying to be too clever with weired and wonderful formations or b) just ramblings of a lunatic boss.

Comment

Holloway must take the ultimate responsibility because it's his hat the team is picked from.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post

1 - how do you expect to judge a player when you only give him 1 or 2 games? Surely they need 4 to 5? Petrasso was taken off at half time. Now I don't rate him but what did ollie expect to learn from that? Goss has started once in last 5 I think. No one can expect to learn anything about a player in the odd game.

2 - all for experimenting but surely you do that making 1 or 2 changes each game. We have made 22 changes in the last 5 games. 4 against derby, 4 against villa, 6 for brighton, 4 for city and 4 for wednesday. That's not experimenting, that's either a) manager trying to be too clever with weired and wonderful formations or b) just ramblings of a lunatic boss.
        Yep.

Yep.

Yep.

Don't like calling Ollie a lunatic but that right there is the root of the problem and frustrations. Can't see whats being learnt.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post

Personally I think you can see enough in a couple of games at professional level to see if someone can cut it or not.

Agree you're not going to see a players best football as they'll need a run of games as you rightly point out, but what you will see is their fitness, their desire, their ability to take on instructions very quickly, their attitude and so on. There is so much to take from short cameos.

I don't think Holloway is the best tactician no, but I also don't think he's stupid or mad enough to make 22 changes in the last few games because he wants to be clever or whacky. I think he's playing every player available to him in a match day squad to then have a clear mind of whether he can work with them or not next season. Your second point I agreed with in that it's to many changes in a short time, but I think when our mini revival ended and a good strong run wasn't going to happen Olly and his background staff started looking towards next season.

Only my opinion of course but I'm not overly concerned. I want us to be in tip top shape come July.

Comment

One thing when you look at the actual line ups over the last 6 games, is that despite all the changes, the fringe-ish players don't seem to be the ones who've benefited by being in the team. Chopping and changing Perch, Furlong, Hall, Lynch, Onouha, Bidwell etc now can't be telling him any more than he already knew, but changes like that amongst players who have been in and around the starting line up all season make up most of his changes.

Of the others we don't know much about, in the last 6 games Goss has had 15 minutes v Rotherham, 30 v Derby, and 72 v Villa. Morrison had 25 v Rotherham and 66 v Brighton. Robinson had 66 v Brighton and 60 v SW. Petrasso's had 15 v Villa and 45 v SW.

On the other hand, Mackie had 20 v Bristol City, and 90 v SW - what the f*&k does he not know about him as a player?

Does this count as experimenting? If it does, I'm not sure it's an experiment that will come up with any valuable answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
              Personally I think you can see enough in a couple of games at professional level to see if someone can cut it or not.

Agree you're not going to see a players best football as they'll need a run of games as you rightly point out, but what you will see is their fitness, their desire, their ability to take on instructions very quickly, their attitude and so on. There is so much to take from short cameos.

I don't think Holloway is the best tactician no, but I also don't think he's stupid or mad enough to make 22 changes in the last few games because he wants to be clever or whacky. I think he's playing every player available to him in a match day squad to then have a clear mind of whether he can work with them or not next season. Your second point I agreed with in that it's to many changes in a short time, but I think when our mini revival ended and a good strong run wasn't going to happen Olly and his background staff started looking towards next season.

Only my opinion of course but I'm not overly concerned. I want us to be in tip top shape come July.
              Top post
              Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
              Pawel Wszolek - 6
              Luke Freeman - 6
              Matt Smith - 6
              Ebere Eze - 4
              Joel Lynch - 3
              Tomer Hemed - 3
              Toni Leistner - 2
              Massimo Luongo- 2
              Angel Rangel - 2
              Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
              Geoff Cameron - 1
              Aramide Oteh - 1
              Jake Bidwell - 1
              Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried about Ollie and our results if it was only these last 5 games. People praise our performances, but I think also they have dropped dramatically this spring. Even when we were winning we played poor football for example vs Cardiff and Barnsley.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                  I wouldn't be too worried about Ollie and our results if it was only these last 5 games. People praise our performances, but I think also they have dropped dramatically this spring. Even when we were winning we played poor football for example vs Cardiff and Barnsley.
                  Agreed.

