Set Pieces, penalties...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set Pieces, penalties...

This is no knee jerk reaction or any real comment on last night (I don't think we need to be too down on that), but only issue with the team at the moment is that we have only scored from set pieces or penalties.

Do we think it's a lack of creativity, or lack of a natural goal scorer or both?

Only 3 games in though but just interested to hear some thoughts
    My old man never said be a Chelsea fan...

Originally posted by Cjskinz View Post
    This is no knee jerk reaction or any real comment on last night (I don't think we need to be too down on that), but only issue with the team at the moment is that we have only scored from set pieces or penalties.

Do we think it's a lack of creativity, or lack of a natural goal scorer or both?

Only 3 games in though but just interested to hear some thoughts
    To be honest mate, I haven't seen enough of us to make my mind up on what it could be - and I think others will be the same.

We've only had one league game at home and I din't go Cardiff or Barnsley.

Comment

Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
      To be honest mate, I haven't seen enough of us to make my mind up on what it could be - and I think others will be the same.

We've only had one league game at home and I din't go Cardiff or Barnsley.
      This is true, but we know the squad and their strengths weaknesses.

However, I'd take winning two out of three games through set pieces and pens through the whole season (fingers crossed)

Comment

This is true, but we know the squad and their strengths weaknesses.

However, I'd take winning two out of three games through set pieces and pens through the whole season (fingers crossed)
        Was 100% thinking the same, if someone had offered me 2 wins out of 3 and a first round cup win at the start of the season, I would have taken it.

A positive on last night would also be that we seem to be able to knuckle down and still cause problems when it doesn't look to be our night.
        We certainly don't just surrender like we used to!

Comment

Polters goal against Leeds didn't come from a setpiece or did it?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
            Polters goal against Leeds didn't come from a setpiece or did it?
            Good point, overlooked that one!

Re phrase it to every goal except Polter's one against Leeds...

Comment

What lept out to me last night listening to radio is that we never seemed to build up and sustained pressure from keeping the ball and the wingers and attacking midfielders hardly got a mention on commentary which suggests lack of involvement

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                What lept out to me last night listening to radio is that we never seemed to build up and sustained pressure from keeping the ball and the wingers and attacking midfielders hardly got a mention on commentary which suggests lack of involvement
                was evident all night mate. Polts being what he is (and very effective at that, not knocking him), he isnt going to make clever little runs behind defenders. Thought Yeni's movement was good and isnt afraid to get off the touchline and make runs inside. bar that, we seemed happy to go sideways with the aim of getting wide and putting a cross in. Nothing wrong with that i guess as it plays to Polts strength, but seemed a tad predictable last night.

I know not many rate him, but would have liked to see us bring CW on and gone with 2 up. Our Midfidlers wernt getting close to theirs anyway so didnt really matter if we lost a number in there (counting Cherry as midfield).

Overall thought we were a tad unlucky really. Nothing earth shattering needs to change

Comment

Think we all knew that Barnsley were very confident at home, so I'm not entirely surprised they staged a comeback and got a late winner.

Just how it goes in football, as we know, we've done it countless times at LR!

Comment

Good point, overlooked that one!

Re phrase it to every goal except Polter's one against Leeds...
                    Even that was from a free kick, albeit a free kick from around the half way line.. A long ball that Polter chased and out muscled the Leefs defender to score.

Truth is, the team lacks creativity and real pace.
                    They are set up to sit back and defend and kill time during the game, waiting for a set piece to score from. A bit like the Greece team tbat won the Euros in 2004.

There are some on this forum who seem to think that this is good. I however don't and would prefer to see a bit more attacking play. Just look at the stats. 2 shots on target and 1 corner at Cardiff. Had they been a bit better at creating chances, they would probably have won the game.
                    Last night QPR managed 3 shots on target (2 penalties) and again, 1 corner.

Those stats suggest to me that QPR do not really do a lot of attacking or there isnt a player who can play that decisive ball to create a goalscoring chance.

The 2nd half of the game against Leeds was the same. The only goalscoring chances (not many of them either) were from the opposition. Yes, QPR scored 2 goals - the 2nd was a penalty fron the rare attack into the Leeds area, and the 3rd a long free kick.

It's a negative approach to the game and yes, boring.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                      Even that was from a free kick, albeit a free kick from around the half way line.. A long ball that Polter chased and out muscled the Leefs defender to score.

Truth is, the team lacks creativity and real pace.
                      They are set up to sit back and defend and kill time during the game, waiting for a set piece to score from. A bit like the Greece team tbat won the Euros in 2004.

There are some on this forum who seem to think that this is good. I however don't and would prefer to see a bit more attacking play. Just look at the stats. 2 shots on target and 1 corner at Cardiff. Had they been a bit better at creating chances, they would probably have won the game.

Those stats suggest to me that QPR do not really do a lot of attacking or there isnt a player who can play that decisive ball to create a goalscoring chance.

The 2nd half of the game against Leeds was the same. The only goalscoring chances (not many of them either) were from the opposition. Yes, QPR scored 2 goals - the 2nd was a penalty fron the rare attack into the Leeds area, and the 3rd a long free kick.

It's a negative approach to the game and yes, boring.
                      I think you need to understand Stan that this team is a work in progress, it's no-where near the finished article - JFH has made no secret of the fact he wants us to control games more and be more attacking, and that he wants to bring a couple more attacking players into the club to help us with this.

To control games you need to start with being solid and have foundations in place. He has done that IMO, and that is the stage we are currently at.
                      A few more players in through the door and we'll be closer to the finished article.

Comment

I don't know about a lack of creativity, but 4 pens in 3 games is pretty good -- that's more than we had the whole of last season.
                        You support QPR?!?!

– Every Australian Ever

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

So, genuinely, what do the stats at home against Leeds suggest? 15 shots, 8 on target and 5 corners.

Comment

Slightly concerned

Concerned that the majority of our goals this season have come from the penalty spot and we haven't scored many from open play. I know polter has improved his game and his link up play is good , but he's not got the goals in him to get us promoted. We desperately need another striker such as bamford or Nakhi wells. Stop messing around and spend big on either of these two and it will near enough gurantee a play off spot at least. Even get rid of Washington to help fund the move as I think the championship is a league too far for Conor.

Comment

We're only just starting our new style of play, whereas Barnsley were months ahead, even be it in a lower division. The more we play it, the better we'll get.

PATIENCE

1. the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.

2. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay:

Comment

Working...
                              X