Playing Smith and Sylla together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Smith and Sylla together?

We won 5-1 and they combined nicely for the first, so it clearly worked for the team, but it didn't really work, I think. We went long far too much all first half, especially Lynch, largely, because both were up. We hadn't that much width from which either could benefit. Thought Washington was very lively when he came on, so have to say it's Smith and Washington for me as the top two every time.

TBH I thought Sylla was pony. Socreline being a side issue (as I honestly don't think we played that well), I would have Smith and Washington starting up top

Also 77 ref Lynch - BANG ON!! Said it weeks ago on here and again to my pals today at HT, all he does is launch the ball long - really frustrating.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

I'd start Washington ahead of Sylla every time. Sylla, to me, only looks effective as an impact sub. Tends to be a bit lazy when he starts. Washington has looked sharp as a tack since Ollie came in and deserves to start imo.
      Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
      Pawel Wszolek - 6
      Luke Freeman - 6
      Matt Smith - 6
      Ebere Eze - 4
      Joel Lynch - 3
      Tomer Hemed - 3
      Toni Leistner - 2
      Massimo Luongo- 2
      Angel Rangel - 2
      Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
      Geoff Cameron - 1
      Aramide Oteh - 1
      Jake Bidwell - 1
      Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Smith and Sylla were to close together and offered no variety as they they play the same roles. Smith with his head Sylla with his chest.Smith and Washington would be a better combination
        But Washington must take his chances after he does all the hard work to set himself up.
        Just an extra Nervous Ned is now Ned

Comment

Don't agree about Lynch. Usually he uses the ball very well for a CB - infinitely better at this than Ned, but I guess with two big guys up front it's tempting for the CBs to do the lazy thing and just launch the ball forward. Don't really think Ollie wants us to play that way anyway.

Comment

my preferred choice would be smith and washington too as, like you said, sylla and smith offer the same thing. although i don't think sylla had as good a game as he should have i saw improvements in different parts of his game today, he ran more than usual from what i saw and got himself involved a bit more on the wings etc. i think ollie is trying to get through to him a bit more.

agree about lynch and the hoofing though, i don't think i saw him attempt a pass that was within 10 yards of him during the first half! still, i think he was brilliant for us today and won everything in the air whilst also being good cover

Comment

As soon as I saw the line up I questioned the selection on the pre match thread! The Smith and Washington partnership seems so much more natural. Especislly as both are grafters compared to Syllas more laid back approach.

I think a few people got the nod for a start yesterday because it was Rotherham. Can't see Sylla starting when Ollie plays are best 11. Handy to have on the bench though!

Comment

The rules are simple - Big Man/Little Man

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                  TBH I thought Sylla was pony. Socreline being a side issue (as I honestly don't think we played that well), I would have Smith and Washington starting up top

Also 77 ref Lynch - BANG ON!! Said it weeks ago on here and again to my pals today at HT, all he does is launch the ball long - really frustrating.
                  West London Sport called Lynch majestic yesterday.

PLAYER RATINGS via GETWESTLONDON

Smithies - Nothing he could do about the goal, was a great strike. Largely quiet for the rest of the game. Easy afternoon. 7

Furlong - Easy game for the right-back and looked to get forward in the first half. Nothing to do in the second period. 7

Onuoha - Hardly troubled in the first half and kept things so simple. Capped off a great afternoon by getting the fifth late on. 8

Lynch - Very calm at the back and ball distribution was decent. Won't have an easier game but looked majestic. 8

Bidwell - Solid down the left and looked to get forward when possible in the first period. A bit quieter in the second but didn't have much to do really. 7

Hall - Went about his work quietly in the middle of the park. Nothing outstanding but did a job. 6

N'Gbakoto - Quiet first half and didn't do too much. But he was straight into the second half action by scoring a penalty and Rangers' third. Nearly scored again with a cheeky lob which was well saved. Went quiet again after that. 6

Luongo - So tidy and calm on the ball, brings others into play. Deserved to be on the score sheet finally - his first league goal for the club - when he got the fourth of the afternoon just before the hour-mark. 8

Freeman - Great run and did well to shrug off last defender before putting Rangers back in front on 15 minutes. Substituted in the second half. 7

Smith - A fantastic finish on the volley for the opener very early on. Found the bottom corner with precision after he was sent through on the left. Won the penalty early in the second half. Substituted. 7

