Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith

I like the lad. Strong and can head the ball. However, I think his presence conditioned the way we play. Its all long ball to Smith head now and we are so much predictable. Mind you, I am not a big fan of Sylla either as I see him too slow and rarely chase back. Of the lot, CW is the best we have. Granted he is not scoring goals, which is his job to do, however he runs all over the place, can go past players and create goal scoring chances for others. I think Smith should play as an impact sub when we are down with little time to go. That's the time when we should be playing direct. In other circumstances, as all modern teams do, we should be defending from the front.....but cannot imagine Smith chasing defenders!

I think to play that lone striker role, you've got to be a heck of a good player. Strong, work hard, mobile and good in the air.......unless you have a quality player just behind. So for me in championship, I always think 2 up top is best given players around. Smith and Washington works well or smith and Sylla.

Comment

Martin you have started thread I was going too. I watched Smith yesterday and thought to myself he's honest and gives 100% but we will do nothing next season in my view if he's the main striker. His presence makes us lazy we just hoof it up there and hope we can play off him. Coming off bench I can see his worth but a starter for a season and we will be f ucked as he's to limited

Comment

Agree with all the above points, I will add that yesterday he was playing against a CB who matched him for size and just did enough to prevent Smith from getting any real good attempts on goal, we are a little too one dimensional at times with him alone up front!
        @gatorTFC

Comment

I suppose the alternative to hoofing it upfield all the time would be to play a little football occasionally, on the ground, until such time as our wide players are in a position to cross the ball somewhere close to his head in the area. Got to be worth a try at least. You never know, he might do well with that approach.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
            I suppose the alternative to hoofing it upfield all the time would be to play a little football occasionally, on the ground, until such time as our wide players are in a position to cross the ball somewhere close to his head in the area. Got to be worth a try at least. You never know, he might do well with that approach.
            They should play to his strengths which is putting balls in the box he can attack not simply putting foot through ball in his direction. Play football get it wide then put it in box and he's different player but this current hit and hope don't suit him or team. Lynch worst for doing it

Comment

I think when smith plays with a striker next to him he's perfect for us. Would of loved Ollie to have played the last 10 games of the season with Smith and Washington as the main two strikers and not pushing Connor out wide.

Smiths an asset imo and would love to see someone like Wells play of him next season and us playing 4 4 2 or 3 5 2.

At times it isn't the most prettiest football but the championship is a tough league and he absolutely batters defenders and can bring other people into play, not to mention when defending corners he's a real asset.

I like smith and I hope he's a regular next year as part of a forward two. We've missed Lua Lua a bit as that boy is able to beat a man and has a decent delivery.

Comment

Listen, if you play Smith and he gets the ball back to goal with no other R closer than 30m, that's a reflection on poor tactics.

Simple as that.

Comment

Lynch hoof to Smith seems like the favoured tactic of late. I don't mind Smith, he's very good at certain things but also quite limited in other parts of his game. Good option to have in the squad but I wouldn't base our whole game around a long ball to Smith. So easy to defend against if you have big lumps as CBs (as Bristol did in Flint). I'd be looking to bring in someone like Bogle who can play the lone role big, strong and pacey. Not exactly set the world alight at Wigan but I was impressed with him when they played us. He's a tank.

Comment

Gregg and Bogle!!
                    QPR
                    Best team in the world
                    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                      Gregg and Bogle!!
                      What the front two that have not scored enough to keep Wigan up

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                        Listen, if you play Smith and he gets the ball back to goal with no other R closer than 30m, that's a reflection on poor tactics.

Simple as that.
                        this, i think a consistent 433 with ngbakoto/wszolek, smith and washington up front would be our best bet

Comment

The worst bit is kick off. The ball goes back to Lynch who either hoofs it out of touch or hoofs it to Smith who then heads it to one of the opposition.
                          We always seem to lose possession within 10 secs.

Comment

Just don't like Smith up front. We automatically hit it long as he has very little else in his game. It is predictable and boring to watch.
                            We played two up front against Brighton but Smith and Washington played so far apart that even when Smith did win a header Washington was 20 yards away on his heels.

If these two are our main strikers next neason then we will finish mid table at best.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post

Simple as that.
                              This x 100.

Because he isn't good enough to play lone striker and very few in the country are. Hope Ollie doesn't try that again.

Smith should be a hold up guy from the start if we need, or off the bench, that rotates from another striker, alongside a poacher.

Comment

Working...
                              X