Massimo Luongo - Lge 1 level footballer? - Signs new contract until 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
    This, he's becoming a victim of the Tom Carroll syndrome, though Mass is much better. He's got a good footballing brain, it needs to be applied.

I watched a match in Australia afew years ago. Harry Kewell was playing for Melbourne Victory. It was astonishing to see how far above the others he was. He'd get the ball and lose it while holding, moving, dribbling just waiting for someone to be available. Off the ball he'd run into logical areas, and press hard, but no one around him knew where he was and where to find him, because they had their heads down, grinding.
    Haha that's the A-League for you.

In fairness the quality of the Australian competition is becoming better. I'd say this seasons Sydney FC (currently top of the table) would be the equivalent of a top half League One team. Impressive considering that (excluding the last 2-3 seasons) the best of the competition throughout it's short history would be the equivalent of relegation battling League Two teams.
    Feed The Massimo And He Will Score

Comment

Decent player.
      Hope he doesn't read this forum with thread titles like that. Great support.

Comment

I'm going through his stats for my mid-season evaluation. Firstly, he's rated as our best players and some of his numbers are very impressive. This thread is - as many other threads in the last few days have been - a scapegoat thread looking for someone to blame. Our most talented player by quite a distance and while his form has been off in recent matches, he's still been better than almost everyone else since Jimmy left.
        Second most successful aerial duel wins per game despite being small, most successful tackles per game, most successful dribbles per game for any centre mid or defensive mid, he's being made a scapegoat because he's not been as good since Ian's come in, but he'll improve with time (same happened when JFH first came in)
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
          Decent player.
          Hope he doesn't read this forum with thread titles like that. Great support.
          Our fans are part of the problem. Good players flop or get slated enough until they're shot of confidence and eventually leave. Been happening for years.
          "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

RJB: More or less agree about the A league. Nasser: Stats are sometimes misleading, I believe in Luongo's case they are. Average Championship player on his better days. Wish we had Mooy, who is class, but Man City loaned him to Huddersfield.

Comment

Originally posted by bushkangaroo View Post
              RJB: More or less agree about the A league. Nasser: Stats are sometimes misleading, I believe in Luongo's case they are. Average Championship player on his better days. Wish we had Mooy, who is class, but Man City loaned him to Huddersfield.
              On his best days, he's above this league, on his days of normal performance, the only players who are close to him at this level are Hourihane and Shelvey and they're all very different types of centre mids. This isn't just coming from stats (it's not the stats that are misleading, it's the eyes), but it's the combination of stats and regular reviewing of footage, both live and post game.
              Mooy may be the better passer, but Luongo's got the movement with the ball, the defensive attributes and the aerial prowess that completely outdo Mooy.
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                On his best days, he's above this league, on his days of normal performance, the only players who are close to him at this level are Hourihane and Shelvey and they're all very different types of centre mids. This isn't just coming from stats (it's not the stats that are misleading, it's the eyes), but it's the combination of stats and regular reviewing of footage, both live and post game.
                Mooy may be the better passer, but Luongo's got the movement with the ball, the defensive attributes and the aerial prowess that completely outdo Mooy.
                Havn’t posted in a while but this thread has got me really worked up as Im a huge fan of the bloke. Hopefully Nas you can support me with this but regardless of what people say and ‘feel’ about him, his +/- relative to the rest of the team is through the roof and is a real indication of his quality as things such as tackling counts can be misleading due to playing styles and general positioning. Thats why I looked at our results with certain players on the pitch. In simple numbers with Mas on the pitch we concede 19.9% less and score 10.19% more than our season average. In fact in the 474 minutes in which he has not been on the pitch we have scored just 3 and conceded 13, or in more ‘crazy’ terms we are conceding 108.4% more and scoring 40.5% less with him not there. So regardless of what you may think you see, the man is a winner relative to the rest of the team and is personally our 2nd most valuable asset behind Smithies.

Also just for some comparative numbers here are a few of the stats for Luongo’s ‘competition’:

Luongo: 474 minutes off pitch, score 40.5% less and concede 108.4% more (+/- 149.02)
                Cousins: 753 minutes off pitch, score 16.6% more and concede 46.2% less (+/- -62.78)
                Borysiuk: 1465 minutes off pitch, score 65.2% more and concede 14.7% more (+/- -50.47)
                Sandro: 1851 minutes off pitch, yet to score with him on pitch and concede 11.3% less (+/- -11.26)
                Henry: 1007 minutes off pitch, score 29.6% less and concede 34.7% less (+/- -5.03)

(obviously limited playing minutes harms these numbers slightly)

Hence he is our only CM that actually has a positive influence on the teams results, and should be earning our praise not our criticism

Comment

I think he's ok. Good feet, tenacity and can play. Not amazing granted but I'd have him over most of our other midfielders.

Comment

My main gripe with him is he don't take enough shots or arrive in the box and add that extra body in their. If he arrived late ala Fat Frank I think his goal stats would massively improve but he seems content to just hang outside the box bit like he's avoiding taking an responsibility. He's slow but I can't knock him for that some players just are

I don't get dislike of him but we all see and want different things from our players but we're better side with him in it and he offers way more then Chery who does deserve criticism

Comment

We are not during the spells he goes missing when you forget he's on the pitch !!
                      Your lst part tho is bang on the money his game is incomplete lack of confidence !! Laziness !! I don't know but he does posses some good qualities

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                        Average league 1, lower champ player IMO. Some make the step up from the likes of Swindon...
                        Isn't this us at the moment though???
                        God I miss cooke's pie & mash

Comment

I'm sure these stats are all sound but when I see him play he is very lightweight and doesn't influence games at all. Also his goal scoring record is shocking for a player in his mold.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
                            I'm sure these stats are all sound but when I see him play he is very lightweight and doesn't influence games at all. Also his goal scoring record is shocking for a player in his mold.
                            Ain't that so. Worse than shocking. No weight in or influence on a game. He so needs to improve. To read the BS about his tacking you'd think he was Ron Harris.

Comment

Our best outfield player in a League 1 squad.

Comment

Mas is the least of our worries.

Comment

Working...
                                X