• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vanhoop View Post
    Watch Neil get the taffs up the league
    If you insist Van.

Comment

Originally posted by amusant View Post
      Are there any good managers out there and how easy is it to find one?

After a few bad results most club message boards want rid of the manager, but just how do you find a good manager?

Well there appear to be four approaches:

1. Pick someone with a long unblemished track record
      2. Pay top dollar for the best in the world
      3. Pick someone who is unproven but impresses at the interview
      4. Promote that gem you've uncovered who is already at the club.

Let's take David Wagner at Huddersfield ...star of the moment...his track record is close to non-existent - managed Borrusia Dortmund second team, got them from the 4th division to the 3rd then grubbed around at the bottom of that division before leaving. So he was a 3 that worked, as opposed to his 25 predecessors in the last 20 years who with the exception of Neil Warnock and Simon Grayson, didn't achieve a lot.

Then there's the glorious Jose Mourinho, best in the world (?), unblemished track record, but now looking distinctly dodgy goods after being sacked after his abysmal failure last season.

Of course long unblemished track records don't really exist but the two who come closest below the Premier League are Cardiff's new manager, Derby's soon to be old one and Brighton's manager. The first two are, let's say, interesting personalities and sadly neither works well with a DOF, so not apparently for us.

So in recent years we've had a number of 2's, tried a 4 and are now with a 3...none of whom have exactly lit the world up.

So if JFH is fired where do we go? Pep is otherwise engaged so, this year's Chris Ramsay, another Hughes/Arry or lucky dip with an unproven manager?
      Haven't we done all of those since Fernandes bought the club?

It's always a role of the dice isn't it? Look at Villa, probably thought they were onto a winner landing a Champions League winning manager in the Championship, everyone's favourites along with Newcastle to go up and they can't win a game.

Comment

Maybe we should look to Soton and Watford. They have it usually spot on when it comes to managers.
        QPR
        Best team in the world
        Sort of

Comment

This is a very very good point and I think it just highlights the fact that as a club, we've been unlucky. We've done literally everything in the handbook (so to speak) and the result hasn't been positive overall. Hopefully our 3 does work out and I really still have faith that it will, but we might have to start from scratch all over again.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

If you're gonna pick a new manager in term time, after the final whistle on the last match pre international break is a sensible option.

One that we have chosen to ignore in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
              If you're gonna pick a new manager in term time, after the final whistle on the last match pre international break is a sensible option.

One that we have chosen to ignore in the past.
              Good thing we aren't looking for a new manager
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                If you insist Van.
                Cardiff have answered the how to pick a manager hubs. Neil is without a shadow of a doubt head and shoulders above our Jimmy . Feel quite jealous mate
                Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                  Haven't we done all of those since Fernandes bought the club?

It's always a role of the dice isn't it? Look at Villa, probably thought they were onto a winner landing a Champions League winning manager in the Championship, everyone's favourites along with Newcastle to go up and they can't win a game.
                  Speaking of Villa, Steve Bruce is odds on to get the job. So that's them climbing the table along with Cardiff.
                  Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                  Pawel Wszolek - 6
                  Luke Freeman - 6
                  Matt Smith - 6
                  Ebere Eze - 4
                  Joel Lynch - 3
                  Tomer Hemed - 3
                  Toni Leistner - 2
                  Massimo Luongo- 2
                  Angel Rangel - 2
                  Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                  Geoff Cameron - 1
                  Aramide Oteh - 1
                  Jake Bidwell - 1
                  Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
                    Speaking of Villa, Steve Bruce is odds on to get the job. So that's them climbing the table along with Cardiff.
                    "You know nothing Ginger Ninja":

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                      Who knows?
                      QPR
                      Best team in the world
                      Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                        and lets just hope those words don't come back to haunt us....

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                          and lets just hope those words don't come back to haunt us....
                          Why would they? If we're in that situation, plenty of managers are available. Here's a list I've put up here before. Take a look if you want.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/train...iner/statistik

Comment

Why not pick Ryan Giggs - loads of experience - Swansea didn't want him - why not us?

Comment

Originally posted by bigray View Post
                              Why not pick Ryan Giggs - loads of experience - Swansea didn't want him - why not us?
                              who has he managed ?

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
                                who has he managed ?
                                Man U when Moyes was sacked and did well

Comment

Working...
                                X