Is the squad really that poor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the squad really that poor?

Five defeats on the bounce, six earlier in the season. Kind of suggests the team is rank. However I don't buy it. I'm under no illusions we are the best in this league, or even anywhere close to it, but I don't think we are that bad.

Good goalie and back up keeper.

Defence could be improved but I think is reasonable for this division.

Lots of options in midfield and on wings.

Three decent strikers.

In an ideal world we should be looking at say three key signings on top of the core squad we have and then no reason we shouldn't be challenging around play offs next season.

So if the players are good enough then you have to look to the manager and his coaching staff. Ollie has had more than enough time to get to know his best team. Give one or two players a chance I get that at this time of the season but the overriding job of any manager is to win games. Sorry but his record is very poor since his return. A new manager often gives teams a lift. To be fair it did for the first 45 mins against Norwich!

Another poor appointment and I can honestly say first one I haven't supported and understood. It's like getting hammered and saying to your mate 'wouldn't it be nice if Ollie came back and we won the Champions League, hic.' You have sobered up by the next morning. Only this time no alcohol was involved so no real excuse.

He will stay. I have no doubt about that. However my expectation levels are rock bottom.

good post and agree with every word.
    nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
      good post and agree with every word.
      Me too.
      An experienced CM, new RB and perhaps new striker and we should easily be top 10.

Comment

Top 10 I want promotion

Aim higher chaps

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
          Top 10 I want promotion

Aim higher chaps
          We would need a whole new defence if we want to finish top 10. Being very serious aswell.

Comment

Everything is going to plan. Next season is going to be another 2010/11.
            Strap yourselves in lads!

Comment

No it's not a poor squad at this level. It's actually a very decent championship squad which with a couple of additions in the right areas could and should be up there next year. They are however being managed horribly(I'm a Holloway fan for what it's worth). He needs to pick his strongest side consistently week after week to get us in the grove. Washington and smith play we score goals. Give a back 3/4 half a chance to get to learn each other's games. This constant tinkering is unnecessary and a bit of an insult though the poor sods paying out 30 quid to watch what is effectively a training session. It's not good enough and his incoherent pre match ramblings are getting a bit tired and embarrassing

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                Five defeats on the bounce, six earlier in the season. Kind of suggests the team is rank. However I don't buy it. I'm under no illusions we are the best in this league, or even anywhere close to it, but I don't think we are that bad.

Good goalie and back up keeper.

Defence could be improved but I think is reasonable for this division.

Lots of options in midfield and on wings.

Three decent strikers.

In an ideal world we should be looking at say three key signings on top of the core squad we have and then no reason we shouldn't be challenging around play offs next season.

So if the players are good enough then you have to look to the manager and his coaching staff. Ollie has had more than enough time to get to know his best team. Give one or two players a chance I get that at this time of the season but the overriding job of any manager is to win games. Sorry but his record is very poor since his return. A new manager often gives teams a lift. To be fair it did for the first 45 mins against Norwich!

Another poor appointment and I can honestly say first one I haven't supported and understood. It's like getting hammered and saying to your mate 'wouldn't it be nice if Ollie came back and we won the Champions League, hic.' You have sobered up by the next morning. Only this time no alcohol was involved so no real excuse.

He will stay. I have no doubt about that. However my expectation levels are rock bottom.
                Spot on.
                The squad is decent but Holloway isn't. Its as simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg1882 View Post
                  No it's not a poor squad at this level. It's actually a very decent championship squad which with a couple of additions in the right areas could and should be up there next year. They are however being managed horribly(I'm a Holloway fan for what it's worth). He needs to pick his strongest side consistently week after week to get us in the grove. Washington and smith play we score goals. Give a back 3/4 half a chance to get to learn each other's games. This constant tinkering is unnecessary and a bit of an insult though the poor sods paying out 30 quid to watch what is effectively a training session. It's not good enough and his incoherent pre match ramblings are getting a bit tired and embarrassing
                  Agreed but Sylla instead of Smith to start.

Comment

It's a ok squad for the championship. Right now it's a mid-table squad which is slightly under performing and getting dragged into an unnecessary position due to Ollies constant meddling with the first 11.

However, I think this squad will struggle even more next year as this league just continues to get stronger and stronger each year, let alone all the teams coming down from the prem will have a 100 mill war chest plus teams like Norwich, Derby, Wolves and the 3 that miss out on the play offs all going for promotion.
                    The board need to give Ollie a fair transfer kitty in The summer to go and buy at least 4 more championship quality players.

I would also argue now that our defence is no where near as good as some want to believe on here. We need a new cb to partner Hall if we have ambitions to compete at the top end of this league. We wil also need a defent rb/wb, quality cm and another striker if we are to compete for top 10 above.

Stick with this squad and buy players on the cheap next year then I personally think this team
                    Will finish somewhere from 12th - 18th. Small margins in this league and 4 decent acquisitions could turn us in to a tidy outfit.

Just wish Ollie would now play the 7 or 8 players we have at the club who he plans to start most games next season.
                    Last edited by maidstone_hoop; 17-04-2017, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X