Westminster / Manchester / London Bridge / Parsons Green attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gaza09 View Post
    Im Ex forces, and I'm now a private military contractor working mainly in the middle east, I know exactly what their culture is and its backward and inferior.
    Many of my ex squaddie mates who now work in counter terrorism, and the security services could tell you things that terrify me, and I've fought in 3 different wars.
    We've allowed the barbarians through the gates, and no amount of appeasement will keep our children safe. And a society that can't protect it's children has no future.
    Look, I wouldn't say a bad word about our service men and women. I think they do and incredibly difficult and dangerous job for far less reward and recognition than they deserve. I'm sure you seen things that somebody like me who hasn't served would struggle to comprehend. That said, you can't judge a whole religion and a group of people that runs into the billions based on what you've seen in conflict zones.

I lived in the Middle East for over a decade including stints in Oman, Kuwait and the UAE. Those 3 locations are without a doubt the most peaceful and safest places I have ever lived. In fact the only violence I ever saw in the Middle East was from Western expats who had drank too much on the weekend. During my time in the Middle East I interacted closely with hundreds of Muslims and I am still friends with many to this day. If you ask any of them about Islamic State and extreme, fundamentalist views, they will all tell you the same thing. That this has nothing to do with Islam and these terrorists are not real Muslims.

In contrast, I now live in Johannesburg which is an incredibly Christian city with the vast majority of the population here following the Protestant church. This is without a doubt the scariest and most violent place I have lived. I have encountered some truly unpleasant human beings during my stint here. By your school of logic, I should obviously be writing off the Christian world. Is that correct?

As for allowing "the barbarians through the gates". Sorry to break it to you mate, the barbarians were already here. Almost every Islamic Terrorist attack that has happened in the UK has been carried out by British nationals, not immigrants. In my opinion, these are sick people using Islam as a vehicle. They would be offenders regardless, many of them were before they adopted Islam.

With regards to "keeping our children safe", you needn't worry. You live in one of the safest places on the planet. Statistically, there is actually significantly less terrorism now than there was in the 80's when I was a kid growing up in the South East of England.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that every walk of life has good people and bad people. Choosing to hate billions of people based on the actions of a very small few is just absolutely crazy to me!
    Last edited by Tarbie; 28-03-2017, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
      Look, I wouldn't say a bad word about our service men and women. I think they do and incredibly difficult and dangerous job for far less reward and recognition than they deserve. I'm sure you seen things that somebody like me who hasn't served would struggle to comprehend. That said, you can't judge a whole religion and a group of people that runs into the billions based on what you've seen in conflict zones.

I lived in the Middle East for over a decade including stints in Oman, Kuwait and the UAE. Those 3 locations are without a doubt the most peaceful and safest places I have ever lived. In fact the only violence I ever saw in the Middle East was from Western expats who had drank too much on the weekend. During my time in the Middle East I interacted closely with hundreds of Muslims and I am still friends with many to this day. If you ask any of them about Islamic State and extreme, fundamentalist views, they will all tell you the same thing. That this has nothing to do with Islam and these terrorists are not real Muslims.

In contrast, I now live in Johannesburg which is an incredibly Christian city with the vast majority of the population here following the Protestant church. This is without a doubt the scariest and most violent place I have lived. I have encountered some truly unpleasant human beings during my stint here. By your school of logic, I should obviously be writing off the Christian world. Is that correct?

As for allowing "the barbarians through the gates". Sorry to break it to you mate, the barbarians were already here. Almost every Islamic Terrorist attack that has happened in the UK has been carried out by British nationals, not immigrants. In my opinion, these are sick people using Islam as a vehicle. They would be offenders regardless, many of them were before they adopted Islam.

With regards to "keeping our children safe", you needn't worry. You live in one of the safest places on the planet. Statistically, there is actually significantly less terrorism now than there was in the 80's when I was a kid growing up in the South East of England.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that every walk of life has good people and bad people. Choosing to hate billions of people based on the actions of a very small few is just absolutely crazy to me!
      I don't judge a religion on the actions of people, I judge it on the scripture.
      You seem to be conflating islam an ideology with Muslims who are people who follow that ideology to varying degrees.

Comment

I don't judge a religion on the actions of people, I judge it on the scripture.
        You seem to be conflating islam an ideology with Muslims who are people who follow that ideology to varying degrees.
        You read the bible Gaz? Some pretty horrific stuff in that too, particularly the old testament.

