No announcement yet.

Meritocracy or Positive Discrimination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meritocracy or Positive Discrimination?

Which system is fairer when shortlisting a football manager?

Or even the third option (to keep the poll topical)?

Please vote.
    Meritocracy
    85.19%
    Positive Discrimination
    7.41%
    Favouritism
    7.41%

Really not being funny, amd im embarrassed to admit this but i haven't got a single clue what this means.
    Could you explain it in simple terms to a dimlo like me please.

Comment

Bit of a silly poll Stan! Who's going to vote for positive discrimination, which is basically another form of discrimination? Of course my guess is this is politically motivated, but aren't the denizens of WATRB whipped into enough of a frenzy already, what with old men posing as kids on buses and Jimmy Floyd Hassleplank's bizarre selections?! What's the point of stirring it up even more? (Think you're a great poster though, just find this one a bit odd mate)

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
        Who's going to vote for positive discrimination
        Someone in favour of Rooney Rule, for example. Plenty of people are, otherwise why would it have achieved the status it has in the sporting world.

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
        Bit of a silly poll Stan!
        In your opinion of course. But guess what? I disagree, otherwise I'd never have posted it. It's a genuine football/QPR related question which I'm interested in canvassing opinion. If you don't believe that, that's your issue.

Comment

Surely there is only one way this poll can go (once we check the three definitions in the dictionary)
          EDIT: I think if I created this poll I would be accused of trolling
          Last edited by Kirill; 03-11-2016, 01:27 PM.
          Banning people is no longer my hobby,
          but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
          http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Probably the most obvious poll I've ever seen on this site. Of course a meritocracy is the way to go.

Positive discrimination for any sort of recruitment is a bad policy. It can be used as a short term measure to redress imbalances in terms of diversity in a work force but in the long it causes nothing but problems.

Whether we are talking football or any other walk of life, you need hire people based on merit, focusing on other factors is just bullsh*t in my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
              Probably the most obvious poll I've ever seen on this site. Of course a meritocracy is the way to go.

Positive discrimination for any sort of recruitment is a bad policy. It can be used as a short term measure to redress imbalances in terms of diversity in a work force but in the long it causes nothing but problems.

Whether we are talking football or any other walk of life, you need hire people based on merit, focusing on other factors is just bullsh*t in my opinion!
              In that case, and I repeat, why has Rooney Rule gained the stature it has in sport?

Why has our own DoF spoken out in favour of it?

Moreover, why has he already implemented it under his tenure?

Rooney Rule is the opposite of Meritocracy, yet quite obviously it has its wealth of advocates.

Are you therefore saying you disagree with our DoF's own approach?

Comment

The Rooney Rule is only about giving interviews rather than hiring so in that sense I can see some use for it however it should never be about filling a certain amount of jobs with minorities. Best candidate should always get the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
                  Surely there is only one way this poll can go (once we check the three definitions in the dictionary)
                  EDIT: I think if I created this poll I would be accused of trolling
                  Precisely my point.

Sorry Stan, at best it smacks of playing to the gallery.

EDIT: Although I do take your point. But can you see mine?

Comment

When you are genuinely confused over the choice of candidate, you should always look to the one with the biggest t*ts

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                      When you are genuinely confused over the choice of candidate, you should always look to the one with the biggest t*ts
                      I'll bear that in mind the next time I am interviewing
                      I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                        Yeah, might as well go for a female head coach now, because men keep letting us down.
                        Banning people is no longer my hobby,
                        but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
                        http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Originally posted by Hertford Hoop View Post
                          I'll bear that in mind the next time I am interviewing

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                            In that case, and I repeat, why has Rooney Rule gained the stature it has in sport?

Why has our own DoF spoken out in favour of it?

Moreover, why has he already implemented it under his tenure?

Rooney Rule is the opposite of Meritocracy, yet quite clearly it has its advocates.

Are you therefore saying you disagree with our DoF's own approach?
                            I definitely disagree with any form of positive discrimination. I've seen it at work first hand both in the Middle East (where they pay exorbitant salaries to UAE, Saudi & Qatari nationals) and South Africa, where companies are targeted on the amount of black employees they hire.

I have never seen any sort of positive discrimination actually work successfully in the long run. In the Middle East it has created a culture of excessive greed for local nationals applying for jobs. Often demanding 3 or 4 times what an expat would ask for the same job.

In South Africa it is leading to some really very big problems, with people being promoted and hired purely on their skin colour with little regard given to if they are capable of doing the job. The knock on effect is those that do not fit the required racial dynamic get disenchanted and either leave their jobs (or the country) or simply just lose interest and don't work as hard.....and this combined with people being promoted above their abilities leads to the whole system falling down. Just have a look at the South African rugby team if you want a clear example of the negative effects of positive discrimination.

Whilst neither of the above really apply to the situation with football managers of colour within the UK, in my eyes, it's clear that any policy of picking somebody based on skin colour rather than what is on their CV is a very dangerous game.

Personally I believe that dealing with discrimination by implementing a policy of positive discrimination is ridiculous. If you want to deal with racism and racial inequality then stop making race an issue. Focus fully on what somebody brings to the table and ignore what colour there skin is. This is the only solution in my eyes.

As to why people like Les are advocates of things like the Rooney Rule. Well I couldn't tell you. But in my eyes it is the PC culture we now have in the West taken to ridiculous new levels!
                            Last edited by Tarbie; 03-11-2016, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
                              The Rooney Rule is only about giving interviews rather than hiring (minorities) so in that sense I can see some use for it
                              But surely that implies that institutional racism still exists amongst owners of British football clubs, many of whom aren't even British themselves. However we can surely see this isn't the case when you look at the amount of foreign managers this country employs?

Comment

Working...
                              X