How to beat Blackburn: Retrospective performance analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to beat Blackburn: Retrospective performance analysis

Matchday, I'm a bit bored and haven't done anything like this in a while and have seemingly rubbed a few people the wrong way so figured I'd do a stat analysis on Blackburn's weaknesses.

Looking back at the last 3 teams to beat Blackburn at Ewood Park: Brighton, Reading and Leeds; I'm gonna go through the similarities in their performances and what weaknesses Blackburn showed consistently.

First thing is that all 3 teams favoured through balls. Clearly something Blackburn have a weakness with dealing with, we gotta take advantage of this and Washington starting could be key here. If the boy has the finishing boots he's had the last two games and we play the right balls forward for him, we'll see another goal or two from him today.

Their other weaknesses are avoiding offsides to playing a high line will play to our advantage and we can afford to do that with the pace we've got at the back in the form of Nedum, who's recovery work has been top notch recently.

Blackburn tend to give their opposition a bit of space outside of their defensive third so we have to be confident on the ball. Their first 11 barely changes so we should have done our research (As we did in our last game) and we should be able to identify weaknesses in their side, namely Gordon Greer, their 36 year old centre back who's played 18 games this season and does look to be a liability.

Their team is quite strong in the air, although only slightly more aerially sound than us, so again, this highlights the need for a low passing game. Luongo starting will help this given his choice to play very few aerial passes and with the pace of Wszolek and Washington as well as the workhorse attitude of Mackie, we can hurry and hassle their defenders and easily have the beating of them for pace.

No team has made fewer dribbles per game than Blackburn this season so tackling may not be as big as intercepting in this one and sticking to their players tightly will pressure them into giving it away. Similarly, no team has taken fewer shots per game than Blackburn, particularly at home where even we take more shots than them. We just have to take the chances we get.

We haven't beaten Blackburn in 12 matches since Gallen and Wardley got us a 2-0 win back in late '99, hopefully that'll change today.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

I usually like to use the age old trick of scoring more then opposition

Comment

Interesting analysis. May it bring us a much needed three pointer today.
      Last edited by Shania; 04-02-2017, 12:59 PM.
      QPR
      Best team in the world
      Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
        Ahh that's a classic one, although you gotta make sure that you know how to get the best chances of scoring... hence the above.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Now this is a cunning plan.

Comment

Fair enough. You've identifield possession play, through balls and a high line.

See how that pans out this afternoon. Hopefully with 3points.

Comment

We have to watch out for a certain strker who once was rumoured to have "bought a house in London".
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

I think Blackburn are really there for the taking. We're awful at ours and still won.

My concern is we're clearly very good counter attacking team can we however dictate and take game to others based on Burton we will struggle

Comment

Great analysis, hopefully the management team are reading this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh67 View Post
                    I would hope our management team already know this.
                    Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                    Work Best When Open...
                    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggy View Post
                      I would hope our management team already know this.
                      Nothing wrong with a reminder

Comment

When they can, Blackburn will most likely target Furlong. Hope we have Perch at RB and Hall is back in midfield.
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh67 View Post
                          Absolutely.
                          QPR
                          Best team in the world
                          Sort of

Comment

I think Blackburn are really there for the taking. We're awful at ours and still won. My concern is we're clearly very good counter attacking team can we however dictate and take game to others based on Burton we will struggle
                            If we counter with support (and I think we can afford to do that vs BR) we should get a result.

Comment

old skool west, like it.
                              SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

Working...
                              X