I'm not a religious man. I find the idea of leading my life by the teachings of scripture that was written thousands of years ago pretty ridiculous. I also think that with modern science, you can discount the vast majority of what is written in the bible as nonsense. But I believe that in modern society people should have the right to believe in what they want, as long as they are not infringing on the civil liberties of others in practicing that belief.

Comment

• That bibles a right barstard of a book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
            You read the bible Gaz? Some pretty horrific stuff in that too, particularly the old testament.

I'm not a religious man. I find the idea of leading my life by the teachings of scripture that was written thousands of years ago pretty ridiculous. I also think that with modern science, you can discount the vast majority of what is written in the bible as nonsense. But I believe that in modern society people should have the right to believe in what they want, as long as they are not infringing on the civil liberties of others in practicing that belief.
            I agree with everything you just posted, that's why I'm not a fan of people who are inspired by religious scripture killing people.
            What's with the whataboutary with the bible?
            When's the last
            time someone was murdered in the name of Christianity in this country?

Comment

• Tarbs, if you aint a religious nan why did youread the bible, new and old testaments?
              Couldn't think of anything worse i dont think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                Tarbs, if you aint a religious nan why did youread the bible, new and old testaments?
                Couldn't think of anything worse i dont think.
                I came from a protestant, Glaswegian family. My mother was religious and tried to raise me that way. I knew from a young age that it wasn't for me and I actually took up rugby cos training and matches were at the same time as church on a Sunday and I knew it would get me out of it. But a lot of it has stayed with me.

Whilst I can't say I've read the bible cover to cover as an adult, I do take an interest in different cultures and people, and what makes them tick. It always fascinates me that so many intelligent people can read something like Jesus turning water into wine, Moses parting the Red Sea or Mohammed riding on the back of a winged horse and actually take it all seriously!

Comment

• Same as that, i dont believe in any religion.
                  I honestly believe that all books of heroes like jesus and mohammed etc were just olden day clever/priviliged people and they were just like the queen or magaret thatcher but didnt have the law and prison to scare people, so made up that they came from the sky to keep peole in line.

Comment

Same as that, i dont believe in any religion.
                    I honestly believe that all books of heroes like jesus and mohammed etc were just olden day clever people and they were just like the queen or magaret thatcher but didnt have the law and prison to scare people, so made up that they came from the sky to keep peole in line.
                    Religion is what we had before CCTV mate.

Comment

Same as that, i dont believe in any religion.
                      I honestly believe that all books of heroes like jesus and mohammed etc were just olden day clever/priviliged people and they were just like the queen or magaret thatcher but didnt have the law and prison to scare people, so made up that they came from the sky to keep peole in line.
                      You only have to look at cultures/ societies which haven't evolved as much as we have. They still have their Witch doctors and Shamen. It's a human trait to want to believe there's a hidden force or being as we just can't accept that when we die that's it, game over.
                      If religion helps people deal with the loss of a loved one or indeed their own immortality then why not. Just don't ram it down everyone else's throats.
                      “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
                      Will Danaher

Comment

• Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
                        You only have to look at cultures/ societies which haven't evolved as much as we have. They still have their Witch doctors and Shamen. It's a human trait to want to believe there's a hidden force or being as we just can't accept that when we die that's it, game over.
                        If religion helps people deal with the loss of a loved one or indeed their own immortality then why not. Just don't ram it down everyone else's throats.
                        Nail on head mate.

I think that a belief in a higher power or even the supernatural is directly linked to people not wanting to accept their own mortality and the mortality of those close to them. The belief that they will one day be reunited with loved ones they lost is something that they so dearly want to be true that it overcomes logic, which (in my mind anyway) dictates that when you die, that's probably pretty final!

Comment

I agree with everything you just posted, that's why I'm not a fan of people who are inspired by religious scripture killing people.
                          What's with the whataboutary with the bible?
                          When's the last time someone was murdered in the name of Christianity in this country?
                          Agree with all that.

Comment

• http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/...katie-hopkins/

Comment

• Katie Hopkins knows the apple and ain't afraid to speak the truth, something very rare these days

Comment

Katie Hopkins knows the apple and ain't afraid to speak the truth, something very rare these days
                                You gotta be trolling now mate......surely?!!

Comment

Working...
                                X