One for Nasser's little book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
    Hmmm not quite sure he's the best player in the champ, think that might just be a little bit of an overstatement lad......
    I agree... hence best centre mid
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy View Post
      Absolute dross that game, professional premiership gross, glad I only watched MOTD, oh wait, where have I heard that word?

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
        Must be the best player in the championship???????
        I don't think Nasser has ever said that. Best CM, yes. Player, no.
        Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
        Pawel Wszolek - 6
        Luke Freeman - 6
        Matt Smith - 6
        Ebere Eze - 4
        Joel Lynch - 3
        Tomer Hemed - 3
        Toni Leistner - 2
        Massimo Luongo- 2
        Angel Rangel - 2
        Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
        Geoff Cameron - 1
        Aramide Oteh - 1
        Jake Bidwell - 1
        Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

That's what I meant sorry Nasser - Not quite sure he is the best centre mid in the championship.

Pretty sure Jonjo Shelvey with 5 assists so far would be top of that list

It's a big statmenet to make when we don't see enough of other clubs centre midfielders, don't you think?

Will Hughes, Bradley Johnson, Diame, Tom Cairney, Jonny Howson, Dale Stephens, Barry Bannan, Peter Whittingham, Alan Judge, Gunnarsson
          Last edited by West London is Rss; 18-10-2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
            Best centre mid* in the championship
            only quoting your words as you described in another thread if you remember correctly you stated best midfielder in the Championship

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
              only quoting your words as you described in another thread if you remember correctly you stated best midfielder in the Championship
              Correct... unfortunately for your point... that's not the same as best player in the championship.
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

That's what I meant sorry Nasser - Not quite sure he is the best centre mid in the championship.

It's a big statmenet to make when we don't see enough of other clubs centre midfielders, don't you think?

Will Hughes, Bradley Johnson, Diame, Tom Cairney, Jonny Howson, Dale Stephens, Barry Bannan, Peter Whittingham, Alan Judge, Gunnarsson
                It is a big statement to make, but one where I have enough evidence backing my statement that it isn't particularly incorrect from a non biased point of view.

Comment

Not a chance Luongo is the best centre mid in the championship, not a chance...

You've just disregarded all of the players I've written down - Jonjo Shelvey the main one.

Take those rose tinted glasses off for once FFS.

Try this link on for size...

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...e-at-newcastle
                  Last edited by West London is Rss; 18-10-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Luongo is a very good player probably our best player if I'm honest. Not the best in the league though, Cairney from Fulham always stands out for me. Every time I've watched him play he's been mustard and creates, scores goals.

Comment

Luongo is not even the best or second best Australian CM in the league - He's behind Mooy and Jedinak in that regard. As far as adding goals and attacking influence to his game - that's the exact type of player he was at swindon and is for the Australian national team - often playing in a more advanced position.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
                        Luongo is a very good player probably our best player if I'm honest. Not the best in the league though, Cairney from Fulham always stands out for me. Every time I've watched him play he's been mustard and creates, scores goals.
                        Have to agree - a very good player for us though I'd like to see him more involved in the final third which could happen once Borysiuk gets regular games.

Cairney is a quality midfielder. Always thought Lansbury has looked decent against us too.

Comment

Not a chance Luongo is the best centre mid in the championship, not a chance...

You've just disregarded all of the players I've written down - Jonjo Shelvey the main one.

Take those rose tinted glasses off for once FFS.

Try this link on for size...

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...e-at-newcastle
                          Perhaps you should take those anti-everything-we-do-right-now glasses off and take a look at this image detailing the best performing players when played as centre mids and defensive mids in the league last season:

And here's the one for this season:

Now, you'll notice that Shelvey and Hourihane are ahead this season. Bear in mind that Shelvey is playing for probably the best team in this division and Luongo is playing for (as you would put it) anti-football QPR. Hourihane has had 10 games at this level and is the centre of everything his club does, they built around him, whereas we've built around Chery. Those two are the only players I would say that are in legitimate direct competition with Luongo for that position and the one thing they have going for them is that they are deployed higher up and as a result are more capable of scoring and assisting whereas we have 4 players that play the roles ahead of Luongo.

All that leads me to be is even more impressed by the numbers of Luongo in that for 2 seasons straight he's been playing a deep role and doing amazingly at it. He does different things to those guys and excels at them. They do different things that they excel at but Luongo for me has the on the ball technique to significantly surpass these two and as defensive ability and aerial ability that those two can only dream of. Plus, Luongo has had to deal with Henry alongside him most of the season, a much less mobile partner than the other two have had. So for me, no rose tinted glasses, no sh it like that, just purely factually, since joining us, Luongo has shown longevity and ability, able to perform to a high standard irrespective of the team's form.

Comment

Hmmm not quite sure he's the best player in the champ, think that might just be a little bit of an overstatement lad......
                            Very much so sn overstatement.
                            Until he adds some goals to his game plus more assists, he will remain a decent midfielder.

Comment

Shelvey also scores some crackers.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                                Very much so sn overstatement.
                                Until he adds some goals to his game plus more assists, he will remain a decent midfielder.
                                While you're at it, go ahead and call Shaun Derry a "decent midfielder" at this level, that guy never scored.

Comment

Working...
                                X