No announcement yet.

Captain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ned is probably one of the most well respected players at the club. Other players seem to like him, he's very well educated and well spoken and on the pitch he does his job consistently. Captain is the representative of the club and I see no reason why he shouldn't be that guy.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Bigsteve and Brian Wilson on a wind up, surely?!
      You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
        Matty your gonna hate me for this Jack Charlton Leeds J Terry is a great captain as was Rio at man u Kompany at man city Terry Venables here
        Dave Makay Spurs No mate they could all do more than toss a coin
        But in Derry's case that was Warnock being smart codgoling Adel but everybody else knew who was captain
        anyone saying that you don't need a captain i doubt has played the game to a decent standard , just watch how tony adams used to drive on arsenal or watch the clip of roy keane giving it to viera in the tunnel . a good captain rallies and drives on his team mates he's usually one of the older players that the youngsters can look up to . i played under some good captains in my time blokes i admired on and off the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
          No issue with Ned as captain.

A captain's role is football is so overhyped. All they do is call heads or tails at the coin toss tbh. If a player is a leader on the pitch, whether or not they have an armband on means nothing. Take Shaun Derry for example, was always a leader on that pitch despite not wearing the armband.

Way too much is made of who wears the armband IMO.
          This, along with I don't see any better candidates for the role TBH.

Comment

I didn't vote because I don't think we are doomed, but would vote none of the above. Last season when we had Ali and Clint you could see how they encouraged the players. This season we really don't have anybody like that.

Comment

We don't really have any born leaders in the team but if you have to choose then Caulker for me. He's quite vocal on the pitch, and you sense he's matured as a man since his off-field experience in Sierra Leone. He comes across much better in interviews now.

If we lose Caulker in January then I'd say Joel Lynch as he is also vocal in organising the defence.

3rd choice would be Henry as he also has leadership qualities, and you often see him encouraging the younger players. Shodipo is on record as saying much of his confidence came from KH's support and encouragement. You hear of him going out of his way to help out the youth players too.

Onuoha is just far too quiet to be captain. The only people he shouts at are referees when they get things wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                We don't really have any born leaders in the team but if you have to choose then Caulker for me. He's quite vocal on the pitch, and you sense he's matured as a man since his off-field experience in Sierra Leone. He comes across much better in interviews now.

If we lose Caulker in January then I'd say Joel Lynch as he is also vocal in organising the defence.

3rd choice would be Henry as he also has leadership qualities, and you often see him encouraging the younger players. Shodipo is on record as saying much of his confidence came from KH's support and encouragement. You hear of him going out of his way to help out the youth players too.

Onuoha is just far too quiet to be captain. The only people he shouts at are referees when they get things wrong.
                Agreed with all 3 , I think people that say a captain is unimportant has never seen a true captain a player with leadership qualities and one that can read a game and organize a game on the field
                But as you we don't have anybody that fits the bill just now

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                  anyone saying that you don't need a captain i doubt has played the game to a decent standard , just watch how tony adams used to drive on arsenal or watch the clip of roy keane giving it to viera in the tunnel . a good captain rallies and drives on his team mates he's usually one of the older players that the youngsters can look up to . i played under some good captains in my time blokes i admired on and off the pitch.
                  Rubbish you don't have to wear an armband to lead by example. Sean Derry, Paul Ince, Jaime Carragher etc

Comment

If you do not believe that a captain is not important watch Man Utd v Juve in 1999 when Keane carried them into the final even though he would miss it himself. Tony Adams at Arsenal Steven Gerrard, John Terry, God rest his Alan McDonald was also a brilliant captain so yes a good team is even better with a good captain.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                      If you do not believe that a captain is not important watch Man Utd v Juve in 1999 when Keane carried them into the final even though he would miss it himself. Tony Adams at Arsenal Steven Gerrard, John Terry, God rest his Alan McDonald was also a brilliant captain so yes a good team is even better with a good captain.
                      If Keane was not captaining are we assuming he would not have put that effort or performance in

Comment

I'm not onouras biggest fan but there really isn't many other better choice of captain at the club.

The guy gives 100% every week that can't be denied but the way some on here cream themselves over him is cringeworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                          Rubbish you don't have to wear an armband to lead by example. Sean Derry, Paul Ince, Jaime Carragher etc
                          when did i say that you have to wear an armband to lead by example , paul ince a leader don't make me laugh he was forever whining and whingeing at ref's it was ok for him to kick players but he didn't like it coming back

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                            If you do not believe that a captain is not important watch Man Utd v Juve in 1999 when Keane carried them into the final even though he would miss it himself.
                            Top players can win games on their own, don't need to be a captain to do so....pretty sure Gareth Bale doesnt Captain Real Madrid OR Wales....

Comment

Nothing wrong with Ned as captain IMO. Puts a shift in every time he plays, no one can deny that. If he's injured, give it to Lynch.
                              Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                              Pawel Wszolek - 6
                              Luke Freeman - 6
                              Matt Smith - 6
                              Ebere Eze - 4
                              Joel Lynch - 3
                              Tomer Hemed - 3
                              Toni Leistner - 2
                              Massimo Luongo- 2
                              Angel Rangel - 2
                              Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                              Geoff Cameron - 1
                              Aramide Oteh - 1
                              Jake Bidwell - 1
                              Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                                when did i say that you have to wear an armband to lead by example , paul ince a leader don't make me laugh he was forever whining and whingeing at ref's it was ok for him to kick players but he didn't like it coming back
                                Sit down take a breath relax it was 73 I was conversing with

Comment

Working...
                                X