Looks like there will be no 'hard Brexit'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
    So, a couple of months on and things appear to be proceeding according to the expected timescale. How are we all feeling about this?

Personally, I find it encouraging. I also thought that the signals from both Juncker and Tusk are starting to sound far more conciliatory than we have been used to in the past, which can only be a good thing.

I thought that the PM's letter was well and sensibly worded, despite hearing complaints by some of the usual suspects about us possibly using the issue surrounding security as a threat. Funny how it was never seen as a threat by the Remain side when they were telling us how less safe we would all be once we are out of the EU. Slight case of double standards, but not the only one.

Still having trouble getting my head around those who still haven't grasped reality. Heard a German doctor on the radio yesterday evening suggesting that his future is now uncertain, despite him having lived and worked here for the last 27 years. I can't begin to imagine what goes on in the minds of some people.

The Great Repeal Bill is a fantastic opportunity for us to, over time, choose to keep many of the really good things the EU have been responsible for whilst at the same time losing those that don't really work well for us.

Hopefully the eventual outcome to this forty odd year farce is something along the lines of why we joined the common market in the first place, before us and many other countries were hoodwinked and lied to about the true agenda.
    that vote to join the Common Market was the first vote I was old enough to vote in. I voted No to joining and voted Leave also. This is a fantastic Country. We'll be fine
    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
    This morning's tempest I have to cross
    I must be guided without a stumble
    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

So, a couple of months on and things appear to be proceeding according to the expected timescale. How are we all feeling about this?

Personally, I find it encouraging. I also thought that the signals from both Juncker and Tusk are starting to sound far more conciliatory than we have been used to in the past, which can only be a good thing.

I thought that the PM's letter was well and sensibly worded, despite hearing complaints by some of the usual suspects about us possibly using the issue surrounding security as a threat. Funny how it was never seen as a threat by the Remain side when they were telling us how less safe we would all be once we are out of the EU. Slight case of double standards, but not the only one.

Still having trouble getting my head around those who still haven't grasped reality. Heard a German doctor on the radio yesterday evening suggesting that his future is now uncertain, despite him having lived and worked here for the last 27 years. I can't begin to imagine what goes on in the minds of some people.

The Great Repeal Bill is a fantastic opportunity for us to, over time, choose to keep many of the really good things the EU have been responsible for whilst at the same time losing those that don't really work well for us.

Hopefully the eventual outcome to this forty odd year farce is something along the lines of why we joined the common market in the first place, before us and many other countries were hoodwinked and lied to about the true agenda.
      I agree with you Brights and I think David Davis is a good person to have steering this - I always liked him, which is rare for me - liking a Tory! It's also fairly enjoyable reading and seeing the hysteria among many of the die-hard remainers - like an article in The Guardian titled "There's no going back – May has burned the boats of a divided nation" - honestly, whatever your views on this - this desperate negativism is pathetic and counterproductive.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
        I agree with you Brights and I think David Davis is a good person to have steering this - I always liked him, which is rare for me - liking a Tory! It's also fairly enjoyable reading and seeing the hysteria among many of the die-hard remainers - like an article in The Guardian titled "There's no going back – May has burned the boats of a divided nation" - honestly, whatever your views on this - this desperate negativism is pathetic and counterproductive.
        Hubs, I'm so glad you feel this way now.

I am almost beside myself with despair as to how some of these types are still carrying on. For crying out loud, all we are doing is leaving a political union that we were never happy to be in from day one. I know of nobody who is anti-European, doesn't wish the best to any European nation or thinks any EU national living legally in the UK should be sent packing.

I was listening to a Polish nurse on the radio earlier who just like some politicians, was complaining that assurances that EU nationals will be more than welcome to stay were not enough and that "actual guarantees" should be made. Clearly, our government being in a position to have made that guarantee already would have been much better, but why do these people blame our government, as opposed to Germany and France, the only two governments among the other 27 that have refused to negotiate and have this all sorted by now.

As you rightly point out, the hysteria and negativity is truly astonishing. There are serious issues that need sorting out and yet you still have people insisting on protesting, when they haven't a clue.

I have to say, the most disgraceful episode over the last week was when the likes of Farron, Clegg, Campbell etc spoke at a demonstration which the police had specifically advised against due to the horror of what occured a few days before.

Comment

Brights, they actually dumped all their pro EU placards on the flowers layed as a tribute to the poor police officer killed in the terrorist attack
          I must away now, I can no longer tarry
          This morning's tempest I have to cross
          I must be guided without a stumble
          Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
            Brights, they actually dumped all their pro EU placards on the flowers layed as a tribute to the poor police officer killed in the terrorist attack
            Saw the video mate, link below. Disgusting, but not at all surprising considering how self-obsessed these types are.

https://youtu.be/JmodqJhKtOg

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
              Saw the video mate, link below. Disgusting, but not at all surprising considering how self-obsessed these types are.

https://youtu.be/JmodqJhKtOg
              Sounds again like the work of these moronic so-called 'Social Justice Warriors'. The truth is they are anything but. They're nothing but agent provocateurs who only succeed in making matters worse and causing greater division.

Comment

Meanwhile, back to important issues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39444432

Comment

Working...
                X