Chery discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    That's all well and good Nik, but his form has definitely dropped the last few games. In general we can't be carrying players. IMO if a player stops performing you drop them and bring someone else in - we have the squad to cope with it. No player has a divine right to play on reputation alone.

Saying all that, do we change a winning team for tomorrow? Possibly not, but that's another matter.
    2 games where he hasn't been at his best and in the last one he won the ball back and played the pass to luongo that led to the goal. He gets things done and he's involved in every phase of the match. No way IMO that he should be dropped.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      2 games where he hasn't been at his best
      2 games where he's been poor more like. Other games he's been anonymous or ineffective.

I'm not calling for him to be dropped necessarily, but something's not quite there with him lately. His corners v Bristol were shocking for example, and even had to let Gladwin take a FK instead of him. Maybe he needs a change of role, or maybe he just needs to pull his finger out and understand that he's not indispensable.

Comment

IMO Chery has been less effective recently as he works best linking up with someone up top. Started to do it with Polter and now has to work it out again with Washington/Sylla.

Also, I'd rather drop him than play him on the L/R of midfield.

Comment

He's been off form recently but you can't drop our only creative player and most creative player in the league so far. As Nasser said he played a part in our goal the other day.
          "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

Chery's corners were woeful the other night!

Off form recently but wouldn't drop him, I feel he's one of our select few that can produce some quality in the final 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
              Chery's corners were woeful the other night!

Off form recently but wouldn't drop him, I feel he's one of our select few that can produce some quality in the final 3rd.
              Chery had inconsistency with his corners, a couple were really poor, but he delivered 3 really phenomenal set pieces. Perfect height and power on them. The fact is that we get enough corners to be comfortable allowing a couple of them to not be good in order to get those great deliveries too.
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Chery had inconsistency with his corners, a couple were really poor, but he delivered 3 really phenomenal set pieces. Perfect height and power on them. The fact is that we get enough corners to be comfortable allowing a couple of them to not be good in order to get those great deliveries too.
                I was at the game and no set piece was "phenomenal". They were mostly woeful. Can't beat the first man most of the time and when they did they went too far. For it to be phenomenal something has to come of it.

You described Yen's performance against Swindon as "phenomenal". He played well, got a goal but hardly set the world alight or looked a class above anyone else.

Comment

he delivered 3 really phenomenal set pieces.
                  Unbelievable.

Nasser, with all due respect, that is complete nonsense mate. You are either on the wind up, or you need to look up the definition of phenomenal...or you need to get your eyes tested. For someone claiming to be a statistician some of your posts are truly shocking, and are in fact the polar opposite of statistical.

Comment

Originally posted by SammyKojoe View Post
                    I was at the game and no set piece was "phenomenal". They were mostly woeful. Can't beat the first man most of the time and when they did they went too far. For it to be phenomenal something has to come of it.

You described Yen's performance against Swindon as "phenomenal". He played well, got a goal but hardly set the world alight or looked a class above anyone else.
                    I was at the game too, and you really ought to rewatch the match on player, particularly these minutes on the video: 6.35; 7.20; 9.40; 19.20 (a deep back post corner played back into the middle); 33.40; 52.25; 1:07:50. Considering he took 11 corners all night and I'd say these were all at the very least good deliveries, I'd say he's done well with them. As I said, 3 of them were particularly great deliveries that should have been put away.

His set pieces are extremely varied which means that teams can't prepare for them really. Some go front post and flat, some go back post and high to be played back into the middle, but for 7 of your 11 deliveries to be very good, I'd say that's quite the opposite of woeful.

As for Yeni, his performance in that match was man of the match worthy and again, watching the motm video on youtube, you can see his talent, unlike sandro, he won that not because of the goal, but because of how well he did for the rest of the match. It is just Swindon but he did very well all game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                      Unbelievable.

Nasser, with all due respect, that is complete nonsense mate. You are either on the wind up, or you need to look up the definition of phenomenal...or you need to get your eyes tested. For someone claiming to be a statistician some of your posts are truly shocking, and are in fact the polar opposite of statistical.
                      Statistically, Chery hit 11 corners with 6 of them reaching the head of one of our players. So statistically, he hit at least 6 good corners. Statistically, 4 of those corners led directly to a shot on goal so statistically, he did a very good job on corners, considering he created 4 direct opportunities to score.

Comment

• Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                        Statistically, Chery hit 11 corners with 6 of them reaching the head of one of our players.
                        And therein lies the problem with stats. What that doesn't tell you is that the corners were hit too long and landed on one of our players having to stretch on the far end of the box; thereby not getting enough power or direction on the header to create a goalscoring opportunity. The fact is our corners ran into double figures, the first couple Chery took were decent, but they got worse and worse after that, until eventually someone else took over from him. To sum up, his corner taking was total sh|te against Bristol and none of your misleading and massaging of stats will change that. And to describe his set pieces as 'phenomenal' is utterly absurd.

Comment

And therein lies the problem with stats. What that doesn't tell you is that the corners were hit too long and landed on one of our players having to stretch on the far end of the box; thereby not getting enough power or direction on the header to create a goalscoring opportunity. The fact is our corners ran into double figures, the first couple Chery took were decent, but they got worse and worse after that, until eventually someone else took over from him. To sum up, his corner taking was total sh|te against Bristol and none of your misleading and massaging of stats will change that. And to describe his set pieces as 'phenomenal' is utterly absurd.
                          Again, watch the corners just like I did and you'll see that they didn't get worse and worse by any means and in fact, Gladwin only took the role later on for one corner to bring more unpredictability since he's right footed and can swing it in differently. I've given you a list of minutes for the 90 minutes on player to watch, I suggest you watch them.

Comment

• Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                            Again, watch the corners just like I did and you'll see that they didn't get worse and worse by any means and in fact, Gladwin only took the role later on for one corner to bring more unpredictability since he's right footed and can swing it in differently. I've given you a list of minutes for the 90 minutes on player to watch, I suggest you watch them.
                            I watched the whole game on Player too and clearly we were watching a different game. Besides I wasn't only referring to his corners but his general suffering form over the last few games.

Comment

I watched the whole game on Player too and clearly we were watching a different game. Besides I wasn't only referring to his corners but his general suffering form over the last few games.
                              But the particular point was regarding his corners, which is why I thought it was harsh as his corner delivery was quite good in general, bar a few that were too deep and didn't even make it in. I watched the game overall finally and I thought he had a decent game, got involved all over the pitch and made the tackle along with Perch to get us the goal. It's not as spectacular as he could be doing, but he's not exactly done badly, he's sort of being a 6.5-7 as opposed to being an 8 or 9 at this level regularly.

Comment

• Oh boy !

I'm losing the will to live.

Comment

Working...
                                X