Sylla - Great ball through to strike partner Smith for the first goal. Hit the net support with a ferocious strike in the first half. Faded in the second half and didn't do much. 6

Washington - Replaced the hard-working Matt Smith just past the hour. Ran the front line as you'd expect like a pest. So unlucky not to score when he beat three players and hit the post. 7

Morrison - Came on alongside Washington, for Freeman. Calm and tidy, kept the middle of the park ticking. Nearly scored the fifth after Washington's shot hit the post. 6

Goss - Replaced Luongo with 15 minutes or so remaining. Not much to really say. 5

Comment

Washington is a completely different player, plays with a lot of confidence now. Olly has completely transformed this side. A few additions in the summer and I think we'll be one of the favourites for automatic promotion
                    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                    This morning's tempest I have to cross
                    I must be guided without a stumble
                    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post

Totally agree about Lynch, people complained for years about Onuoha's long balls, Lynch only ever passes it long. Good defender and distributor of the ball, just needs to be more calm and try and play it through the midfield.
                      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Lynch does like a long ball but does anyone know If Olly has told him to ping it long to Smith?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                          West London Sport called Lynch majestic yesterday.

PLAYER RATINGS via GETWESTLONDON

Smithies - Nothing he could do about the goal, was a great strike. Largely quiet for the rest of the game. Easy afternoon. 7

Furlong - Easy game for the right-back and looked to get forward in the first half. Nothing to do in the second period. 7

Onuoha - Hardly troubled in the first half and kept things so simple. Capped off a great afternoon by getting the fifth late on. 8

Lynch - Very calm at the back and ball distribution was decent. Won't have an easier game but looked majestic. 8

Bidwell - Solid down the left and looked to get forward when possible in the first period. A bit quieter in the second but didn't have much to do really. 7

Hall - Went about his work quietly in the middle of the park. Nothing outstanding but did a job. 6

N'Gbakoto - Quiet first half and didn't do too much. But he was straight into the second half action by scoring a penalty and Rangers' third. Nearly scored again with a cheeky lob which was well saved. Went quiet again after that. 6

Luongo - So tidy and calm on the ball, brings others into play. Deserved to be on the score sheet finally - his first league goal for the club - when he got the fourth of the afternoon just before the hour-mark. 8

Freeman - Great run and did well to shrug off last defender before putting Rangers back in front on 15 minutes. Substituted in the second half. 7

Smith - A fantastic finish on the volley for the opener very early on. Found the bottom corner with precision after he was sent through on the left. Won the penalty early in the second half. Substituted. 7

Sylla - Great ball through to strike partner Smith for the first goal. Hit the net support with a ferocious strike in the first half. Faded in the second half and didn't do much. 6

Washington - Replaced the hard-working Matt Smith just past the hour. Ran the front line as you'd expect like a pest. So unlucky not to score when he beat three players and hit the post. 7

Morrison - Came on alongside Washington, for Freeman. Calm and tidy, kept the middle of the park ticking. Nearly scored the fifth after Washington's shot hit the post. 6

Goss - Replaced Luongo with 15 minutes or so remaining. Not much to really say. 5
                          Majestic ffs just read Clive's match report on LFW and glad he saw the same Lynch performance I did.
                          You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
                            agree about lynch and the hoofing though, i don't think i saw him attempt a pass that was within 10 yards of him during the first half! still, i think he was brilliant for us today and won everything in the air whilst also being good cover
                            I'd still much rather see him attempt a forward pass than the constant and tedious sideways or backwards passing that we've had to endure for so long. Even Mark Lazarus has complained about it and I'm with him! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                              Totally agree about Lynch, people complained for years about Onuoha's long balls, Lynch only ever passes it long. Good defender and distributor of the ball, just needs to be more calm and try and play it through the midfield.
                              Thing is though, I didn't see that much movement in our midfield or Luongo or Freeman showing for the ball when Lynch had it, so what other option did he have? It was keep the ball or lump it forward most of the time.
                              Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                              Pawel Wszolek - 6
                              Luke Freeman - 6
                              Matt Smith - 6
                              Ebere Eze - 4
                              Joel Lynch - 3
                              Tomer Hemed - 3
                              Toni Leistner - 2
                              Massimo Luongo- 2
                              Angel Rangel - 2
                              Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2