Stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stability

We have heard a lot about stability and the need to build proper foundations.

I agree in the main with that. Being based in Brighton I have seen their transformation from homeless on the verge of relegation out of the football league to fantastic stadium and consistent promotion challengers. Inevitably this has led to me trying to compare them with us.

Yes they have a new ground but they have had a lot of managerial changes in recent seasons for differing reasons. Despite being in a new ground they have not spent much. They have though not had to sell either so have largely kept the players they have wanted to, with a few exceptions.

Bloom has bank rolled the ground. Look behind that though and you have a board comprised of a number of people with long term links to the club. The coaching and youth system are also well established. To me this illustrates the benefits of stability along with a not large player turnover. They have also brought the fans with them along their difficult journey - that club/fan connection is there which I think we have largely lost. Whilst managers have changed other things haven't so they have been allowed to build to the consistency on the pitch they have.

So where do we compare? To be fair we have had two stabs at the Premiership in recent years and with linked relegations we were always going to have a high turnover of players. Our managerial appointments haven't worked.

What the last few years in mind I do think the board generally see where they have gone wrong and I like where they say the club is headed. There is an emphasis on ditching the big money signings (which have largely been a disaster) and concentrating on trying to sign players who are hungry and who will grow with the club. We have recruited a manager from League One who comes across well. There is a strong emphasis on trying to get the youth and training system right and it will be some years before that comes to any meaningful fruition but it is vital this is done and we are all patient.

However something is not working. Whilst we are in transition we don't actually have a bad squad for this league at all. Two good goalies, on paper a solid defence, any number of central midfield options. Out wide we do need Pavel and Yeni to acclimatise and bed in so until they do weak on wings and lacking any real quality up front. What concerns me is the lack of any real shape, not much cohesion and no presence. We are supposedly set up to be difficult to beat but after two good wins at the start our record is 3-5-6 so we are not difficult to beat, do not look solid, struggle in possession and are toothless!

As many others have said it is simply no fun. The football almost gets in the way of having a good time. I don't have the answer but fear JFH is not it. I can't help feeling a good manager would be getting more out of these players.

I do think the board have learned and will get it right but they should be looking at the manager. The loss on Friday, the unprecedented 6-0 at home to Newcastle, the terrible unentertaining football. Fans will get fed up. JFH either needs some help (McClaren type support) or we probably do need to look at a change.

Very good post and hard to disagree with any of it.

Comment

Good post and agree wholeheartedly about no shape which after 2 windows and 11 months is a joke.

Comment

Trouble with Shepherds Bush (and rest of London's neighbourhoods) is there's no civic pride or sense of identity. Brighton is sort of "their team" representing a big catchment area in a comfy middle class area with plenty of disposable income. Even a place like, I dunno, Scunthorpe would take 25000 fans to a Wembley FA Cup final...... most of them would probably have not been to a game previously but would get caught up in the local/civic pride and go and support their local team. I don't think we can ever get that same sort of pull in Shepherds Bush. Personally, I think the only way we can attract fans is to slash admission prices.... I cant think how else we can induce an apathetic local populous to turn up and watch the dross served up at LR.

Comment

JFH doesnt need support he needs replacing ....

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
            Trouble with Shepherds Bush (and rest of London's neighbourhoods) is there's no civic pride or sense of identity. Brighton is sort of "their team" representing a big catchment area in a comfy middle class area with plenty of disposable income. Even a place like, I dunno, Scunthorpe would take 25000 fans to a Wembley FA Cup final...... most of them would probably have not been to a game previously but would get caught up in the local/civic pride and go and support their local team. I don't think we can ever get that same sort of pull in Shepherds Bush. Personally, I think the only way we can attract fans is to slash admission prices.... I cant think how else we can induce an apathetic local populous to turn up and watch the dross served up at LR.
            We took 40,000+ to Wembley....

Comment

Keep Hasselblank and we will be lucky to get 400.

Comment

milk cup we owned wembley,well off the pitch that is .lol
                Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                  We have heard a lot about stability and the need to build proper foundations.

I agree in the main with that. Being based in Brighton I have seen their transformation from homeless on the verge of relegation out of the football league to fantastic stadium and consistent promotion challengers. Inevitably this has led to me trying to compare them with us.

Yes they have a new ground but they have had a lot of managerial changes in recent seasons for differing reasons. Despite being in a new ground they have not spent much. They have though not had to sell either so have largely kept the players they have wanted to, with a few exceptions.

Bloom has bank rolled the ground. Look behind that though and you have a board comprised of a number of people with long term links to the club. The coaching and youth system are also well established. To me this illustrates the benefits of stability along with a not large player turnover. They have also brought the fans with them along their difficult journey - that club/fan connection is there which I think we have largely lost. Whilst managers have changed other things haven't so they have been allowed to build to the consistency on the pitch they have.

So where do we compare? To be fair we have had two stabs at the Premiership in recent years and with linked relegations we were always going to have a high turnover of players. Our managerial appointments haven't worked.

What the last few years in mind I do think the board generally see where they have gone wrong and I like where they say the club is headed. There is an emphasis on ditching the big money signings (which have largely been a disaster) and concentrating on trying to sign players who are hungry and who will grow with the club. We have recruited a manager from League One who comes across well. There is a strong emphasis on trying to get the youth and training system right and it will be some years before that comes to any meaningful fruition but it is vital this is done and we are all patient.

However something is not working. Whilst we are in transition we don't actually have a bad squad for this league at all. Two good goalies, on paper a solid defence, any number of central midfield options. Out wide we do need Pavel and Yeni to acclimatise and bed in so until they do weak on wings and lacking any real quality up front. What concerns me is the lack of any real shape, not much cohesion and no presence. We are supposedly set up to be difficult to beat but after two good wins at the start our record is 3-5-6 so we are not difficult to beat, do not look solid, struggle in possession and are toothless!

As many others have said it is simply no fun. The football almost gets in the way of having a good time. I don't have the answer but fear JFH is not it. I can't help feeling a good manager would be getting more out of these players.

I do think the board have learned and will get it right but they should be looking at the manager. The loss on Friday, the unprecedented 6-0 at home to Newcastle, the terrible unentertaining football. Fans will get fed up. JFH either needs some help (McClaren type support) or we probably do need to look at a change.
                  They're already a tad unhappy
                  I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Working...
                  X