Matt Smith centre half?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Smith centre half?

Smith very had a useful game yesterday. One thing though, he dutifully trotted back to mark one of their big lumps when we were defending set pieces and he was rock solid. He got his head on virtually all their corners and free kicks he defended and made good clearances..... He was very dominant.
    Alright, I know he's handy up front but based on yesterday's cameo at the back I reckon he could be a very impressive centre back who could still go forward for our set pieces and/or be thrown up front when we were chasing a game. It sort of needs as must and I reckon we need an imposing, reliable and physically dominating centre half. If that CB can play a bit or knows where the net is, well, that's even better isn't it?

Can you imagine the kick back on here and in the fans groups if Matt Smith turned up at CB?

It does make sense based on what you said above, but he's a striker.

Comment

Well shitu did play up front once so why not lol
      Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

It makes zero sense and can't believe this has been raised. The guy is a CF not defender if we want a CB let's get one in. The geezer is decent at what he does but he's immobile can get away up top given role he plays but that's it Jesus let's play him on the wing so we can play the big diagonal ball

One thing trotting back for set pieces totally another thing playing CB for 90mins

Comment

Well watching Lynch casually strolling about and Ned treating ball like a hot potato made it seem a reasonable thing to consider at least.... It was quite stark watching all three of them defending. I dunno Matt's background..... He's been about a while and let's be frank, he's not set world alight as a striker thus far in his career. Maybe we can succeed where others have failed and turn him into a decent hitman but I'd love to see him try a game at CB - would be type of thing to explore if we could win some bleeding games, get mid-table and safe from drop with plenty of games to spare in which to fiddle about with some shapes, formations and tactics. Pavel as wing back is another I'd like to investigate!

Comment

Fck me, lets play Ned up front because he is quick...

Get all your tall players in for set pieces...been a staple in football for decades.

Comment

a lot of sunday league players do it when they get older and lose a bit of pace

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                a lot of sunday league players do it when they get older and lose a bit of pace
                Ha..I always wondered why I went from Right Wing to Right Back !

Comment

Originally posted by Gtleighsr3 View Post
                  Well shitu did play up front once so why not lol
                  That was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.
                  Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                  Pawel Wszolek - 6
                  Luke Freeman - 6
                  Matt Smith - 6
                  Ebere Eze - 4
                  Joel Lynch - 3
                  Tomer Hemed - 3
                  Toni Leistner - 2
                  Massimo Luongo- 2
                  Angel Rangel - 2
                  Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                  Geoff Cameron - 1
                  Aramide Oteh - 1
                  Jake Bidwell - 1
                  Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                    Pavel as wing back is another I'd like to investigate!
                    Like at Burton? Where he was completely out the game. He was on a hot streak going into that match and since then seems to have lost all momentum.

Comment

Heading ball with your head from a corner is one thing chasing down a CF from the half way line when you have no pace is something totally different. Do you think he would be any better on the ball then Ned??? Good point on Lynch he seems like streaky player great for four games average for two then but if Smith at CB is the answer I dread to think what question is at the club

Comment

Austin used to always win headers in our own box too - should've stuck him at right back.

Comment

Pretty much the last thing I'd like to see.

One of my pet hates about Holloway is the way he always likes to try playing players out of the normal positions. Occasionally it works (Grant Hall in midfield away from home for example). More often than not is doesn't (Georges Santos in midfield/up front, Steve Palmer in midfield, James Perch in midfield etc.). But I don't even think Holloway would be mad enough to try playing Smith at centre half at this level!

Comment

Smith appears an intelligent individual and knows when to go back to defend.

Comment

Hopefully someone will keep Kenneth Zohore quiet on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X