Goss/Ravel from those at the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goss/Ravel from those at the game

- Been excited about Goss, either alot of hype or someone special i thought.

Sounds like he was clearly a cut above the team today in terms of his passing and movement into space?

How was he deployed?

Was he strong enough on the ball and in a tackle?

How do you see him fitting into a 'best 11' with Freeman, Manning and Pawel back in the starting line up?

- Ravel, excited but very apprehensive about this one.

Sounds like he was a bit off the pace? i guess though match sharpness is not something you can train for, was he just lumbering or just a bit slow witted?

Where did he slot into?

Bloody good win yesterday! It's excellent when we can scrape matches playing badly, sign of good things imo. Much needed points wise too, results would have gone against us yesterday had we not come out on top.

Cheers guys!

To be honest Goss wasn't challenged all that much, they were just trying to stop him playing balls further forward but he still had a bit of time try, mainly screening him rather than making challenges. I would say Goss would be instead of Manning or Freeman against teams that play a high line and we want through balls. The only challenges I saw him make he didn't get pushed away but didn't often get the ball, looked more like just getting used to the pace of other teams. He seemed to be playing as a playmaker and he eventually started dropping back instead of Hall so he could pick up.the ball and make things happen.

Ravel came in to cm and was kinda just wandering about and holding back. The one time he got really involved up front he won the free kick. Other than that he only had one other touch. He looked pacey fitness wise as there was a one on one run up to McGregors end near the end of the game.to chase a ball and whilst he didn't win the ball, he didn't actually lose the race. Willing to be patient as we know the talent he has.

Comment

Thought Goss looked really positive yesterday considering his lack of games. Looks like he'll be able to dictate from deep, and always wanted to get on the ball. It was great seeing him come short for goal kicks and pick the ball up, rather than us having to go long every time - I think he'll be a really good addition for us against certain sides.

Ravel looked massive, but fair play to him he tried to get around the pitch and make himself busy. Didn't get into the game too much, but given time I'm sure he'll slot in. I reckon he'll be more of an impact player than a starter, as I feel that Freeman has looked 1st class in that role, but the depth of our squad is something else.

Comment

Said on few other threads Goss looked decent and was my standout player in a pretty poor first half. Can see why he is compared to Carrick as hes very calm on the ball and looks to have a very decent range of passing

As for Revel has the ability not to do an awful lot but still effect the game. He never had much time on the ball but without it, and what some won't see or give him credit for, he dropped in defensively and done his bit. Also he's very smart few times he goes into the space when others follow the ball we just never managed to get to him but when we did he gets pulled down and we score more or less from it.

He also when he came on was barking out orders and telling senior player in Mackie where to be a few times dare I say I saw bit of a leader in him.

Comment

Thought Ravel just looked completely lost yesterday. Seemed unable to judge the bounce of the ball, looked like he hadn't played football for months....which of course may well be the case. Needs more sub appearances to get up to speed, but we all know there's more there

Comment

Goss was comfortable on the ball and looks like being an elegant player. Wasn't closed down too much as he sat deep so difficult to say how he would cope with physical pressure. However he's the type of player that will need forwards to make intelligent runs to benefit from his range of passing. Morrison looked overweight and a little off the pace, but he did try hard so I think with some more minutes on the pitch and another month or so he will improve greatly. Also he is an organiser and talker, so as long as he says the right things, should be good for the team!

Comment

Originally posted by amusant View Post
              Thought Ravel just looked completely lost yesterday. Seemed unable to judge the bounce of the ball, looked like he hadn't played football for months....which of course may well be the case. Needs more sub appearances to get up to speed, but we all know there's more there
              This, he actually looked like ali dia yesterday. Still though i agree that he needs more time, unlike dia he has bags of potential and at least looked like he wanted to do well yesterday

Comment

Thought both added something. Not sure exactly what at the moment but believe over time they will move this team forward if allowed time. Team is OK but think they bring that bit extra like the foul on ravel outside the box was purely caused by ravels quick feet. That type of ability has been missing from our team. Found it hard to evaluate goss performance. Thought Washington was our stand out player.
                Even though Cardiff were dominant you never got the feeling we would cave in. Thought great team performance yesterday and promising.

Comment

I look forward to watching this match later today to have a good look at the new additions, fair play to Ollie for playing them in such an important match! Now that we are starting to get a little bit of breathing room Ollie should really be able to try different things and see what he has and what he needs to push on next season!
                  @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post

- Ravel, excited but very apprehensive about this one.

Sounds like he was a bit off the pace? i guess though match sharpness is not something you can train for, was he just lumbering or just a bit slow witted?

Where did he slot into?
                    Only had a 15 min cameo so too early to tell. He drew the foul on the edge of the area which lead to the winning goal though, so credit to him for that. Showed good touches as always too.

Comment

Cheers for the summation sounds pretty positive really doesn't it?

The need for a player like Goss to have people to make runs and understand where he wants them to be, could take a while. I think we may need to invest in a player almost specifically to him, unless Ravel/Freeman/Pawel/Wash (seem like the obvious ones in our squad for one reason or another) have the nouse and pace to help unlock his potential.

Comment

Goss was bar far our best player yesterday and he and Hall linked up very well in the middle of the park , but to the detriment of Luongo. Only critism of Goss was that IMHO he was too deep, a bit like Rooney, always dropping back to find the ball, I guess the Man Utd way?

When Goss went off and Luongo moved to centre mid Massimo improved significantly, no not sure how Holloway can play all three.

Ravel, was well off the pace, jumped into the opponent every time he went for a header rather than go for the ball, which was fairly often, but if you take the best part of two years out of Football you aren't going to be up to much
                        22nd February away v Charlton is the 40th Anniversary of my support of QPR and my first game. Away v Chelsea 3-3 23rd Feb 1974. 40 years of pure magic!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sotonsuperhoop View Post
                          Goss was bar far our best player yesterday and he and Hall linked up very well in the middle of the park , but to the detriment of Luongo. Only critism of Goss was that IMHO he was too deep, a bit like Rooney, always dropping back to find the ball, I guess the Man Utd way?

When Goss went off and Luongo moved to centre mid Massimo improved significantly, no not sure how Holloway can play all three.

Ravel, was well off the pace, jumped into the opponent every time he went for a header rather than go for the ball, which was fairly often, but if you take the best part of two years out of Football you aren't going to be up to much
                          I was saying to the guy next to me, we played Hall, Goss and Luongo in the same role all at once yesterday and it kept the ball without creating much until the change was made.
                          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Goss our new Faurlin?
                            "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

hope his legs aint the same
                              Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Working...
                              X