Agree with Ollie pre and post match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
    Yes, on the one hand this seems to make sense. But in your reply you give away the fatal error, the assumption that Burton - "Burton, bloody Burton" as you call them, underlining the assumption - were (relatively) easy pickings. For my money, today was NOT a day to rest your best players, but to make absolutely certain you not only secure those 3 points, but deny any points to a team below you. And to do that, you've GOT to play your strongest team.

And when was the last time Manning and Mackie played? A whole week ago FFS. It's not as if they've just played a midweek match. The midweek match coming up v Newcastle is an opportunity to try something new and rest players, as it represents a free game, in the sense that we would be rightly expected to lose anyway, and Newcastle are not bottom of the table rivals.

So yes, whilst I might be thankful for Ian Holloway's 'honesty and integrity', I am not grateful for him cocking this up. I really do not think we're in any position to take risks in vital games at this point. And the argument that Mackie or Manning might have got injured is a fallacy, since any player could get injured at any time - you can't base decisions on the possibility of someone getting injured if they're not carrying any injury in the first place. Let's get safe first, then try things out.

And whilst I admire Weare's crystal ball, I'm not so blase about our guaranteed safety as he is.
    Spot on! From A to Z.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

Good post Hubble. Ollie got this badly wrong but he was at least entitled to expect a much less complacent performance from those he did select.

Comment

i don't think we are a team reliant on Manning and Mackie. They have played very well since being re-introduced, for sure arguably the best players in the last two games. However we have played well and won without them in the team (every now and then i'll admit). Too many short memories, we've also played rubbish with them on the pitch. We were poor in the two before Reading and just nicked those wins didn't we, really?

The main disappointment I agree with (apart from losing) is that we seemed to be finally gelling at Reading, and now we'll not know if that was because of those two left on the bench, or if we are just generally #### and got lucky in January.

The rest of the team just didn't step up the tempo, we aren't good in possession and panic too easily. However we could have easily lost against Burton with the same team as against Reading, as we played a different style of football, and we had to.

If they'd started and we lost, then been rested against Newcastle Ollie would be chastised for that too no?

I agree they should have started, and we should have gone for points against Burton. But, we should be going for points in every game. Who the #### are Newcastle? We've beaten better teams, and we should believe we can beat them too.

Hindsight is a fans privilege isn't really.

Comment

Ollie watches the players in training and maybe he noticed something with Mackie and Manning which is why he rested them. If he had said that fans would have complained about him making personal remarks about players so he can't win whatever he does.

Also this season for some reason we have played badly at home against the teams lower in the table than us. Maybe we should be focusing on why this is happening.

Comment

As much as i love Ollie he is not known for his managerial nous (IMO) ... Hubble was right in what he said...

It shows a naievety on his part...

An accomplished manager would not have made that mistake .... we are most certainly not outside the relegation battle ..

Comment

The team he picked for Blackburn performed as well as that bunch did yesterday. What is glaringly obvious is we are not good enough to rest starting 11 players.

Comment

Working...
              X