We play like a Serie A side in the wrong formation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We play like a Serie A side in the wrong formation

Having watched both us and many a game in serie a this season. I have come to the conclusion that, the aim is for us to play that slow methodical way, being in the correct position on the pitch, stopping attacks, then waiting for a chance to come from a winger or a set piece. I was watching Udinese-Chievo today and it almost felt at times like it was a testimonial match. the slow pace.

Now this way of playing is ok and I actually enjoy serie a football the most butr and this is a big but. Udinese had the players to play that system, they were playing a 442, all midfielders were about making sure they were covering the other players and getting back and then when they had a chance to break, they did and they had multiple options to find a striker. The first goal came from Halfredsson cross after he broke rank when Chievo lost the ball, it was a fantastic ball and Zapata (former napoli player who is big strong and powerful, came from deep and headed it in).

This is another issue with 451 is that the lone striker always has to be up top and high as there is no outlet otherwise. But with a 442 it allows one to drop deep and also it allows them to hold it up better together. It would require our wingers to be more disciplined and less winger esque but I hoppe eventually the formation changes. As currently I think how JFH wants to play doesnt work with this formation.

Just to let you know, Udinese played a 4312 with a set of central midfield, two of whom effectively played as wingers, weird to see given the lack of pace Hallfredsson has. Having a full back like armero always helps because they can run up and do the damage from the wings. I agree with you though, we're playing Serie A football for sure. And I think that we can play something like this and succeed, perhaps even with Cousins as one of the wider midfielders and even though I'm not his biggest Fan, Gladwin plays the way they do as well.

BTW Zapata was almost about to sign for us a couple of seasons ago, even going so far as to land in England to my recollection, before complications in the deal of sorts led to him heading to Napoli. Would have been a great signing.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Armero is very useful. Bidwell obviously not as quick but I think could.still work. What happened to Robinson? So it would be Cousins Luongo and Gladwin with Chery as the one infront. Could Luongo play as one of the wide central midfielders?
      Didn't know that but he would have been great.

Comment

Originally posted by nanocopic View Post
        Armero is very useful. Bidwell obviously not as quick but I think could.still work. What happened to Robinson? So it would be Cousins Luongo and Gladwin with Chery as the one infront. Could Luongo play as one of the wide central midfielders?
        Didn't know that but he would have been great.
        Possibly, it might get more attacking work out of him for sure, but he's so good at the defensive stuff as well.

Robinson is such a disappointing story. Legitimately good player from what I've seen and heard and quite pacy. Bidwell is good defensively and on the ball, but getting up and down the pitch, his movement is limited.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Please tell me this thread is supposed to be a joke.....?

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
            Please tell me this thread is supposed to be a joke.....?
            Why? Because it gives a reason for how we play that you disagree with?

Comment

Can't agree. We play slow, laborious and safe not like an Italian side

Comment

No. Haven't you seen enough of Gladwin to know he's not good enough? I don't rate Bidwell but if I accept your opinion that he is good defensively then it still doesn't explain why JFH bought him to play in a system that needs full backs to attack and cross a ball when he can do neither. Forget midfield combos of the players we have - NONE of them are good enough to play the Jimmy way. If Washington was bought to play one up again, that is a terrible signing. You can't have a three touch centre forward when he's isolated. Polter gets away with it, just, because he's a handful and in your face all the time. To liken us to an Italian team in any way is crazy. Italian football is boringly effective but you do get some brilliance in there as well. Brilliant isn't a word we'll be using much this season with our squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
                  No. Haven't you seen enough of Gladwin to know he's not good enough? I don't rate Bidwell but if I accept your opinion that he is good defensively then it still doesn't explain why JFH bought him to play in a system that needs full backs to attack and cross a ball when he can do neither. Forget midfield combos of the players we have - NONE of them are good enough to play the Jimmy way. If Washington was bought to play one up again, that is a terrible signing. You can't have a three touch centre forward when he's isolated. Polter gets away with it, just, because he's a handful and in your face all the time. To liken us to an Italian team in any way is crazy. Italian football is boringly effective but you do get some brilliance in there as well. Brilliant isn't a word we'll be using much this season with our squad.
                  I don't think he's good enough at what we've asked him to do, but he does come across like he plays a sort of central player drifting wide so it could work. What made you think our full backs need to attack and cross the ball? What do you want from the side? We've got 4 naturally offensive players in every line up. More than enough, full backs are there to cover in this system.
                  Next, you really think none of them are good enough to play the Jimmy way? Ever watched Luongo play for us? You haven't even seen Ariel and you're writing him off? Cousins has played 2 matches in the middle and you're writing him off?
                  Washington was brought to give us options. He came in under the pretence of being a young, talented, English striker with lower league experience. Some signings do work out, some don't.
                  Likening us to an Italian team is extremely logical, we just wouldn't be a very good one. But in terms of style, we're much closer than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                    Can't agree. We play slow, laborious and safe not like an Italian side
                    To be fair, he didn't say a good Italian side. They've gotta have teams playing poor over there as well, no?

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                      I don't think he's good enough at what we've asked him to do, but he does come across like he plays a sort of central player drifting wide so it could work. What made you think our full backs need to attack and cross the ball? What do you want from the side? We've got 4 naturally offensive players in every line up. More than enough, full backs are there to cover in this system.
                      Next, you really think none of them are good enough to play the Jimmy way? Ever watched Luongo play for us? You haven't even seen Ariel and you're writing him off? Cousins has played 2 matches in the middle and you're writing him off?
                      Washington was brought to give us options. He came in under the pretence of being a young, talented, English striker with lower league experience. Some signings do work out, some don't.
                      Likening us to an Italian team is extremely logical, we just wouldn't be a very good one. But in terms of style, we're much closer than you think.
                      I didn't write anyone off. That's you doing your usual of interpreting opinions to suit your argument. We haven't bought players that are going to take us forward and they aren't good enough to play the way JFH is trying to play. I like Ariel from what I've seen - even though he's a red card waiting to happen, tackles like Diakite. No, I've made no secret to my mates that I don't get the Luongo love in. Works hard, no pace, doesn't get forward. As for attacking full backs....watch the number of times we need an extra bit of width and it isn't there. Chery aside, where is the creativity in this squad? No doubt you will say Luongo but I've not seen it.

Comment

Working...
                      X