Our Best XI since TF took over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Best XI since TF took over

Right, so I've just finished a big assignment at uni which means I can focus a bit more on the football. It's brought me all the way back to the beginning of this journey we've been on under TF. I wanted to know your opinions on our best team since he's taken over, any formation that comes across remotely logical can be used. Hit me with them. I'll give my personal opinion on what I think is my best team later on, but until then, I've done a sh itton of research into our best players in each position and without going into much detail (if people want individual details, I'll give them on request) here is the list of our best players in each position in the last 5 and a bit years.

GK - Smithies
    RB - Mauricio Isla (Simpson is so close and I'm tempted to give him the nod because he played significantly more minutes)
    CB - Nedum Onuoha
    LB - Clint Hill
    CM/CDM - Massimo Luongo
    LM/LW - Leroy Fer
    RM/RW - Andros Townsend
    CAM - Adel Taarabt
    ST - Heidar Helguson

And just to break it down even further, here's the actual statistical best XI overall, played in a 3511:
    Alex Smithies (6.772)
    Nedum Onuoha (7.191); Richard Dunne (7.187); Steven Caulker (7.143)
    Massimo Luongo (7.495); Joey Barton (7.246) Alejandro Faurlin (7.155)
    Andros Townsend (7.25); Adel Taarabt (7.407); Leroy Fer (7.455)
    Heidar Helguson (7.4)

Give me your opinions on this odd side and on your best XI and note that this team isn't my opinion but is the whoscored.com weighted average best XI that I calculated for the last 5 years.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Green
    Simpson Dunne Nelsen Taiwo
    Townsend Barton Faurlin Taarabt
    Austin Remy

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post
      Green
      Simpson Dunne Nelsen Taiwo
      Townsend Barton Faurlin Taarabt
      Austin Remy
      Ryan Nelsen would actually be in the statistical side over Caulker if he accumulated more minutes. I took the average of everyone's minutes played in the position and anyone below it was excluded. Hence why I was forced to leave out some incredible names like Modibo Maiga, Will Keane, Kiko Macheda, Jermaine Jenas, Tal Ben Haim and Kieron Dyer
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

^Incredible names?

Cesar
        Isla Dunne Nelsen Taiwo
        Granero Faurlin Fer
        Vargas Remy Taarabt

Honourable mentions to Austin, Cisse, Hill, Kranjcar, Ravel. Derry did alright too, all things considered.

Mbia, Sando & Diakite showed flashes of brilliance but stopped caring and/or lost it (but come to think of it, most our players did/have).

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
          Right, so I've just finished a big assignment at uni which means I can focus a bit more on the football. It's brought me all the way back to the beginning of this journey we've been on under TF. I wanted to know your opinions on our best team since he's taken over, any formation that comes across remotely logical can be used. Hit me with them. I'll give my personal opinion on what I think is my best team later on, but until then, I've done a sh itton of research into our besut players in each position and without going into much detail (if people want individual details, I'll give them on request) here is the list of our best players in each position in the last 5 and a bit years.

GK - Smithies
          RB - Mauricio Isla (Simpson is so close and I'm tempted to give him the nod because he played significantly more minutes)
          CB - Nedum Onuoha
          LB - Clint Hill
          CM/CDM - Massimo Luongo
          LM/LW - Leroy Fer
          RM/RW - Andros Townsend
          CAM - Adel Taarabt
          ST - Heidar Helguson

And just to break it down even further, here's the actual statistical best XI overall, played in a 3511:
          Alex Smithies (6.772)
          Nedum Onuoha (7.191); Richard Dunne (7.187); Steven Caulker (7.143)
          Massimo Luongo (7.495); Joey Barton (7.246) Alejandro Faurlin (7.155)
          Andros Townsend (7.25); Adel Taarabt (7.407); Leroy Fer (7.455)
          Heidar Helguson (7.4)

Give me your opinions on this odd side and on your best XI and note that this team isn't my opinion but is the whoscored.com weighted average best XI that I calculated for the last 5 years.
          Would Onoura be your captain by any chance?

Comment

Why only 9 players?

Comment

About right Norths. Still miss Dunney in our back line.

Comment

Cesar
                Simpson Dunne Nelson Hill
                Phillips Faurlin Barton Townsend
                Adel
                Remy
                Smithies Austin Fer Isla Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by 1cliveallen View Post
                  Why only 9 players?
                  That is what I was wondering, or could it be they were so good we'd only need 9?
                  I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Especially seeing as Ned was the sole centre half.

Comment

Going by names / reputations we could field a hell of a side. Something like:

Cesar
                      Isla Samba Caulker Taiwo
                      SWP Granero Fer Towsend
                      Vargas Remy

In reality, and going on how they've actually done for us, I would go something like this off the top of my head:

Green (barring his last half season which was pony)
                      Isla Nelson Dunne Hill (he was a CB but I need to fit him in somehow ).
                      Vargas Taarabt Barton Towsend
                      Austin Remy (minimal minutes but what a player)

EDIT: How the fark did I forget Charlie !
                      Last edited by MattyRangers; 16-11-2016, 08:39 AM.
                      You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                        About right Norths. Still miss Dunney in our back line.
                        Me too

Comment

And one of the few we paid #### all for and got blinding value. He made those around him look good and would loved to have had him earlier in his career.

Comment

A real pointless thread if ever this because we all know that most of the players that have been here over the last 4 years have been good players just for whatever reason they never came good , here's an excellent player we had that never came good Estaban or whatever vargos another nobody could doubt they had ability along with most ,just bought without any plan just an attitude throw them all together and it will play as team , where in reality the ones least expected to do well did consistently ie Townsend Nelson , it's been this fire sale attitude toward signing player's T F had a bum deal when he first took over due to the dwarf and Briatori's attitude not allowing Warnock not bring any body in hence the fire sale approach that unfortunately is still going on , a reason I can't heap all the blame on JFH for present plight , Smithies apart over the last 2 years have we made what anybody would be brave enough to say he or they are really good players , and Ollie has the task of identifying his first eleven and sticking to it meaning stop this b@ llox of rotating the team at every cup opportunity change for reason of injuries or loss of form make those out of the team earn a place not just give them a game because it's a cup game
                            Last edited by dogsrrs; 16-11-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

In performance ...

Smithies
                              LB - hill
                              Cb - dunne
                              Cb - hall
                              Rb - danny simpson

Lw - hoilett
                              Cm - barton
                              Cm - faurlin
                              Rw - townsend

St - austin
                              St - remy

Couldnt think of many other players that have actually played well for us since uncle tony came in

Comment

Working...
                              X