Tactical Ingenuity is Back!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Ingenuity is Back!!!

Ollie worked as hard as the players Saturday. Great tactical design at the beginning, then adjustments as they moved downstream. Have not been pumped up about QPR for some time; Ollie is a breath of fresh air after a long period of suffocating mediocrity.

One question. The announcers said we played the whole game with three in the back. Can someone explain to me what our setup was, and who played in what position in that setup?

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
    Ollie worked as hard as the players Saturday. Great tactical design at the beginning, then adjustments as they moved downstream. Have not been pumped up about QPR for some time; Ollie is a breath of fresh air after a long period of suffocating mediocrity.

One question. The announcers said we played the whole game with three in the back. Can someone explain to me what our setup was, and who played in what position in that setup?
    Started 3 at the back. Once Their man got sent off, we stuck to it for a bit before pushing Hall into CM, pushing CW and Chery slightly wider and pushing Luongo up into a more attacking role. At half time, took off robinson, brought Hall back to cb, Lynch to LB in a more traditional 4atb with Sandro and Cousins in CM, Luongo cam, Washington and Chery wide and Polter up front. Then brought on Shodipo for Luongo, pushing washington back into the middle.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post

Started well for sure but lets face it, for the last half hour we were by and large outplayed by 10 men.
      Not quite the tactical genius yet.

But hopefully a work in progress.

Comment

Thanks so much, Nas, for the explanation!

Comment

Thought the luongo substitution was anything but clever tactically but overall good to see the spirit and enjoyment back.

Comment

Washington wasn't wide. He was up in a two whatever other changes were made. Whoever was left back was pushed up and Chery was on the right until Shodipo came on and they eventually switched wings.
            Last edited by Rangers77; 21-11-2016, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
              Started etc...
              In other words he reacted to events on the park and the players available to him i.e. what a manager is supposed to do.

His default is 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 which happens to suit us. What didn't suit us was blind faith in 4-2-3-1. Fit the set up to the squad and not the other way round......

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                In other words he reacted to events on the park and the players available to him i.e. what a manager is supposed to do.

His default is 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 which happens to suit us. What didn't suit us was blind faith in 4-2-3-1. Fit the set up to the squad and not the other way round......
                You do realise that 451/433/4231 are all the same structure with different line heights, right? Obviously I agree that we needed more tactical fluidity in game, but don't criticise JFH's starting formation, criticise his inability to change it mid game.
                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by rodman View Post
                  Started well for sure but lets face it, for the last half hour we were by and large outplayed by 10 men.

Agree totally, hardly a tactical genius took Luongo off when him & Sandro, were bossing the game and the tactic that we got so deep (which is what he done the last time he was here in games) inviting them on to us and had us hanging on should've been able to do something to stop their onslaught in the last 15 mins, they only had ten ,didn't seem to get to grips with that

Comment

Obviously I agree that we needed more tactical fluidity in game, but don't criticise JFH's starting formation, criticise his inability to change it mid game.
                    I see. So it's fine to criticise JFH now he's gone, but never whilst he was the manager. Any more goalposts to shift while were at it?

Comment

Originally posted by rodman View Post

Thought the tactics were fine but agree that we should never have let them get close to a sniff of snatching a point. Encouraging signs of things to come though.

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
                        Agree totally, hardly a tactical genius took Luongo off when him & Sandro, were bossing the game and the tactic that we got so deep (which is what he done the last time he was here in games) inviting them on to us and had us hanging on should've been able to do something to stop their onslaught in the last 15 mins, they only had ten ,didn't seem to get to grips with that
                        The same Luongo who wasnt fully fit and missed his countries international games a few days before?

Comment

but don't criticise JFH's starting formation, criticise his inability to change it mid game.
                          Criticism for both is totally admissible. What you don't understand or can not grasp is that a core tactical belief system is redundant. Conte is an outstanding example of someone who not only reacts to events on the park, he looks at his squad and changes things around on the basis of who is available and who they are due to play. I pointed all this out to you during the Euros. Stop defending the indefensible.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                            Conte is an outstanding example of someone who not only reacts to events on the park, he looks at his squad and changes things around on the basis of who is available and who they are due to play.
                            Hasn't he kept the exact same side for the last 6 games ?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post

I see. So it's fine to criticise JFH now he's gone, but never whilst he was the manager. Any more goalposts to shift while were at it?
                              Hahahahaha thinking exactly the same. Embarrassing.

Comment

Working...
                              X