• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
    Rhodes available for loan
    Ya we should definitely take him as we won't spend on a permanent striker

Comment

Polter looked like the player we saw early last year. Football brain went straight out the window
      Could I just put the point out; and I know it won't be taken particularly seriously; but with a player like polter who receives the ball in the air most of the time and is reliant on being able to read the path of the ball, the wind on Saturday completely f ark ed him. There were numerous times where he would position himself to receive the ball and the wind would shift the motion completely and he would end up jumping for nothing. Coming into the second half, it certainly improved a bit and that's when CW got his chance from the Chery ball. I hope that this game is a bit of a blip with regards to individual performances.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Greengrass View Post
        If we're impatient we'll destroy him.
        You're right, he's a talent

Comment

Have we at any stage in his 8 months played to his strengths? Through ball to run onto or has it been largely lump it up top? Small nippy strikers tend to struggle when the ball is being aimlessly lumped up top.

Comment

I saw on the highlights that Smithies collided with 4 players trying to reach that swirling cross, and he gets the blame from some for the goal that was an off target richochet.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
              Based on the fact he is bang average, at best.

27 league games for us without a single goal. Yes I know most of them games are from the bench, but still any striker worth his salt would have grabbed a couple by now.

Looking at his record it is also clear we bought him off the back of a purple patch, before Peterborough he scored 5 in 39 for Newport ffs.

He has been with us 8 months ffs hardly writing him off without any reason is it. You are very naive if you think Washington is suddenly going to become a Championship level player. He aint.
              Yes ok I am naive because I have a different opinion to you oh great one.

The 8 months you mention 3 were over the Summer so not really valid

Of those 27 games most of those appearances have been sub 10 mins. He is not going to do much in that time really and not doing much for his confidence having these tiny little Windows to show what he can do.

Peterborough fans used to love him I heard and that was only 1 level below so could step up if people including the management gave him a decent run.

Comment

Originally posted by THE CAT View Post

Of those 27 games most of those appearances have been sub 10 mins. He is not going to do much in that time really and not doing much for his confidence having these tiny little Windows to show what he can do.

Peterborough fans used to love him I heard and that was only 1 level below so could step up if people including the management gave him a decent run.
                The thing is JFH has actually came out and said that Washington doesn't fit into our formation, must be a massive knock to the confidence. So the question has to be asked, why was he ever bought in the first place? with our limited budget 2.5/3 million on a player that doesn't fit into our system is pretty f.ucking clueless.

Comment

The thing is JFH has actually came out and said that Washington doesn't fit into our formation, must be a massive knock to the confidence. So the question has to be asked, why was he ever bought in the first place? with our limited budget 2.5/3 million on a player that doesn't fit into our system is pretty f.ucking clueless.
                  As ever with the Rs, its the decision making off the field which is really questionable.

Comment

JFH has actually came out and said that Washington doesn't fit into our formation
                    Really? First I've heard of that. Do you have a link to where he's said this?

Comment

Originally posted by THE CAT View Post

Well actually no... only 7 of them have been under 27 minutes. In fact, splitting the match into the 0-14 minutes, 15-29 minutes, 30-44 minutes and 45+ minutes blocks, you have 5 under 15, 2 that are 15-29, 1 that is 30-44, and 8 that are over 45 minutes long... So that's not correct.

Peterborough fans said that of all the strikers they've lost recently, he's the most replaceable...
                      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

The question that needs to be answered is Can we afford to have 2.75 million signing on the bench every week? Lets also remember that he was bought from a team who played in the same league as the one our manager was managing in! I would like to see us play to his strengths and then form a decent opinion as upto now it has been too stop start. Even Austin the other night for Soton looked a shadow of the player we had.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                          The question that needs to be answered is Can we afford to have 2.75 million signing on the bench every week? Lets also remember that he was bought from a team who played in the same league as the one our manager was managing in! I would like to see us play to his strengths and then form a decent opinion as upto now it has been too stop start. Even Austin the other night for Soton looked a shadow of the player we had.
                          Price doesn't determine starting position, quality does.

Comment

Totally agree that price does not get you a starting place. My point is we have a manager who saw him up close in the same division before we potentially wasted best part of 3 million on him. And if he does not rate him who actually bought him?

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                              Totally agree that price does not get you a starting place. My point is we have a manager who saw him up close in the same division before we potentially wasted best part of 3 million on him. And if he does not rate him who actually bought him?
                              Seeing someone day to day train is different to watching them whenever they play against you or occasionally whenever they play other teams

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                                If someone criticizes Washington who's had 8 months and hasn't done as much as he should and his performances haven't been great either. Yesterday, he had maybe 3 chances? One of them was alright, the first one was the good first touch, bad everything else and the 3rd one was a rebound from a corner where his shot was unbelievably weak. He doesn't use his pace enough and he lacks height to be a constant threat without his pace. If he starts doing more like that run which led to a chance, he'll do fine, but he really needs to up it to that level consistently on his bench appearances.
                                Hes never started at home in a league game. Think he deserves a shot. He's not a right winger, but neither is Cousins. 442 and 433 didn't work for us yesterday largely because of the rubbish 4231 selection Jimmy fielded until we we're two down.

Comment

Working...
                                X