Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A cynical ploy, a matter of expediency or a masterstroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were running the club would we be where we are?

Comment

The owners are taking the pi$$

Comment

Personally I naively play and follow sport to win. Sadly carpetbaggers and 'investors' .....use.

Comment

We are being rogered.

Comment

I like it that' to roger' is not seen as a swear word. Roger Roger Roger Roger Roger Roger Roger Roger Roger Roger !!!!

Comment

Great appointment by the club. FInancially, sentimentally and in terms of geting a manager with a proven record of getting teams promoted from this league on small budgets. CV speaks for itself and this appointment is no where near as bad as some have made out.

Passionate about the club and wants to play good attacking football. Get behind the bloke and lets see what he can do.

Comment

Glad someone else sees the OOC project as the reason for Fernandes to be still knocking around.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                  When Olly's name came into the frame a few days ago, some people were asking whether it was pure expediency on the part of the club, given the new budgetary restrictions in place. Whilst names like Rowett, Sherwood and Clement were being discussed as genuine contenders, perhaps they were never even in the frame. With CEO Lee Hoos overseeing things with a tight rein, the names of those actually interviewed - Karl Robinson and Dougie Freedman - represented a more realistic standard.

But even so, Olly seemed like a wild card. A random choice. Perhaps it was even a cynical ploy in a desperate attempt to win back the fans, people asked. Harking back to bygone glory days when the club was united as a tribe and Loftus Road was our cave.

But if you combine those two factors - financial expediency and someone who could really lift the fans and steer this club out of the doldrums - then really only one name fits the bill: Ian Holloway.

It's a risk. All of us who watched QPR during Olly's first tenure know that. But then any appointment is a risk. But if Olly can galvanise this club and this group of players to raise their game, then something magical can happen - the sum can become greater than the parts. Perhaps returning to our cave mentality is what we need. We have been swanning it after our recent forays into the premiership, but at the same time, we've lost our soul. It was tribalism and bonding along with hard-nosed pragmatism and no shortage of skill that got us promoted under Neil Warnock. Today we really only have the former two factors available. This squad has nothing like the class or steel of that 2010/11 squad. So we will have to rely on Olly's magic. And if, IF, that starts to bring a return, not just in improved performances but also a buzzing crowd, then maybe the board will be persuaded to dip into their pockets in January, and certainly at the end of the season; and then Olly might have a chance of performing yet another apparent minor miracle, and lead a small club back to the top flight. In which case, his appointment will be seen as a masterstroke. It could happen. Or it could all end in tears. But the rollercoaster ride is about to begin again. Hold on to your hats.
                  Yep. I'm in. Fella deserves a chance and support.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                    Yep. I'm in. Fella deserves a chance and support.
                    Me too

Comment

Originally posted by jfish View Post
                      Me too
                      This. Ian Holloway's Blue and White Army!!!

Comment

Good thread. The interview has made me more comfortable with this appointment. I will definitely back him as he clearly loves the club.

Comment

Got to back the guy, or not bother supporting the club.
                          I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Well whilst I am still sceptical, if anyone can prove us doubters wrong then it is Olly. I certainly feel far more positive after watching that interview and he clearly believes he is the man for the job. Was flat yesterday but just perhaps I was wrong to feel disappointed on this occasion. Good luck Olly I really hope you make a success of it and if anyone can you can. Great post Hubble

Comment

I can't believe it's a cynical ploy, the board surely aren't that detached from the fans.
                              People are already sticking the knife in and if we don't see an upturn on the pitch it will very quickly turn against les and co.
                              I'd say the club are hedging their bets. If it works out it will be an absolute master stroke. Success in the pitch combined with a "we have our rangers back" feel amongst the fans, and a madcap manager giving us post match entertainment to boot.
                              If it doesn't work out ? Another sacking and at that point there might be a few more options out there. By that I mean realistic ones, not the coach of Bayern Munich or a manager of a club 9 places above us whose seemingly about to receive a ####ing great war chest to improve his squad.
                              Paradoxically, if it was intended as a cynical ploy or a money saving excercise, it could still morph into a master stroke.
                              “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
                              Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
                                Paradoxically, if it was intended as a cynical ploy or a money saving excercise, it could still morph into a master stroke.
                                Let's hope so.

Comment

Working...
                                X