• Show
Clear All

• A pint of Guinness

how should it be served?
    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
    This morning's tempest I have to cross
    I must be guided without a stumble
    Into the arms I love the most

I only normally drink it when I'm on my bi-annual fishing trip to Ireland as whatever people say, it just ain't as good over here, at least not in the pubs I've drunk in over the years. Had one yesterday in a pub in Twickenham in honour of my late dad, a Mayo man and
    it didn't change my opinion !
    It was so thin the girl behind the jump only had to top it up once while pouring it and the head was about as thick as a fag paper.
    I've had better from other pubs but it's never been quite as good as the pub I frequent when I'm in the emerald isle.

A good pint should be so creamy it should take at least 5 minutes to pour. Three top ups minimum whilst waiting for it to settle and the head should be about a thumbs width thick.
    It should also cling to the side of the glass as you drink it.
    Served by a friendly quick witted Irishman and I'd say you're not far off the perfect pint.
    No food required.
    Imho of course !
    “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
    Will Danaher

Comment

Couldn't have put it better Itso! The first time I visited Ireland I realised what Guinness should really taste like. I've never tasted a pint as good over here, even in Kilburn.

Comment

come on ,it cant be as nice as ,a stagnant pint ,poured in one go ,in a plastic cup ,in the blue and white bar ,with someone spilling p iss week carlsberg down the sleave of your coat.
        Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Originally posted by vespa View Post
          come on ,it cant be as nice as ,a stagnant pint ,poured in one go ,in a plastic cup ,in the blue and white bar ,with someone spilling p iss week carlsberg down the sleave of your coat.
          haha, between all that and having to dislocate your knees to fit into your seat it all adds to the match day experience.

Hubs, if the last bastion of irishness, aka Kikburn, can't produce a proper pint then God only knows the reason why.
          Probably best though. If I found somewhere where it was as good as the real deal I'd be on it every night and be about 5 stone heavier.
          Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
            I only normally drink it when I'm on my bi-annual fishing trip to Ireland as whatever people say, it just ain't as good over here, at least not in the pubs I've drunk in over the years. Had one yesterday in a pub in Twickenham in honour of my late dad, a Mayo man and
            it didn't change my opinion !
            It was so thin the girl behind the jump only had to top it up once while pouring it and the head was about as thick as a fag paper.
            I've had better from other pubs but it's never been quite as good as the pub I frequent when I'm in the emerald isle.

A good pint should be so creamy it should take at least 5 minutes to pour. Three top ups minimum whilst waiting for it to settle and the head should be about a thumbs width thick.
            It should also cling to the side of the glass as you drink it.
            Served by a friendly quick witted Irishman and I'd say you're not far off the perfect pint.
            No food required.
            Imho of course !
            my Uncle had a bar in County Galway. You're right about the time it takes to pour a pint. If you didn't do it properly you wouldn't have any customers. Very fussy the Irish are about their Guinness

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
              my Uncle had a bar in County Galway. You're right about the time it takes to pour a pint. If you didn't do it properly you wouldn't have any customers. Very fussy the Irish are about their Guinness
              I imagine there were a fair few pints of the black stuff sunk yesterday evening after that rugby result.
              It does seem like it's falling out of favour though with the younger drinkers, certainly where I go anyway.
              Makes me feel even more of an even older fart than I already am.
              Will Danaher

Comment

London Irish I believe hold the record for the most Guinness drunk at a sports event

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                  London Irish I believe hold the record for the most Guinness drunk at a sports event
                  I can well believe that.
                  Will Danaher

Comment

Working...
                  X