Buying Philosophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Philosophy

This is something that has been poignant for us in the last few years with the revolving door policy we've seen for players. On my flight back from Lebanon today, I got back into reading "The Numbers Game" and the particular chapter that stood out to me was a chapter regarding "O-Ring Theory".

Simply put, O-Ring Theory is derived from the Challenger Disaster, where NASA spent millions developing their state of the art space shuttle but the O-Rings (a fairly valueless element relative to everything else), which had frozen overnight prior to launch and thus, leaked burning gas straight onto the fuel tank, causing the separation of the shuttle and the death of all 7 crew members. This single, cheap element caused the death of these people and thus an economic theory was put forward by Michael Kremer which simply states that you're only as good as your weakest link.

This has been proven through statistical analysis by the people involved in producing "The Numbers Game" to have the same effect in football. The calculated that replacing the 11th best player in any with someone 10% better brought about bigger points, goals and shots gains than replacing your best player with someone 10% better.

Ultimately, if you want proof that this theory stands tall, just look at the 2011 Play Off Final between Reading and Swansea. Zurab Khizanishvili, a Reading centre back, who many consider to be at fault for 3 goals that day. Reading didn't play particularly badly in the 4 - 2 defeat, but ultimately, they were outdone by their weakest link.

A team is only as good as it's worst player is something that I personally believe every club should adhere to with regards to transfers. Replace your worst players and work your way up if you need to. You cannot carry a bad player to success, it doesn't work like that in football, look at the Galacticos project as a fine example of that.

Some might see this as being obvious, some might disagree with this approach. But my curiosity with all this is, what sort of transfer policy have we actually adopted? And where should we take it from here?
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

It's not about individuals it's about the team.

Comment

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
      It's not about individuals it's about the team.
      But a team is really only as good as it's worst individual. I mean, as I said, there's statistical evidence to suggest that improving the worst individual brings about a huge improvement in points gained.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Nas... I've always said that and I agree.

Comment

Agree completely, not fully related but I'm a firm believer that you can't build a team around a single player, regardless of how good they are. It may work for a while like with Adel but as soon as they loose form, get injured etc #### hits the fan. A well balanced team is way more unpredictable towards the opposition and one in which there is no weak link like you are saying Nas is perfect. Champion team over a team of champions any day

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
            But a team is really only as good as it's worst individual. I mean, as I said, there's statistical evidence to suggest that improving the worst individual brings about a huge improvement in points gained.
            Sir Alex said that a good team can carry three players. Think he knows something.

Comment

That's why you don't play inexperienced defenders. The other team will target them immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                Sir Alex said that a good team can carry three players. Think he knows something.
                Galacticos tried to carry awful youth team products with Zidane, Figo, Beckham, etc. That failed miserably because they had actual competition and they kept chopping and changing managers.

Sir Alex had consistency and knew how to get that 10% extra from his worst players to get united those extra points. Very few managers can.

Comment

So this leads me to two questions/points here.

1) Can we rank our first 11 subjectively first, I've got the statistical ranking myself, but I wanna see people's individual opinions of our worst players.

2) This whole forcing out good players because they aren't performing as well as they should be (Chery, Luongo, Phillips, Fer, etc), is it really the right way to go? Or should we be looking to work the other way?

Comment

So this leads me to two questions/points here.

1) Can we rank our first 11 subjectively first, I've got the statistical ranking myself, but I wanna see people's individual opinions of our worst players.

2) This whole forcing out good players because they aren't performing as well as they should be (Chery, Luongo, Phillips, Fer, etc), is it really the right way to go? Or should we be looking to work the other way?
                    Nas

I know you have read Soccernomics and so therefore must assume you see the sense in this deal.

We bought a player that did well/badly (depending on your point of view) but we have managed to sell him for his peak price sa a point where both his value and skill set will diminish from here on in. I personally see it as a cracking piece of business particularly bearing in mind he hasn't been able to orchestrate a vital role for himself currently in the team or if he has, it hasn't turned into results.

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
                      Nas

I know you have read Soccernomics and so therefore must assume you see the sense in this deal.

We bought a player that did well/badly (depending on your point of view) but we have managed to sell him for his peak price sa a point where both his value and skill set will diminish from here on in. I personally see it as a cracking piece of business particularly bearing in mind he hasn't been able to orchestrate a vital role for himself currently in the team or if he has, it hasn't turned into results.
                      I think the price makes it better than it actually is. We're still losing one of our most talented players at the end of the day and it would be for sure easier to get results by replacing someone worse.

Comment

Replace your worst player and someone else becomes the weak link.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                          Replace your worst player and someone else becomes the weak link.
                          Exactly, but the weak link is now a better player no?

Lets say you have a team with people running at performance values between 75 and 45 and we get rid of the guy at 45 and replace him with a 55 guy. Our new lowest player is 50 lets say, but overall, the team is now better. You keep building upwards, bringing those 40's, 50's, etc up to 60's, 70's, eventually 80's
                          Last edited by nasser95; 04-01-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I don't think it's that black and white, but you're right to an extent.... You need leaders, quality, and then you need squad players. Obviously if you buy players who just aren't up to it you're on a hiding to nothing.

Problem is the current owners are trying to do it all on the cheap. Rather than build a squad they're punting on cheap players, and at least half of them will struggle at this level. Which in turn makes the decent ones look worse, and the cycle repeats.

IT's been repeated here over the years by many - the problem is we've never had a balanced approach.

Comment

I think the price makes it better than it actually is. We're still losing one of our most talented players at the end of the day and it would be for sure easier to get results by replacing someone worse.
                              I think the real question is could we get done one potentially better and younger for £4 million, I personally think yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X