Westminster / Manchester / London Bridge / Parsons Green attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gaza09 View Post
    The IRA carried out terrorists attacks in the name of a united Ireland, it had little to do with Catholicism.
    These jihadists are carrying out terrorists attacks in the name of Islam.
    The two are not remotely comparable, but you keep being an apologist for the religion of peace.
    a lot of people assume the troubles in Ireland were based on religion. Like you correctly say gaza, that is not the case
    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
    This morning's tempest I have to cross
    I must be guided without a stumble
    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
      a lot of people assume the troubles in Ireland were based on religion. Like you correctly say gaza, that is not the case
      Apart from the fact that the Catholics, bar none, were loyalist. And likewise the Protestant were 100% Unionist? Going off on a tangent here. But the troubles were a complex set of circumstances, just as is the current wave of terrorism in Europe.

In my opinion both situations are simply a case of sick individuals finding a cause to act out their twisted desires. What we need to fight is extremism and a desire to inflict suffering on other humans, rather than demonising a certain religion or group of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
        Apart from the fact that the Catholics, bar none, were loyalist. And likewise the Protestant were 100% Unionist? Going off on a tangent here. But the troubles were a complex set of circumstances, just as is the current wave of terrorism in Europe.

In my opinion both situations are simply a case of sick individuals finding a cause to act out their twisted desires. What we need to fight is extremism and a desire to inflict suffering on other humans, rather than demonising a certain religion or group of people.
        Agreed, and the way to do that requires a system that does not disenfranchise people, brutalise people, impoverish people (and entire nations), divide and rule people through religion, dogma, nationalism, capitalism, totalitarianism.... Is that ever going to happen?
        Last edited by Hubble; 25-03-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Catholics weren't loyalist mate, they were republicans. The protestants were the loyalists
          As for 'sick and twisted' ideologies, I'm no IRA sympathiser but comparing the ideologies of Muslim extremists who want women treated as second class citizens, homosexuals to be thrown off high rise buildings and children to have their hands cut off for stealing to Irish republicans who wanted a country divided in the past to be united again is no comparison.
          Like I say, I don't agree with what the IRA did but comparing their ideology of a united Ireland to that of the extremists interpretation of Islam is way off the mark.
          “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
          Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
            Catholics weren't loyalist mate, they were republicans. The protestants were the loyalists
            As for 'sick and twisted' ideologies, I'm no IRA sympathiser but comparing the ideologies of Muslim extremists who want women treated as second class citizens, homosexuals to be thrown off high rise buildings and children to have their hands cut off for stealing to Irish republicans who wanted a country divided in the past to be united again is no comparison.
            Like I say, I don't agree with what the IRA did but comparing their ideology of a united Ireland to that of the extremists interpretation of Islam is way off the mark.
            Fair enough mate.

Certainly didn't mean to offend.

I think we both agree that the level of violence in both conflicts is abhorrent and little to do with relegion. That is the only point I was trying to make.

Comment

Meanwhile, while the media circus rages on, hundreds of innocent civilians are killed in coalition airstrikes... Men, women and kids buried beneath the rubble caused by US/UK bombing... Where do we wish to put our attention? Do we want the global media to dictate how we feel? How do we decide - independently - what's going on in the world? And from what perspective? Who controls our narrative? Us? Or is it set for us by an agenda? What would happen if we stopped reading the news?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...le-nobody-came
              Last edited by Hubble; 25-03-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Fair enough mate.

Certainly didn't mean to offend.

I think we both agree that the level of violence in both conflicts is abhorrent and little to do with relegion. That is the only point I was trying to make.
                No offence taken. Like you say they are both very complex issues and there are a fair few misconceptions floating around.
                Don't get me wrong, the murdering and maiming of IRA bombs is just an inexcusable as the terrorist attacks taking place now but their reasons were completely different.
                Thankfully things have settled down somewhat in Northern Ireland, I'm not sure they ever will in the Middle East.
                Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                  Meanwhile, while the media circus rages on, hundreds of innocent civilians are killed in coalition airstrikes... Men, women and kids buried beneath the rubble caused by US/UK bombing... Where do we wish to put our attention? Do we want the global media to dictate how we feel? How do we decide - independently - what's going on in the world? And from what perspective? Who controls our narrative? Us? Or is it set for us by an agenda? What would happen if we stopped reading the news?

It's a fu€Ked up situation Hubs and the west has an awful lot of blood on its hands too.
                  There's a twisted part of me thinks more lives would be saved in the long run if we just nuked the entire Middle East and left it as an empty desert.
                  Will Danaher

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
                      No offence taken. Like you say they are both very complex issues and there are a fair few misconceptions floating around.
                      Don't get me wrong, the murdering and maiming of IRA bombs is just an inexcusable as the terrorist attacks taking place now but their reasons were completely different.
                      Thankfully things have settled down somewhat in Northern Ireland, I'm not sure they ever will in the Middle East.
                      For there ever to be peace in the Middle East, the West and in particular the US would need to completely revise their foreign policy. Something would also need to be done about the illegal expansion of Israel and millions of people would need to learn that there is more to life than scripture that is thousands of years old.

As you say.......ain't happening any time soon!
                      Last edited by Tarbie; 25-03-2017, 11:47 AM.

Comment

That geezer on wednesday must feel a tad justified sitting with his virgins in heaven after seeing his home town and where he grew up being attacked and bombed.

Comment

For there ever to be peace in the Middle East, the West and in particular the US would need to completely revise their foreign policy.
                          And Russia, Iran and Saudi Arabia. All three have extremely dubious and adversarial foreign policy also.

If you're going to include the US then you have to include these countries too for the sake of parity.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                            And Russia, Iran and Saudi Arabia. All three have extremely dubious and adversarial foreign policy also.

If you're going to include the US then you have to include these countries too for the sake of parity.
                            True.

Iran are improving though. But Russia's policy in the Middle East is extremely dubious. Saudi will never change for anyone. But you could argue the region needs somewhere like the Saudi for liberal places like Dubai to also exist........but that one is a much longer argument!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                              That geezer on wednesday must feel a tad justified sitting with his virgins in heaven after seeing his home town and where he grew up being attacked and bombed.
                              Strange comment Kev, seeing as the deranged criminal known as Khalid Masood was born in Kent and grew up in Tunbridge Wellls.

Or were you being ironic? It's hard to know with you.
                              Last edited by Hubble; 25-03-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Strange comment Kev, seeing as the deranged criminal known as Khalid Masood was born in Kent and grew up in Tunbridge Wellls.
                                So why did you post that link then, wheres the connection to the 'parliament attack' title of this thread mate, wheres a connection whatsoever?

Comment

Working...
                                X