36 managers since venables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 managers since venables

That's 37 managerial appointments (including caretakers) since 1984, more than a manager a year and we question why the club had no stability.

Practically no clubs have stability in terms of keeping the same manager for a long time with 1 or 2 exceptions. It is one of these phrases that keeps coming up but doesn't mean anything really, stability just means winning matches. I don't want stability with JFH, Ramsey, Hart, Houston etc.

Look at some of the clubs people want us to be like in terms of Southampton and Swansea where is there stability in keeping managers, almost nowhere.

Love to see Barcelona coming in for Ollie in a few years though but unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
      That's 37 managerial appointments (including caretakers) since 1984, more than a manager a year and we question why the club had no stability.
      how many can you name without googling it

Comment

Comment

Think I can do 30
          I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

As there are a few that have been caretaker manager at least once and at least one that was manager for just one game it might be trickier than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Garyd73 View Post
              Practically no clubs have stability in terms of keeping the same manager for a long time with 1 or 2 exceptions. It is one of these phrases that keeps coming up but doesn't mean anything really, stability just means winning matches. I don't want stability with JFH, Ramsey, Hart, Houston etc.

Look at some of the clubs people want us to be like in terms of Southampton and Swansea where is there stability in keeping managers, almost nowhere.

Love to see Barcelona coming in for Ollie in a few years though but unlikely.
              One exception we would have done well to emulate is Burnley. They stuck with Dyche as we could have done with Warnock (no, not another Warnock thread, it just fits) when they went down and had the stability to bounce back - as we may well have done. They didn't spend 250 million or whatever, are now richer than us and in the Prem still. Warnock could have gone upstairs and a young manager come in to a settled club not a basket case. That's proper consolidation and building for the future, not the scatter-gun approach we have adopted.

Comment

probably could have got 20-25 full list I think is something like but may have missed a few , T.Venerbles , G.Jago, A.Mullery, F.Sibley, J.Smith, T.Francis, D.Howe, R.Wilkins, S.Houston, J.Hollins, R.Harford, G.Waddock, J,Gregory, L Di Canio, G.Aisnworth, J.Magilton, P.Souza S.Gallen& M.Bircham, P.Hart, M.Hughes, H.Redknapp, C.Ramsey, JFH, G.Francis x2 I.Dowie x2 N.Warnock x2 I.Holloway x2

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
                  One exception we would have done well to emulate is Burnley. They stuck with Dyche as we could have done with Warnock (no, not another Warnock thread, it just fits) when they went down and had the stability to bounce back - as we may well have done. They didn't spend 250 million or whatever, are now richer than us and in the Prem still. Warnock could have gone upstairs and a young manager come in to a settled club not a basket case. That's proper consolidation and building for the future, not the scatter-gun approach we have adopted.
                  Always an exception, our fans wouldn't tolerate someone getting us relegated every other season and Warnock may well have not taken us straight back up as Dyche did Burnley but take your point.

Comment

Originally posted by Garyd73 View Post
                    Always an exception, our fans wouldn't tolerate someone getting us relegated every other season and Warnock may well have not taken us straight back up as Dyche did Burnley but take your point.

Although Burnley are doing ok due to their home form, there is still a possibility they could go down this season. Against Stoke on Saturday they weren't in the same league.

Comment

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
                      Although Burnley are doing ok due to their home form, there is still a possibility they could go down this season. Against Stoke on Saturday they weren't in the same league.
                      Some fans want stability and build slowly and think that is the way to establish ourselves in the Premier League. Not in a million years is that realistic. Four-five seasons is a maximum if we are lucky.

Comment

The team that amazes me at the moment is Watford, they do everything wrong or what is supposedly wrong, change there manager every season even if they have been successful, chairman buys the players and yet as of now there still doing well looking like a stable prem league club

Comment

Originally posted by winalotto View Post
                          The team that amazes me at the moment is Watford, they do everything wrong or what is supposedly wrong, change there manager every season even if they have been successful, chairman buys the players and yet as of now there still doing well looking like a stable prem league club
                          It's because they have a first rate scouting system. One which Ollie seeks to emulate with QPR in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                            It's because they have a first rate scouting system. One which Ollie seeks to emulate with QPR in fact.
                            Really is that so? Take your point our scouting system could be better but Watford had one of the best academies in London and surrounding areas until the Pozzo family took charge , the players they bring in now aren't scouted by wonderful scouts working for Watford there mainly players known to the regime of the clubs and scouts that work for there clubs in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by winalotto View Post
                              Really is that so? Take your point our scouting system could be better but Watford had one of the best academies in London and surrounding areas until the Pozzo family took charge , the players they bring in now aren't scouted by wonderful scouts working for Watford there mainly players known to the regime of the clubs and scouts that work for there clubs in Europe.
                              Just remember Ollie mentioning this at the recent meeting with the fan sites. He spoke very highly about their scouting set up and that he'd love to emulate something similar with us. He puts much of Watford's recent success down to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X