Are football fans changing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are football fans changing?

Trouble at football will of course never completely go away but I though it might be worth mentioning that I was really surprised how friendly thye fans at both Cardiff and Barnsley were in the bars and street both before and after our two recent games and these two use to always have potential for trouble both home and away it looks like a new breed of fan is now attending games

It is a lot more friendly these days. Boring aint it
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

There are a few exceptions but generally it is much safer than back in the seventies/eighties.

Comment

Originally posted by IsleworthRanger View Post
        Trouble at football will of course never completely go away but I though it might be worth mentioning that I was really surprised how friendly thye fans at both Cardiff and Barnsley were in the bars and street both before and after our two recent games and these two use to always have potential for trouble both home and away it looks like a new breed of fan is now attending games
        And long may it continue. Nothing better to have a good old friendly banter with the away lot.

Comment

Originally posted by IsleworthRanger View Post
          Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
          It is a lot more friendly these days. Boring aint it
          Historically, football was the working man's game. For many fans it would bring out their tribal and territorial instincts. Since many of these fans have been priced out of the game's market over the last 15-20 years it's changed the demography of the average fan. This new friendlier atmosphere we now see reflects this. Have they become more boring, or just more civilised? That's for whoever's reading this to decide...

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
            Historically, football was the working man's game. For many fans it would bring out their tribal and territorial instincts. Since many of these fans have been priced out of the game's market over the last 15-20 years it's changed the demography of the average fan. This new friendlier atmosphere we now see reflects this. Have they become more boring, or just more civilised? That's for whoever's reading this to decide...
            fans definately priced out of clubs like chelsea , arsenal , spurs and the manchester clubs but not at the likes of cardiff and barnsley they don't just have empty seats they have whole stands half full . stiff sentencing has stopped many however you have teams like millwall that seem to have a production lineof thugs , can remember when we played them at home in a night game it was havoc outside . many of the hooligans back in the day didn't even attend games they just hung around outside the home grounds looking for trouble

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
              And long may it continue. Nothing better to have a good old friendly banter with the away lot.
              Totally agree mate.......although I'm sure there a few on here that won't!

Comment

Plus there is more CCTV than there use to be, so more chance of getting caught for it.

Comment

anyone who went through the 70's-80's when it was prevalent knows it put off a very large percentage of fans going to games. The attendances were half what you get now. I went to Pompey one time and I counted 5 of us that got off at Fratton, didn't see that many more in the ground either
                  I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                  This morning's tempest I have to cross
                  I must be guided without a stumble
                  Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                    anyone who went through the 70's-80's when it was prevalent knows it put off a very large percentage of fans going to games. The attendances were half what you get now. I went to Pompey one time and I counted 5 of us that got off at Fratton, didn't see that many more in the ground either
                    went to WBA when i was about 14 , would say we had about 100 fans on a saturday. i got beaten up after the game by a mob of them one of them even had a beard so they were not kids . i knocked one of the them spark out in the 82 semi at highbury , revenge was sweet

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                      went to WBA when i was about 14 , would say we had about 100 fans on a saturday. i got beaten up after the game by a mob of them one of them even had a beard so they were not kids . i knocked one of the them spark out in the 82 semi at highbury , revenge was sweet
                      The Springbok pub had a coach to that game, parked it right with all the West Brom coaches. Took a few punches from some irate Albion fans, so you done me a favour too
                      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                      This morning's tempest I have to cross
                      I must be guided without a stumble
                      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

I got a slap away to wba when I was a 13 year old , proper dirty kannt was about 30 . We all lined up at smethwick st for train back to London and 2 older lads went and knocked this Baggie out , twas delighted. That's one team I hate and feel par for the course even today I'll knock out one of their kids then his old man. Only them and Luton get me goat, I don't think that sense of belonging ever leaves . Still kicking and punching and always will for QPR XX
                        Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

I know this topic has probably been done to death, but was the c-mob a serious firm? I've seen a video of some Luton fans getting properly turned over at Kings Cross, probably some of the best/worst fv I've seen. Most of it is blokes dancing around, but this looked like QPR were out for blood.

Comment

Ecstasy was a big influence on ending hooliganism in football. People got loved up instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
                              I know this topic has probably been done to death, but was the c-mob a serious firm? I've seen a video of some Luton fans getting properly turned over at Kings Cross, probably some of the best/worst fv I've seen. Most of it is blokes dancing around, but this looked like QPR were out for blood.
                              C-mob up there with the best
                              Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

Working...
                              X