Nick Blackwell sparred agajn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Blackwell sparred agajn

Seriously?! After how close he came to death he got back in the ring sparring.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/38124538

Absolute insanity.

Hope he is made to pay for any treatment he gets.

Comment

I know getting in the ring and sparring seems completely insane to 99.9% of people. Although I've never been in the ring myself, I do know quite a few people who have, including a number of ex-pros who fought for and won titles. Fighters are a different breed and to many, boxing is all they've ever known. Many carry on when they're well past their prime and take unnecessary punishment because they can't replace the buzz they feel when they're in the ring going toe to toe. Many, not all, are also not well educated and there are only so many who have earned enough to be financially secure.
      I don't know how to post links but You tube Vinny Paz, who was told he'd probably never walk again after breaking his neck in a car crash when he was a world champion. Wouldn't accept what the doctors said and went on to win two more world titles. They've made a film about his life called 'Bleed for this'

Comment

Originally posted by UpperP View Post
        I know getting in the ring and sparring seems completely insane to 99.9% of people. Although I've never been in the ring myself, I do know quite a few people who have, including a number of ex-pros who fought for and won titles. Fighters are a different breed and to many, boxing is all they've ever known. Many carry on when they're well past their prime and take unnecessary punishment because they can't replace the buzz they feel when they're in the ring going toe to toe. Many, not all, are also not well educated and there are only so many who have earned enough to be financially secure.
        I don't know how to post links but You tube Vinny Paz, who was told he'd probably never walk again after breaking his neck in a car crash when he was a world champion. Wouldn't accept what the doctors said and went on to win two more world titles. They've made a film about his life called 'Bleed for this'
        Looking forward to seeing that film upper, your right boxing is addictive once mastered but most understand when it's right to hang up the gloves. Bruno went well off the rails similar to a gazza, love the sport but Blackwell sparring again will help his mental health . The boxers he's sparring with will be helping him by going easy . Brave man good luck to him!
        Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

He had to have more surgery after the one sparring session he took part in so they didn't go easy. Whilst I can understand the addiction (never personally in regards to boxing but other pursuits). I can understand why, I do hope this is the last time. I imagine he must have wanted to see if he could.take it, if he was healed? And clearly he isn't and is extremely fragile. The Vinnie Paz story is fascinating, thanks for sharing that and he did incredibly to come back. I guess each injury is different and heals differently, Blackwell hasn't exactly given it much time tbh. I wonder if he will stay in boxing as a trainer or bringing young through or if the temptation will overtake him or if it will be too much to watch others and not be able to box himself.
          Sad story, for sure and as you say Van I think when they stop , mental health problems can often arise. I imagine even worse when you are made to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by vanhoop View Post
            Looking forward to seeing that film upper, your right boxing is addictive once mastered but most understand when it's right to hang up the gloves. Bruno went well off the rails similar to a gazza, love the sport but Blackwell sparring again will help his mental health . The boxers he's sparring with will be helping him by going easy . Brave man good luck to him!
            Have you seen the film about Roberto Duran's life 'Hands of Stone' yet Van? Decent watch,

Comment

Working...
            X