Kerry Dixon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
    My question was is there anything the clubs can do to prevent this? With more and more money in the game I can see this problem getting worse.
    I think the answer is certainly yes, they could do more. There are a few charities out there such as XPro but no real commitment from clubs individually to provide support for when their career ends. At the moment it is forcing players to seek it out when it needs to be more part of the norm when leaving the game that you go see someone for a good period of time after. The huge wage drop, no longer thousands of people cheering you every week must be a massive change.

Comment

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
      My question was is there anything the clubs can do to prevent this? With more and more money in the game I can see this problem getting worse.
      Read above

Comment

I don't sympathie for them Ramsey but do you think a well Known newspaper should leave a pack of beers on the doorstep for an ex footballer to neck back Ramsey? Makes for yet another great headline. I think you need to look at the bigger picture mate
        I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

it will never stop , some people know when the parties over some don't .

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
            it will never stop , some people know when the parties over some don't .
            Exactly. People tried their hardest with George Best, Gascoigne and many others. Some will respond to treatment, some won't. When it comes to addiction you have to truly want to help yourself before anyone else can.
            Obviously some footballers may have deeper personal issues than just not coping with the lack of adulation/high they got from playing the game but for the ones that just can't deal with the "quiet" life, post being a football star, I can't find it in me to be too sympathetic when there are ex servicemen who've fought for their country for peanuts, living on the streets and committing suicide at an alarming rate.
            “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
            Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
              I don't sympathie for them Ramsey but do you think a well Known newspaper should leave a pack of beers on the doorstep for an ex footballer to neck back Ramsey? Makes for yet another great headline. I think you need to look at the bigger picture mate
              your picking one story and one "reported" incident, then saying i need to look at the bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
                Exactly. People tried their hardest with George Best, Gascoigne and many others. Some will respond to treatment, some won't. When it comes to addiction you have to truly want to help yourself before anyone else can.
                Obviously some footballers may have deeper personal issues than just not coping with the lack of adulation/high they got from playing the game but for the ones that just can't deal with the "quiet" life, post being a football star, I can't find it in me to be too sympathetic when there are ex servicemen who've fought for their country for peanuts, living on the streets and committing suicide at an alarming rate.
                i'm from a big council estate in sw london and i know of a 100 people that have died from addiction , i also know 20/30 that have cleaned up their act ... i i did voluntary work in that field for a while and those that want to clean up have got no chance , those that really want to clean up have no chance .... but those that really really really want to clean up and are willing to change are in with a chance

Comment

i'm from a big council estate in sw london and i know of a 100 people that have died from addiction , i also know 20/30 that have cleaned up their act ... i i did voluntary work in that field for a while and those that want to clean up have got no chance , those that really want to clean up have no chance .... but those that really really really want to clean up and are willing to change are in with a chance
                  That's about the crux of it.
                  Fair play to you for trying to make a difference to other people's lives.
                  “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
                  Will Danaher

Comment

fair play to you 72, for getting away from the drugs and trying to help others
                    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                    This morning's tempest I have to cross
                    I must be guided without a stumble
                    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
                      spot on mate , my partner at work was c- mob in his wild days of drink and drugs . Been clean for 15 years now , council estates are full of immigrants these days so no call on being tough . The soldiers that protect us are the real men and always will be.
                      Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

Working...
                      X