No announcement yet.

Derby Match Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it's safe to say Rowett hands down won the tactical battle here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanley View Post
      I think it's safe to say Rowett hands down won the tactical battle here.
      He sure did but IH will learn from this.

Comment

I think it's safe to say Rowett hands down won the tactical battle here.
        Said the same earlier in the thread. It's what he does though, isn't it? Boring football at times but tactically very clever and wins more than he loses.

We've gone the other way in my opinion. Pride, passion and heart over tactical nouse. On the whole it's working for us though, isn't it? Most of the fans seem happy with Ollie in charge!
        Last edited by Tarbie; 03-04-2017, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
          Said the same earlier in the thread. It's what he does though, isn't it? Boring football at times but tactically very clever and wins more than he loses.

We've gone the other way in my opinion. Pride, passion and heart over tactical nouse. On the whole it's working for us though, isn't it? Most of the fans seem happy with Ollie in charge!
          I would say Ollie has demonstrated v good tactical nous too. He's improved that side of his management since he was last here. That's been clear to see, especially over the 7 preceding games. Just that Friday night was a blip and Rowett out-maneuvered him. But I'm confident he will learn from this.

Comment

I would say Ollie has demonstrated v good tactical nous too. He's improved that side of his management since he was last here. That's been clear to see, especially over the 7 preceding games. Just that Friday night was a blip and Rowett out-maneuvered him. But I'm confident he will learn from this.
            Personally, I don't see tactics as Ollie's strong point. I think he has done an immense job in the transfer market, as well as weeding out the bad eggs and installing some much needed pride and team spirit.

For me, where he struggles is a.) in selecting the right tactics for certain games and b.) altering his tactics during a game when things aren't working out. Friday night is a classic example of a game where things weren't right from the off. I would have like to see us switch things around early on.

Not gonna start moaning though. At this point, I'm actually happy to take Ollie's good points as well as what I perceive as his weaknesses. We've had much worse times in recent years than what we have right now. At least the team appear to care and want to work hard. Step up from the majority of the last 5 years!

Comment

Personally, I don't see tactics as Ollie's strong point. I think he has done an immense job in the transfer market, as well as weeding out the bad eggs and installing some much needed pride and team spirit.

For me, where he struggles is a.) in selecting the right tactics for certain games and b.) altering his tactics during a game when things aren't working out. Friday night is a classic example of a game where things weren't right from the off. I would have like to see us switch things around early on.

Not gonna start moaning though. At this point, I'm actually happy to take Ollie's good points as well as what I perceive as his weaknesses. We've had much worse times in recent years than what we have right now. At least the team appear to care and want to work hard. Step up from the majority of the last 5 years!
              Exactly how I see it n all Tarbs.
              You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

For me, where he struggles is a.) in selecting the right tactics for certain games and b.) altering his tactics during a game when things aren't working out.
                I disagree there Tarbie, sorry.

In the 7 games prior to Derby there are numerous examples of where he got his tactics spot on in all areas, and was borne out by the results.

Comment

I disagree there Tarbie, sorry.

In the 7 games prior to Derby there are numerous examples of where he got his tactics spot on in all areas, and was borne out by the results.
                  I said "certain games" not every game Stanley!

Comment

• Whilst yes Derby deserved to win on Friday night, it was Rowetts first game at Pride Park and teams always find that extra 25% when a new manager is installed, so i think it is difficult to call whether Rowett tactically did Olly. They have a very good squad on paper (but there was a time we were saying that too) that for whatever reasons just hasn't performed and had that header fallen to Smith, we may well have snatched a point out of a very poor display from us. Think we will struggle tomorrow night too, although Villa Park is one of those grounds where we do seem to get results, so fingers crossed.

Comment

I said "certain games" not every game Stanley!
                      Fair enough mate

Comment

• We only lost due to keeper error. We would of got a point if smithies was his normal self, so rowett didnt outdo olly to much on tactics imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                          We only lost due to keeper error. We would of got a point if smithies was his normal self, so rowett didnt outdo olly to much on tactics imo.
                          Comms said Smithies may have been unsighted on the initial shot. Replay possibly bears that out, so I'm not convinced he was entirely to blame. He made a couple of errors earlier in the game though. Just seems like the entire team had an off night. When you're on a good run (as we were) international breaks do you no favours by arresting that momentum.

Comment

• the space the derby FB's had was madness , olly should have been able to counter this as the game went on , defenders struggling to play to his system. it was lucky we were not beaten by a bigger margin

Comment

Comms said Smithies may have been unsighted on the initial shot. Replay possibly bears that out, so I'm not convinced he was entirely to blame. He made a couple of errors earlier in the game though. Just seems like the entire team had an off night. When you're on a good run (as we were) international breaks do you no favours by arresting that momentum.
                              Agree with all of that Stanley. In terms of tactical comparison, we also have to account for the fact there was no evidence of how Rowett would set up this Derby side (ok you can second guess similarities with his Brum days but different players makes it tough to guess) and the only game to base it on was a Derby match where tactics are no real barometer. Rowett did win the battle but he did have a few slight advantages so I'm giving Ollie and his players a free pass on this one
                              #standuptocancer
                              #inyourfacecancer

Comment

• Yup, the voice of reason as usual Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X