How good was Paul Parker - discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did have some real quality a few years back in defence
    I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

fantastic leap and could read the game. I've always thought naming my greatest ever QPR 11, I couldn't look further than the boys of 76 who nearly pulled off the impossible. That said Parker, Wilson and Sir Les were good enough to be in that team
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

One of the best defenders in the country in the late 80's early 90's and that was when England had a real selection of quality defenders.

Comment

How good was Paul Parker? Very good, but not as good as his brother Peter.

Could run much faster and jump much higher!!

Comment

One of the very best we have had over the last 30 years that's for sure, great leap on him for such a tiny bloke in comparison to some forwards and really quick across the ground. Can still picture his only goal for us at home to Luton when I think we won by 5 or 6. Also played the ball into Lineker to score the equalizer in the WC semi final, remember him being sent off against Man City at home which stopped him playing for England the following week.

Was the first play that I was truly gutted to see leave but knew he was too good to stay with us and pleased he won the league with Utd, just not pleased they won it.

Comment

Parker was absolute class, reliable, quick, good in the challenge our defenders were absolute quality back then and didn't really get the recognition they deserved. wasn't Maddix a free from Spurs? good times

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdave View Post
                I would of had that the other way round.

Don't seem to remember him playing right back for us too often or centre half for United
                That's age for you... I get confused these days

Comment

Those were the days. We had some great defenders and Parker along with Maddix, McDonald, Bardsley and slightly later Wilson were all quality. Parker is about 5ft 5 and he used to beat 6ft plus forwards in the air regularly!

We had some dross in the 80's as well though. Who remembers the right back, Chivers? He used to control the ball then jog backwards 4-5 yards to give himself a run up to kick the ball long..... The amount of times he had the ball taken by the oppo winger as I looked on as nipper in the paddocks I will never forget!

Fereday was rapid on the wing who remembers him? John Byrne on his day was a bit like Adel....

Comment

He had that hanging in the air thing, sounds ridiculous to compare them but watch Cristiano R get off the ground and stay up, if you never saw PP that's what he did. He had to, he gave inches away (which sounds wrong but you know what I mean).

Comment

Originally posted by jfish View Post
                      Great times watching Parker, he was the master of the sliding tackle from behind.
                      No that was Mark Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
                        That's age for you... I get confused these days
                        Ha ha don't worry mate happens to us all

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          Those were the days. We had some great defenders and Parker along with Maddix, McDonald, Bardsley and slightly later Wilson were all quality. Parker is about 5ft 5 and he used to beat 6ft plus forwards in the air regularly!

We had some dross in the 80's as well though. Who remembers the right back, Chivers? He used to control the ball then jog backwards 4-5 yards to give himself a run up to kick the ball long..... The amount of times he had the ball taken by the oppo winger as I looked on as nipper in the paddocks I will never forget!

Fereday was rapid on the wing who remembers him? John Byrne on his day was a bit like Adel....
                          John Byrne was superb, him and Bannister up front were a right handful on their day.

Met him at Greenford station once as a kid, he chatted to me and my mate about Rangers until his train came, real nice bloke.

Comment

Working...
                          X