Midfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midfield

For me Manning and Luongo cannot play together in a midfield pair. When you play with 2 in the middle you should be playing one creative player alongside a leader/someone that likes to get their foot in (Derry, Barton etc). I dont think its a case of either of them not being good enough, they just need someone more experienced and composed on the ball to partner them. It was obvious today that the pair of them are both too lightweight to be playing together. Huddersfield completely bossed us in midfield and for me its where the game was lost, Hogg did all the dirty work and won all the second balls and 50/50's for Mooy who has a wonderful right foot. Dont get me wrong, Manning is a fantastic prospect who has a great eye for the game and really knows how to pick a pass but in my eyes in order for him to excel he needs a real composed, experienced player alongside him who isnt afraid to get a foot in. I really feel like we lack that sort of midfielder in our squad and we have failed to bring in anyone of sort in the past couple of windows. You might disagree with me but I feel like this is where we struggle the most. The 2 in midfield are so important in protecting the back 4 its no wonder we get exposed so much at the back. I go to every home game and its something that I've picked up on over the past couple of seasons and would like to see if any of you share the same opinion.

I thought manning looked off the pace today possibly due to as you suggest not suiting his partner. Our midfield today was poor all round

Comment

Just play 3 midfielders, Luongo and Manning do bring different things, Manning is the better passer, luongo is better holding the ball. If we had Ariel, we may have had it done very well. Aggressive ball winner with dribbler and passer, put Ravel in front of them and Smith or Sylla in front of him and you have a chance. 3511 can work.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
        Just play 3 midfielders, Luongo and Manning do bring different things, Manning is the better passer, luongo is better holding the ball. If we had Ariel, we may have had it done very well. Aggressive ball winner with dribbler and passer, put Ravel in front of them and Smith or Sylla in front of him and you have a chance. 3511 can work.
        So we accomdate a defender to fill in the midfield to role.

Comment

Gardner and Davis will have a field day against our powder puff midfield on Sat,Luongo and manning are far to lightweight to play together as a 2.

Comment

At least cousins is going to be back soon, he adds the much needed physicality to our midfield and he will be much better in the 4-3-3 Holloway formation playing as a box to box cm rather than a winger under JFH.

Comment

I know it's against the trend but I really feel Hall can play the DM role.

I agree with OP, our defence is too exposed especially without Lynch, who has been excellent so far this season.

Goss/Luongo/Manning too lightweight?

What about Freeman? Where does he fit in? Hmmmm, would like to think after ousting Henry, selling Sandro and Ariel we got rid of too many of the same player.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers10 View Post
                At least cousins is going to be back soon, he adds the much needed physicality to our midfield and he will be much better in the 4-3-3 Holloway formation playing as a box to box cm rather than a winger under JFH.
                Based on his Charlton record he's exactly what we need.

Based upon his QPR career he's best off staying on the physios table till we forget he exists and get sold to Palace or Cardiff next Jan.

I don't see him as the solution.

Comment

If we're all agreeing out midfield lacks a proper defensive midfielder why have we ostracised while will still paying him Henry. We're in relegation fight surely he's worth at least a place on the bench???

Verging being past it but at least he puts his foot in

Comment

I agree we need a real ball winning midfielder and I would replace Luongo for him in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                      I agree we need a real ball winning midfielder and I would replace Luongo for him in a heartbeat.
                      Henry wins the ball but does nothing with it.

Not sure what we gain, not quick enough to break up play and turn things into attack, woeful distribution. I really like the idea of a formation that changes when in and out of possession. Hall moving in and out of midfield/defence isn't the worst idea, as it allows us to have lighterweight midfielders.

I worked really well against Reading, our best performance in the last 2 years in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
                        Henry wins the ball but does nothing with it.

Not sure what we gain, not quick enough to break up play and turn things into attack, woeful distribution. I really like the idea of a formation that changes when in and out of possession. Hall moving in and out of midfield/defence isn't the worst idea, as it allows us to have lighterweight midfielders.

I worked really well against Reading, our best performance in the last 2 years in my opinion.
                        Agree that Hall at DM is a decent option. Just think we need a real ball-winning hard-man with the experience to organise the midfield as there is too much inexperience in there and that is why we get overrun so often.

Comment

Harley non of our midfield do anything with it nor does the CB playing in the role. At least if he's winning it he's doing more then the others. Manning likes a pass could see Henry winning it and giving it to him to play

Not long term solution granted but needs must. We were told by some fans we were s hit because Henry kept getting picked well guess what he's not been picked in ages and were still s hit. I would rather him being a nasty nuisance in middle then the limp wristed Mass who's game is nose diving

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                            Agree that Hall at DM is a decent option. Just think we need a real ball-winning hard-man with the experience to organise the midfield as there is too much inexperience in there and that is why we get overrun so often.
                            Agreed just thinking on what we have available this season.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                              Harley non of our midfield do anything with it nor does the CB playing in the role. At least if he's winning it he's doing more then the others. Manning likes a pass could see Henry winning it and giving it to him to play

Not long term solution granted but needs must. We were told by some fans we were s hit because Henry kept getting picked well guess what he's not been picked in ages and were still s hit. I would rather him being a nasty nuisance in middle then the limp wristed Mass who's game is nose diving
                              Maybe that's exaclty what Henry lacked, a player alongside him that he can palm the ball to that actually does something?

Who did Henry play with? other DM's really, so fair shout that.

Comment

Working...
                              X