Careful what you wish for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gtleighsr3 View Post
    no we want some entertaining,some trying,some football know how,and a point or 2 every other game not season.

We want ambition. We buy big and it all goes Pete tong.

We want some young and hungry players, it all goes Pete tong.

We want a young and hunger manager. It all goes Pete tong.

We want attractive attacking football, "anything but Jimmy". It all goes Pete tong.....
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post

We want ambition. We buy big and it all goes Pete tong.

We want some young and hungry players, it all goes Pete tong.

We want a young and hunger manager. It all goes Pete tong.

We want attractive attacking football, "anything but Jimmy". It all goes Pete tong.....
      we want carl cox not pete tong
      Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
        This is a topic I was about to bring up myself actually. The fact is, a fanbase as a general body can be said to have 2 aims for their team: Entertainment and avoiding defeat. If you get one without the other, a fanbase (as a whole) is willing to turn on everything about the club until they get any change.
        A manager's job should be ideally much more simple: Win. A manager should not have to care about how entertaining the side is because ultimately, what (should) get fans more happy than a win?
        This particular fanbase have had one season in god knows how many where they got both entertainment and avoiding defeat and that was the championship winning season. Ever since then, we've had at most one or the other and consistently, the fans have turned on people at the club to get what they want.
        All TF has done is given those loud voices what they wanted. JFH should never have gone but even before him, changes were made that shouldn't have been made but the overall fanbase demanded these changes and when they got them and found they didn't work, all they did was turn on him and demand more change.

People complain about the spending, I remember the start of our first prem season where we lost 4 - 0 at home to Bolton, having spent practically nothing yet and fans were there, screaming for money to be pumped. I remember seeing fans elated at the signing of SWP, Armand Traore, etc when we finally got money in. I also remember fans turning on NW at the end of his stint, I remember them turning on HR when we came up again because he wasn't as entertaining as he should have been, even though we got promoted and got results. It all happened the same way. Fans got one thing but wanted more and demanded change that invariably ended up with us having to take 2 steps back to try again.

An overall fanbase should never dictate the direction of the club. The direction of the club should dictate the fanbase. If fans don't want to stick around, they don't have to. If they don't feel it's the same club anymore, it probably isn't, but not many clubs are the same club they were before. TF has made one big mistake in his time here. He listened too much.
        Well said. Very wise words. I do fear the power of the vox populis as it were. It's easy to get passionate and lose any sense of reason or reality. There was the basis of something there today, honestly not that much between the two sides until the "lucky" breaks went Brightons way. A worldy goal, second scored whilst a man light, harsh sending off game over. However, this sort of thing has become habitual. The team - and the fans - are going out there expecting to lose and we do. Therefore the fans certainly do share a part of the responsibility. Personally, I think we ll be just about ok this season. Two experienced players, well past there prime but up for one last hurrah to steady the ship. Crouch anybody? ( or is that an instruction to self to get my head down to avoid the flack?)

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
          This is a topic I was about to bring up myself actually. The fact is, a fanbase as a general body can be said to have 2 aims for their team: Entertainment and avoiding defeat. If you get one without the other, a fanbase (as a whole) is willing to turn on everything about the club until they get any change.
          A manager's job should be ideally much more simple: Win. A manager should not have to care about how entertaining the side is because ultimately, what (should) get fans more happy than a win?
          This particular fanbase have had one season in god knows how many where they got both entertainment and avoiding defeat and that was the championship winning season. Ever since then, we've had at most one or the other and consistently, the fans have turned on people at the club to get what they want.
          All TF has done is given those loud voices what they wanted. JFH should never have gone but even before him, changes were made that shouldn't have been made but the overall fanbase demanded these changes and when they got them and found they didn't work, all they did was turn on him and demand more change.

People complain about the spending, I remember the start of our first prem season where we lost 4 - 0 at home to Bolton, having spent practically nothing yet and fans were there, screaming for money to be pumped. I remember seeing fans elated at the signing of SWP, Armand Traore, etc when we finally got money in. I also remember fans turning on NW at the end of his stint, I remember them turning on HR when we came up again because he wasn't as entertaining as he should have been, even though we got promoted and got results. It all happened the same way. Fans got one thing but wanted more and demanded change that invariably ended up with us having to take 2 steps back to try again.

An overall fanbase should never dictate the direction of the club. The direction of the club should dictate the fanbase. If fans don't want to stick around, they don't have to. If they don't feel it's the same club anymore, it probably isn't, but not many clubs are the same club they were before. TF has made one big mistake in his time here. He listened too much.
          The last line is spot on

Comment

But listens to the wrong guys
            I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Who did he listen when he appointed Ferdinand?

Comment

One thing you cannot be is a populist in order to run a football club successfully.

Comment

Flavio was a madman but at least there was progress in the end. Whether his influence or not they had a plan. What is ours?

Comment

I had concerns about Hughes before his appointment, I didn't want Warnock out, I didn't want JFH, I didn't want Ramsey, I didn't want Ollie. Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Post Flav the group of people who wanted all of this was in fact the board and specifically the chairman. These errors were compounded by appointing Les. I didn't want him either.

I think TF has got almost every key decision wrong and this is not hindsight.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                      Flavio was a madman but at least there was progress in the end. Whether his influence or not they had a plan. What is ours?
                      i liked them lotto club crest trainers then,smooth bu gger he was
                      Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                        Flavio was a madman but at least there was progress in the end.
                        People forget that. Memories can be very short.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                          I had concerns about Hughes before his appointment, I didn't want Warnock out, I didn't want JFH, I didn't want Ramsey, I didn't want Ollie. Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Post Flav the group of people who wanted all of this was in fact the board and specifically the chairman. These errors were compounded by appointing Les. I didn't want him either.

I think TF has got almost every key decision wrong and this is not hindsight.
                          Obviously don't mean every single individual fan. For example I didn't want Hughes or jimmy sacked as I'm sure there's good managers in there, nor did I want Harry in.

I'm just saying as a collective group the majority, or those who shout loudest, have clearly influenced the board and their decisions.

For the record I would rather the board stick two fingers up at the fans when it comes to managers and signings if it means they have their own vision.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                            Maybe Rodney is right and we are spoilt brats?
                            But we'll still be here long after players, managers, owners and property developments come and go.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
                              But we'll still be here long after players, managers, owners and property developments come and go.
                              Let's all pray and hope our football club will still be here once this lot have moved on.... Look at Caterham.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                                Free beer on Saturday, shall we wish for that?

Comment

Working...
                                X