What is it about jimmy floyd??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
    Jimmy lovers? What the hell are you on about? There are a few sensible posts in this thread, but yours isn't one of them. There aren't any 'Jimmy lovers' on this forum, but I suppose in your mind it balances out your rose-tinted view of Ian Holloway. Tarbie makes some excellent points. I suggest you re-read his post. It typifies the fairly balanced views I've read on here in regard to JFH since his departure. It feels to me like you're trying to draw the flak away from Holloway every time you make a post like this.
    Think you're right Hubs, not too many JFH lovers on here and most that had backed him weren't putting up too much of a fight when he went, myself included. But hindsight is 20/20, and I think many are now questioning things other than the Manager having seen things get even worse under Holloway.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
      Totally disagree westy as ollies actually won things as a manager whereas jimmy hasnt hardly done anything, so no comparison in my opinion.
      Yes agree mate but your talking historical records. Willing to give Ollie chance based on last two league games and I have not got on his back after Saturday as it's Cup and not fussed but in my view neither are what we needed long term but Olly is in charge and going nowhere so as long as he don't make any glaring mistakes as he was doing I'm going try hold my tongue. We see how long it lasts
      Last edited by West Acton; 09-01-2017, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Can see him walking this month.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
          Fair post Tarbie and personally I fear for the future of the club. How can you squander 250-300 million in 4-5 years with a record fee of around 8-10 million.
          All on wages wasn't it mate? That period when Phil Beard was writing all the contracts with no prior experience.

This is what frustrates me. If we'd had a proper football man like Lee Hoos in the CEO position from day 1 then things would have been different. Imagine winding the clock back 6 years and spending the same money over again on making lasting improvements to the club? Imagine if we'd taken the money paid to Julio Cesar for his 9 months of service and put that into our scouting system? Or the money that Jose Boswinga had out of us invested in our training facilities? Imagine if we'd only signed properly scouted players with futures, rather than has-beens on the slide sold to our gullible leadership by greedy agents.

The whole situation actually makes me angry!

Comment

Was a circus mate and to be honest with that period is where my gripe with Fernandes as he sanctioned all them deals and was the one who brought in Beard in the first place.

Comment

Was a circus mate and to be honest with that period is where my gripe with Fernandes as he sanctioned all them deals and was the one who brought in Beard in the first place.
              Nothing malicious though was it? Just straight incompetence. Fernandes clearly believed he could buy us success, and to be honest he probably could have if he'd spent wiser. I don't think Southampton have ever had that kind of cash injection but look where they have got themselves off the back of being a well run club.

Now we are left having to deal with all the penny pinching as our shareholders look to slowly recoup some of there losses (apparently).

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                All on wages wasn't it mate? That period when Phil Beard was writing all the contracts with no prior experience.

This is what frustrates me. If we'd had a proper football man like Lee Hoos in the CEO position from day 1 then things would have been different. Imagine winding the clock back 6 years and spending the same money over again on making lasting improvements to the club? Imagine if we'd taken the money paid to Julio Cesar for his 9 months of service and put that into our scouting system? Or the money that Jose Boswinga had out of us invested in our training facilities? Imagine if we'd only signed properly scouted players with futures, rather than has-beens on the slide sold to our gullible leadership by greedy agents.

The whole situation actually makes me angry!
                Not only that! Our strategy to avoid transfer fees and instead pay huge wages was equally big mistake. All those players knew they would never get a better contract anywhere. We all remember what that did to their motivation.

Comment

I am a bit more sceptical about it all as Fernandes is a businessman who has done well in his chosen field but failed miserably twice when involved in a sporting project. Anyone could work out that we could not pay 2 keeper over 140k a week really can't see how Fernandes was that naive to think otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
                    But been said before mrbourne jimmy landed on a club on the up anyway from rowetts earlier work, so hardly all done from scratch by jimmy!
                    If he'd just got them promoted and then kept them comfortable in league 1, you could argue it was Rowett's work. Fact is, not only did he promote them to League 1 with one of the smallest budgets in league 2, but he also had them at the top of league 1 and set up Clough or whomever took over to take them up to where they are now in the Championship.

Not a jimmy lover either and don't know why you called me out in the op but regardless, I think Jimmy had certain resources and knew what he could do with those resources and bought accordingly. Good attacking players don't come cheap, defenders are much more undervalued than strikers and JFH knew that, so bought accordingly. He came in and stuck to his philosophy and knew the limitations of the side he could assemble and stuck to it. The loss of Faurlin was hard to take and I don't think it was the right move, bringing in CW was a big mistake given the style he wanted to play and he made a few other mistakes. But the financial limitations meant that a solid defensive style of play given the talent available was the best option. What's happening now is that a new manager wants to play a different way and so the financial structure and purchases from before are irrelevant because the aim is different on the pitch. All the work done in the last year and a bit is effectively useless and once again we have to start again because the continuity is gone.

Holloway will now have to find top attacking talent to improve the squad using the resources made available to him. But with the money Jimmy had, I'd guarantee you that Holloway wouldn't do half as well as him, because holloway wants good attackers and you don't get those with the budget JFH worked with. If he gets more money than JFH did, we might see success.

TL;DR - Attacking costs more, JFH knew that so bought to defend.
                    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Maybe Pinkie is actually Ollie? I have tried reading his posts in a Bristol accent but still cant be certain

Comment

I am a bit more sceptical about it all as Fernandes is a businessman who has done well in his chosen field but failed miserably twice when involved in a sporting project. Anyone could work out that we could not pay 2 keeper over 140k a week really can't see how Fernandes was that naive to think otherwise.
                        Said it in another post. Fernandes has been successful in turning around a failing airline. He achieved this by heavily reducing costs to provide a product that was cheaper than all of their competitors and leveraging strong relationships with governments in the Far East. To be fair to him, he was immensely successful with Air Asia and made himself a very rich man.

Everything else he's been involved with has flopped, including the 2 sporting ventures that you've mentioned.

Tony is an accountant by trade, and his one major success was off the back of cost cutting and operational improvement to provide a product that was cheaper than anything else on the market. How does any of that qualify you to run a Premier League football team? Very few transferable skills that I can think of!

Comment

Agreed but if his background is accountancy how the #### could he see the figures did not add up.

Comment

Agreed but if his background is accountancy how the #### could he see the figures did not add up.
                            That's the puzzling bit, isn't it? I think he was just very naive and assumed that's just what things cost in football!

Comment

All a bit strange Tarbie as clearly we were paying unsustainable wages and the length of contracts were what killed us. Fernandes was heavily involved in all the big signings early doors so he has to shoulder 90% of the blame. The bit I am puzzled by is why has he now gone into a shell and hid away? Loves a tweet about a manager and also loved a press conference with a new signing so where does he stand now with regards to QPR FC?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                                It's been pretty well documented that Jimmy was not given much backing in the transfer market. Plenty of his targets were knocked back by Les, and likewise, some of Les' targets were knocked back by Lee Hoos. End result, an unbalanced squad.

What Jimmy definitely did wrong was let go of all of our leaders without bringing in players capable of leading and influencing.

As for the style of play, yeah it was rubbish. But with hindsight, I believe Jimmy's tactic was not to give too much away first and foremost. He'd sooner win a game ugly than play expansive football and lose by the odd goal. Really boring for the fans but it was a tactic that I'm sure would have kept us in the division, I'm not sure that we can say the same now (the next few games will tell).

My overwhelming feeling about the last 18 months is, I wonder what might have been if Jimmy was backed as well as previous managers in the transfer market!
                                He would have played them out of position
                                QPR
                                Best team in the world
                                Sort of

Comment

Working...
                                X