• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change a winning team?

Will he?
    Won't he?
    Should he?

Hopefully he will not as Saturday was nice and balanced but every chance he will.

Comment

You can't unless there was a clear weak link.

Comment

I am not sure that he should in this instance, but as a generalisation I think yes. When a team is winning it is easier to introduce young players into the starting line-up as the other players should be confident (and hopefully also be playing well). Given what happened last time Olly did this, I think that getting 4 points from the next 2 games is critical and so don't think he should change the starting line-up. Should we pick up 4 points this week (or better) then I think that he can indulge in trying out some other players/formations to help him discover what he needs to compete at the pointy end next season.

Comment

Dont think he should for wigan as theyre a team we absolutely must beat. Plus i think itll do mass some good sitting on the bench for a few weeks as hes been far too inconsistent for us and needs a bit of a kick up the backside

Comment

He'll get crucified by many if he does. The side against Brum looked good on paper, before we thrashed them, so i'd keep it.

I'd like to see Goss on the bench, and brought on if we are winning, even Ravel.

In future though, i don't think we should/can be scared of changing a winning team. Gotta rotate the squad in the championship, too many games. Eventually that winning side is bound to lose anyway!

Comment

Horses for courses and the fact we are at home to a team below us in the table suggests that a change of formation/tactics is likely. The way we set up away from home works when you have opposition that are expected to have more possession and be more of an attacking force. The problem at home against a team that will probably set out two banks of four and look to hit us on the break is that we need a different approach.

I'm sure we can play a different way with the same 11 and, subject to any knocks, they all deserve to start but if changes are made, I'm sure it won't be for any reason other than to suit the plan/tactics employed
              #standuptocancer
              #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Cant see Ollie changing anything unless someone picked up a knock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
                  Horses for courses and the fact we are at home to a team below us in the table suggests that a change of formation/tactics is likely. The way we set up away from home works when you have opposition that are expected to have more possession and be more of an attacking force. The problem at home against a team that will probably set out two banks of four and look to hit us on the break is that we need a different approach.

I'm sure we can play a different way with the same 11 and, subject to any knocks, they all deserve to start but if changes are made, I'm sure it won't be for any reason other than to suit the plan/tactics employed
                  This.

Though i see Ollie as reactive to fans. I think he'll set up very much the same, but charge the players with taking the initiative, so we'll see more of Hall in midfield.

If Wigan have half a brain they'll know within 5 minutes which Ollie team they're playing and either sit back and force us to take them on, something we've struggled to do, or get after us real fast.

Haven;t paid any attention to Wigan, what are they playing at the minute?

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
                    This.

Though i see Ollie as reactive to fans. I think he'll set up very much the same, but charge the players with taking the initiative, so we'll see more of Hall in midfield.

If Wigan have half a brain they'll know within 5 minutes which Ollie team they're playing and either sit back and force us to take them on, something we've struggled to do, or get after us real fast.

Haven;t paid any attention to Wigan, what are they playing at the minute?
                    LDLWD Drew with PNE 0-0 at weekend beat wolves away 1-0 before that

Comment

You have to set up according to who you're playing. We learned that the hard way under JFH when Newcastle came down here, I don't think I've ever seen an Rs side so ill prepared for a fixture (although Harry's three at the rear was very poorly implimented). On the other hand its not like we're so well drilled in Olly's many different set ups that we can change at will. We basically need two different set ups for the rest of term and then cut according to cloth. That way everyone knows what they're doing.

If we're going for a posession orientated game and want to take it to them then you could use the Brum template as a 3-5-2 but push up the ATMs. Ball lost you can drop one or two into the back line.

Comment

was it a front three of Washington smith pawel on Saturday or two up top? not seen any highlights yet only the goals and couldn't tell from there.

Whatever it was surely has to be stuck with on Tuesday, at least for the first half

Comment

We've just changed a losing team. Particularly by making one change. Freeman in CM. Let's not regresss.

Comment

I agree with 77 id keep the exact same team and let wigan worry about us, not us worrying about them, we`ve just won 1-4 away at birmingham, theyll be worried about playing us not us them!
                            http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
                              I agree with 77 id keep the exact same team and let wigan worry about us, not us worrying about them, we`ve just won 1-4 away at birmingham, theyll be worried about playing us not us them!
                              Cant see any changes if I'm honest, he stuck his hands up and said he cocked up v burton so i think he will keep it the same, i would like to see goss and ravel on the bench but sylla and yeni both put hands up to come on if they are subs, fair play to the club mentality has turned round from within imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X