Those who have left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those who have left

Everyone knows that we're relatively poor ability wise these days. We're the victims of a very reactionary fiscal policy which may well prove counter productive. What's interesting is how players we have deemed surplus to requirements in the TF era have fared in a functional set up. The latest is Matty Phillips. WBA now 6th, that won't last, but it is a hell of an achievement and he looks different class to his days here, MoM yesterday. Normally a decent player shines out among the dross but we've had a few who looked OK for us but who have improved notably elsewhere at a higher level..... that's a bit worrying.

Pullis has done a brilliant job at WBA, I remember getting stick for wanting him here but the truth is he's different class to anyone we've had recently. Sane, sussed and a lot less defensive minded than his critics might suggest. In terms of managers who have left, we have to say Hughes has done OK. We messed up by giving him the keys to the mint, and he isn't a markets manager. He sensibly hasn't been given that option at Stoke and the results are there for all to see.

Who else has left us (on or off the park) to better themselves elsewhere since TF took over? I can think of one or two others.....

Most fans wanted Pulis out last year now he's flavour of the month, it's Slaven Bilic time now or Alan Pardew couple of weeks time it will be back to David Moyes , as for Phillips clearly playing with better players in a squad that is full of confidence helps , used to look uninterested sometimes playing for us.
    It's a bit harsh to say players bettering themselves when most wanted to leave or had to be sold because of the financial implications

Comment

I don't regret us selling Phillips. Frustrating player. Clearly talented as proving now, showing just how frustrating he was for us.

Comment

We don't half miss Phillips

Comment

Phillips..premiership player when he wants to be.

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
            Phillips..premiership player when he wants to be.
            He was brought to Blackpool by Olly, so maybe he would have stayed here if he was in charge earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by winalotto View Post
              Most fans wanted Pulis out last year now he's flavour of the month, it's Slaven Bilic time now
              I rated both when we were looking for managers at different times and both were out of work. West Ham are suffering from a number of problems, notably the curse of the New Stadium despite the taxpayer taking a hit. Nothing like the Boleyn atmos wise. There maybe a lesson there somewhere......

Comment

phillips never wanted to be involved , drifted in and out of the play and didn't really want to be here

Comment

Phillips was always class it's just that people always want more from the people they see as the best. No matter how good your best player does, unless he's Austin or Taarabt, people always want more. Phillips and Fer are two players who played with absolute class here and performed very well and made a difference, and a lot of fans still wanted more, to the point that they booed them whenever they touched the ball on the pitch. I'm sitting in the stands and hearing ridiculous abuse aimed at two great players and I'm wondering what some fans want? Fer didn't look like he ran much, but he did and he was classy af on the ball. Still not enough for some. Same for Phillips, people didn't like that he didn't cover defensively ffs when he was getting goals and assists regularly and was better than anything we had.
                  "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

phillips did nothing here , lazy , didn't want to move and didn't try very hard , fer played that well , i've already forgotten him

Comment

Got relegated with Fer and Phillips... I'm sure if they were 'Class' we would've done a lot better.
                      C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Being sensible it was a good decision to sell him. He was never "surplus to requirements".

Comment

Originally posted by upperloft View Post
                          Got relegated with Fer and Phillips... I'm sure if they were 'Class' we would've done a lot better.
                          well said my man

Comment

Originally posted by upperloft View Post
                            Got relegated with Charlie Austin too, must not have been a class player.
                            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                              Got relegated with Charlie Austin too, must not have been a class player.
                              You're right Nas, probably not class. But always gave his all for Rangers.. and backed it up with goals. Can't say the same for Fer and Phillips.
                              C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Working...
                              X