Rich owners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich owners!

I have to ask the question, however stupid it made sounds. Thus it make sense having a rich owners nowadays? I mean, with FFP in place a club can only spend as much as it generate revenue. So what's the point of having a rich owner if he is not allowed to pay more then the club generate income? In our instance, it made sense when the club were buying players that other clubs in the Championship could not compete for. But that was four, five seasons ago. By spending big, we ended up creating a mountain of debt. Granted that the board somehow managed to cut that debt (I hope so anyway) however, if they are not allowed to spend more then the club generate, and this from their own money, is it worth it to have rich owners? For all it take, the club could be managed by a committee made up from the fans, as was the case many years ago and as it still is the case in small countries were the football is not on a professional basis! And if I am not mistaken, Nottingham Forest used to be run this way back in their glory days.

Rich owners can increase revenue by spending on new grounds, expansion, training centres and youth facilities.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      Rich owners can increase revenue by spending on new grounds, expansion, training centres and youth facilities.
      Could be true, however I've yet to see any of the investment you're mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
        I have to ask the question, however stupid it made sounds. Thus it make sense having a rich owners nowadays? I mean, with FFP in place a club can only spend as much as it generate revenue. So what's the point of having a rich owner if he is not allowed to pay more then the club generate income? In our instance, it made sense when the club were buying players that other clubs in the Championship could not compete for. But that was four, five seasons ago. By spending big, we ended up creating a mountain of debt. Granted that the board somehow managed to cut that debt (I hope so anyway) however, if they are not allowed to spend more then the club generate, and this from their own money, is it worth it to have rich owners? For all it take, the club could be managed by a committee made up from the fans, as was the case many years ago and as it still is the case in small countries were the football is not on a professional basis! And if I am not mistaken, Nottingham Forest used to be run this way back in their glory days.
        Thays why the generally tend to buy clubs with a big fanbase and stadium nowadays, so ffp doesnt affect them.

Comment

Could be true, however I've yet to see any of the investment you're mentioning
          There's been consistent discussion with these things being the aim, it's not as easy as we think to be honest, especially in west london (look at Chelsea's failures to get anywhere with new sites)
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

There's been consistent discussion with these things being the aim, it's not as easy as we think to be honest, especially in west london (look at Chelsea's failures to get anywhere with new sites)
            I know that there ongoing discussion taking place, however all I can remember a rich owner did to the club some time ago was scrapping the academy because it was a financial liability!

Comment

I know that there ongoing discussion taking place, however all I can remember a rich owner did to the club some time ago was scrapping the academy because it was a financial liability!
              ffp increases the value of a quality academy. Current owners know that and are working on it.

Comment

ffp increases the value of a quality academy. Current owners know that and are working on it.
                I know they are, however by the youth teams showing and results, there's not much to look for atm.

Comment

I know they are, however by the youth teams showing and results, there's not much to look for atm.
                  We dont look at youth team results, we look at the players who break into the first team squad. Actually pretty successful in that respect in recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeems View Post
                    We dont look at youth team results, we look at the players who break into the first team squad. Actually pretty successful in that respect in recent times.
                    Were hardly tearing up the trees are we in terms of youth. Lets be realistic here man utd chucked the class of 92 in and they were a one off but success breeds more as a rule. From top to bottom were a shambles yep we found sterling but he was 1st since kevin gallen hardly southampton. God knows what scouting we do but if you want top dollar kids now you gotta give them the facilities.

Realistically we wont get ooc to fruition there so many hurdles to climb if we do great. But realistic were in a fight to stay up so are priorities ccc football next season or league 1. Id rather be at ccc games next yr than league 1 but to progress we need fundamental improvement. Yes that costs so do we improve youth and give better facilities for all and grow slowly but to do that coaching has to be better. Gee we not closed down quick for god knows how long every fan can see were slow with everything. Thats poor coaching and poor player recruitment. At best we wouldnt beat a decent league 1 side at present.

This isnt a short term fix but imo its easier to fix with better gates in ccc than league 1. As finacially i think relegation may be a step to far for TF.

Comment

Working...
                    X