If

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If

Football is a funny game and a bit of luck or a controversial bad decision from the referee may define a season. Sometimes I do wonder and make a lot of questions to myself. I remember well the season before we got relegated from the 1st Division in the seventies and in our last game (or near the end I'm sure) we earned a point against Leeds. That point saved us for that season, however, Tony Currie hit the crossbar in the dying moments and if that went in, we would had suffer relegation! I still remember it as a picture of the ball hitting the crossbar was on the R's match program with the caption describing my same thoughts today. So I asked a lot of questions about this season so far, negative and positive. I am sure you will add even more!
    If we managed at least 10 points from our six defeats on the row (we lost against Burton and Bristol City among others), we would be with a big chance of the play offs.
    If we did not concede six goals at home against Newcastle, our goal difference would be plus or even.
    If we did not loose against Brentford at home, we would kept our record at home against them intact.
    If we did no go on the recent good form of results, we would be in a relegation battle.
    If Fulham did not miss two penalties at Craven Cottage, we would still have to wait another season to another try.
    If Green managed to extend his contract, we would be in a much worse position and missed the chance to unveil Smithies.
    If the referee got it right against Blackburn, we would be in tenth place.
    If Smithies did not saved the amount of penalties he did, we would be in a much worse position.
    If the R's did not missed all those simple chances against Leeds, we would be four places better.
    If Ollie joined us at the beginning of the season.......what if?

I like to wonder hypothetically too, always interesting to do. Never knew about tony currie hitting the crossbar though as it was waaaay before my time but thats still an interesting thing to think about like, what situation would we have been in now? We would have missed out on lots of players in the following seasons thats for sure

Comment

If Ollie had joined us at the beginning of the season, JFH would have been sacked at the end of last season.

Comment

I welll remember Currie hitting the bar. I was stood behind the goal in the Loft. We all ran in the pitch at the final whistle.

Comment

If other teams had their fair share of if's too, we'd be exactly where we are now

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
            If other teams had their fair share of if's too, we'd be exactly where we are now
            Could not say for sure. Not all teams have the same luck or lack of it; not all teams suffer the same from the referee bad decisions. That's why if!

Comment

Working...
            X