Captain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
    If you do not believe that a captain is not important watch Man Utd v Juve in 1999 when Keane carried them into the final even though he would miss it himself. Tony Adams at Arsenal Steven Gerrard, John Terry, God rest his Alan McDonald was also a brilliant captain so yes a good team is even better with a good captain.
    all leaders on the pitch

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
      all leaders on the pitch
      But surely you don't need an arm band to be leader on the pitch

Comment

i'm sure you don't westie they're called vice captains

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdave View Post
          I'm not onouras biggest fan but there really isn't many other better choice of captain at the club.

The guy gives 100% every week that can't be denied but the way some on here cream themselves over him is cringeworthy.
          And on the flip side others say how utterly useless he is, again IMO over the top.

Like yourself I'm not his biggest fan but he's a half decent player, not the complete flop others on here would have you believe.

Stan - On your point, I considered voting Caulker but don't think he's available enough to warrant a captains armband personally. Ned has a great fitness record.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
            With Matty he's good captain some just chose to ignore that for their own reasons.

Personal view is captains role in modern day football is defunct anyway so who captain is is not big deal. Basically it's to call head or tails before re kick off job done
            Might be a good captain but not good enough to start. Should be lynch and hall as lynch is more vocal and 1 of the centre half's needs to be an organizer
            I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
              Matty your gonna hate me for this Jack Charlton Leeds
              Jack Charlton was only a captain for a few games at Leeds.....gave it up as he was superstitious about being on the pitch last.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
                And on the flip side others say how utterly useless he is, again IMO over the top.

Like yourself I'm not his biggest fan but he's a half decent player, not the complete flop others on here would have you believe.

Stan - On your point, I considered voting Caulker but don't think he's available enough to warrant a captains armband personally. Ned has a great fitness record.
                I was gonna say Caulker too but judging by his fitness and Lynch's recent performances I can't see Caulker starting.
                Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                Pawel Wszolek - 6
                Luke Freeman - 6
                Matt Smith - 6
                Ebere Eze - 4
                Joel Lynch - 3
                Tomer Hemed - 3
                Toni Leistner - 2
                Massimo Luongo- 2
                Angel Rangel - 2
                Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                Geoff Cameron - 1
                Aramide Oteh - 1
                Jake Bidwell - 1
                Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                  Bigsteve and Brian Wilson on a wind up, surely?!
                  Well, you cant fault his attitude...more about the lack of decent candidates I suppose. Lynch is a good shout but has not played too many games yet.

Comment

You could make one of the stewards the captain of the team and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. Captaincy in football, its classic form, is long gone.

Only in Cricket and Rugby Union does the captain have a significant impact on strategy and play.

I mean....... we had Adel as captain FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by maverick69 View Post
                      You could make one of the stewards the captain of the team and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. Captaincy in football, its classic form, is long gone.

Only in Cricket and Rugby Union does the captain have a significant impact on strategy and play.

I mean....... we had Adel as captain FFS!

Comment

Westy, Keane scored a header that gave the others the belief they could win that game and they were 2-0 down at the time so would say he was a huge influence on that team. Especially when you consider the season before they were 10-12 points clear of Arsenal in February and ended up losing the title when he was injured. Good captains can influence teams to improve performance. Gerrard in 2005 in Istanbul and in Cardiff the year after shows that.

Comment

Westy, Keane scored a header that gave the others the belief they could win that game and they were 2-0 down at the time so would say he was a huge influence on that team. Especially when you consider the season before they were 10-12 points clear of Arsenal in February and ended up losing the title when he was injured. Good captains can influence teams to improve performance. Gerrard in 2005 in Istanbul and in Cardiff the year after shows that.
                          So when Man United were 1-0 down in the final, who was the influential captain that pulled Man United back to win 2-1 then?

Comment

Shepherds in that game he was suspended so never played in the final as well you know. My point is good captains improve teams. Adams,Keane, Gerrard, Terry Viera to name a few. Not in 1 game but over the duration of 2-3 seasons or more.

Comment

But did they all do that because they were captains or would they have done it anyway???

Comment

Gerrard scored 2 in Cardiff and dragged them through in Istanbul so would say he was a massive reason they won those games.

Comment

Working...
                                X