X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onuoha

In team of the week

http://www.qpr.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=459018

We should start playing Chief at Centre Forward - he seems to know where the back of the net is! "Nedum's on fire, your defence is terrified......"

Comment

#HesNotGoodEnough
      #ShouldntBeCaptain
      #CantBeTrustedOnTheBall

Congrats Chief, long may your success at this club continue.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
        #HesNotGoodEnough
        #ShouldntBeCaptain
        #CantBeTrustedOnTheBall

Congrats Chief, long may your success at this club continue.
        Why so snarky? We're all fans on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
          Why so snarky? We're all fans on here.
          I've gotten plenty of stick for backing Ned, I'm merely giving back what I've had to deal with. We are all fans, but people have given him way too much stick on here and some at the stadium have been racially disgusting in their discussions about him at cup games where the usual people around me are replaced by some bell ends.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

I've gotten plenty of stick for backing Ned, I'm merely giving back what I've had to deal with. We are all fans, but people have given him way too much stick on here and some at the stadium have been racially disgusting in their discussions about him at cup games where the usual people around me are replaced by some bell ends.
            I think most people are happy to see him back as a CB, myself included. What many took issue with (justifiably IMO) was him being played consistently at RB when we've had better options there.

If as you say, he is being racially abused at games then that is of course totally unacceptable, and every effort should be made to report, identify and ban the offenders.

Comment

Tbf Nas I dont think most people are going to change their mind about Ned because he made it into team of the week. (He wasnt even my MOM for the wigan game) You would hope most have formed their opinion based on watching him over a prolonged period and realising his strengths and limitations.

Comment

The reason you have taken a bit of stick fella is the words you use when describing Onoura. Anyone would think you were describing someone like Tony Adams the way you go on about him.
                It's all about opinions granted but you rave about him like he's the best centre half we've ever had yet many others don't rate him.

As for the racial stuff not too many people at LR would tolerate it if hearing it so I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                  I think most people are happy to see him back as a CB, myself included. What many took issue with (justifiably IMO) was him being played consistently at RB when we've had better options there.

If as you say, he is being racially abused at games then that is of course totally unacceptable, and every effort should be made to report, identify and ban the culprits.
                  I personally think he played extremely well at right back but it's not even the position thing people had issue with, they still criticise his play on the ball.

The guy has the pace to knock the ball past his man and just run, he's not the tight control dribbler that more attacking players are, but at right back, he only needs to do that to be a very good right back at this level and a top centre back, which he is in both cases.

The fact that only 4 players who've played every minute of football this season have a higher whoscored rating than him this season is limited justification because the rating is really dependant on the players position relative to his application. But add in the fact that he's one of the best tacklers in the league, he makes blocks like no other on our team and his recovery is phenomenal (just watch him covering for Caulker and Hall at the start of the season and Hall and Perch more recently), he is the first player to be aware to danger and make the move for it and he's our most creative defender statistically this season (played more successful non crossing open play key passes than anyone else in our defence and only Matt Doherty has made more in the league) AND to add on to all of that, he dribbles more than all but 2 defenders in the league and they are both naturalised full backs.

The kicker for me was that he did this last season as well and he did it regularly, but people still didn't give him credit for doing it, for being an actually solid captain and for being someone who actually cared about the club.

As for those who were racist to him at the cup matches, particularly swindon, calls of him being a monkey and the idea of putting a banana in the goal if he was going to step up for a penalty kick in the shootout were definitely said by the people who had taken the seats of my usual neighbours at the game.

Comment

I personally think rignt back is his best position, hes done a hell of a lot better there than he ever did at centre back.

Comment

I personally think he played extremely well at right back...
                      Yes, we've gathered that Nasser. Some just happen to disagree that's all; and that debate has been done to death on here frankly.

Comment

To be fair to Ned, he's been in that 'team of the week' a few times already this year? Right?

Comment

Originally posted by qpr4life View Post
                          To be fair to Ned, he's been in that 'team of the week' a few times already this year? Right?
                          Indeed he has. He's also in the regularly updated Championship team of the season on whoscored.com

Comment

I think so far that Ned has had an outstanding season. 2 goals as a defender after 5 league games (1 own goal, which was unfortunate). While he doesn't look the most comfortable going forward as a RB, he does manage to maraud his way into the opposing team's field quite effectively. I believe he also assisted Polter's goal vs Leeds. But even more importantly, he tracks back extremely well on defense. There were several times where he lost the ball offensively and made a great run back to make a block. For me, of the two full backs, he's had much more of an impact so far than Bidwell. I think people are judging him on his past RB play, which has been pretty bad, not this season IMO.

Comment

Nice one Ned. He's been great so far.
                              Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                              Pawel Wszolek - 6
                              Luke Freeman - 6
                              Matt Smith - 6
                              Ebere Eze - 4
                              Joel Lynch - 3
                              Tomer Hemed - 3
                              Toni Leistner - 2
                              Massimo Luongo- 2