I think some on here are conning themselves into thinking this is some grand plan of experimentation and that we will be raring to go and finish top 10 or top 6 next season.

Personally think the tv pundit is out of his debt and that come winter, when he gets the push, it will be another wasted season.
                  nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
                    Agreed.

I think some on here are conning themselves into thinking this is some grand plan of experimentation and that we will be raring to go and finish top 10 or top 6 next season.

Personally think the tv pundit is out of his debt and that come winter, when he gets the push, it will be another wasted season.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
                      Agreed.

I think you imagine what people on here think and exaggerate it to make a point. I can't recall seeing one post by anyone saying that.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
                        I think you imagine what people on here think and exaggerate it to make a point. I can't recall seeing one post by anyone saying that.
                        Yep.

Comment

Surely the truth lies somewhere between the opinions here - clearly Olly has been experimenting and feels it's safe to do that (rather unfair on all the people who have paid to watch though), and of course there are merits in that: you can only truly judge a player in the heat of the battle as opposed to a friendly or a practice game. And also, clearly, before the international break we were playing some great football and on a great run of form. So from that we can conclude that Olly is capable of putting out a match-winning side and of tactical nous.

However, IMO he's made a big error in experimenting so freely and with so many competitive games left to play. Not only is it an insult to the fans (and therefore it has alienated many who were on his side), but also he's overdone it. Too many changes, too many formations - it's over the top and counterproductive. I think it's a clear sign of the maverick nature of the man. For all his chest-thumping fervour, his wit and footballing insight, he's also a bit of a twit who seems to have a far higher opinion of his managerial abilities than his record merits. And indeed, his record kind of says it all - promotions and relegations - a rollercoaster ride. As I've said before, this should be no surprise to any of us, since we've seen it all before, and clearly nothing's changed on that score. I suppose there is a subtle difference between now and his last tenure though, which is that he has learnt from all this experience - and when he's in Jekyll mode - that pays off on the pitch. Unfortunately we're seeing a bit too much of Mr Hyde at the moment. For me that sums him up: a Jekyll and Hyde character, who will delight you one day and drive you nuts on another.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                            Surely the truth lies somewhere between the opinions here - clearly Olly has been experimenting and feels it's safe to do that (rather unfair on all the people who have paid to watch though), and of course there are merits in that: you can only truly judge a player in the heat of the battle as opposed to a friendly or a practice game. And also, clearly, before the international break we were playing some great football and on a great run of form. So from that we can conclude that Olly is capable of putting out a match-winning side and of tactical nous.

However, IMO he's made a big error in experimenting so freely and with so many competitive games left to play. Not only is it an insult to the fans (and therefore it has alienated many who were on his side), but also he's overdone it. Too many changes, too many formations - it's over the top and counterproductive. I think it's a clear sign of the maverick nature of the man. For all his chest-thumping fervour, his wit and footballing insight, he's also a bit of a twit who seems to have a far higher opinion of his managerial abilities than his record merits. And indeed, his record kind of says it all - promotions and relegations - a rollercoaster ride. As I've said before, this should be no surprise to any of us, since we've seen it all before, and clearly nothing's changed on that score. I suppose there is a subtle difference between now and his last tenure though, which is that he has learnt from all this experience - and when he's in Jekyll mode - that pays off on the pitch. Unfortunately we're seeing a bit too much of Mr Hyde at the moment. For me that sums him up: a Jekyll and Hyde character, who will delight you one day and drive you nuts on another.
                            For me this is the main issue.

Haven't a problem in his methods and I can see why it's being done, but he has gone OTT with it.

Comment

I actually think he is trying to put out his strongest available 11 for the opposition every week. Unfortunately it hasnīt worked out. Many of the lineup changes have been down to injuries and niggles. We missed important players from our good run of form in the last 5, Luongo in the Derby game, and Hall for the last two. #### happens.
                              https://twitter.com/1qprdk

Comment

And the person who is most in need of a rest is Smithies who has played every game recentley. If IH was giving everyone a chance why has he ignored Ingram?
                                Also trying to put out his strongest side but niggles and injuries. What 79 niggles and injuries since he's been here. Someone should look at the training then.

Comment

Working...
                                X